The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
Can everyone calm down a bit.

I don't know where the 425 rent is the norm, but around here that would likely get you a room in a shared rent, no way it's getting an actual flat. Around here £600 gets you a bedroom in a hmo or about a grand for a 1 bed flat.

Up north.

I pay £595 on a repayment mortgage on the house we live in (although we are like 10 years in), that's up from £400ish starting December when our new 3 year term starts on new rates. 3 bed, detached garage, semi detached house with 2 large gardens (can squeeze 8 cars on the driveway if you play tetris) and a view over farmland at the back.

No idea what it'd rent for but certainly less than a flat anywhere in the south.

Stuff living down south!

Soldato
Stuff living down south!
i am a cheshire lad myself and tried desperately to get a job in my field for over a year before giving up and looking down south.

unfortuntely work in my field is hugely skewed to Cambridge and a lesser extent oxford (and london of course, because isnt everything?!)

I dont do regrets and had i not followed this path i would never have met my wife............ but IF i could have guaranteed rejoining my life path to the same point that happened around say 2008, i do kind of wish i hadnt bottled it and had chased an opportunity i had much harder back in 1998 to join the British Antarctic survey......

(who knows........ they are partly based in Cambridge perhaps my life would have ultimately gone back to the same path)

but back on point, i do love it up north........ the scenery, the people, and sure the house prices as well - albeit they are going up a lot more than they used to be - at least around where i came from.

Last edited:
Associate
You’ve mixed me up with someone else

That's a lack of empathy with the entitled whingers banging on that life is hard and things are expensive.

You’re a very bitter individual. You should seek some help

It literally isn't. It's mainly a select few complaining endlessly about how rents are unaffordable and looking for an easy target to blame
nope, this sums up your contribution just a bitter man complaining ironically with no suggestions how to fix things :)

next attack my spelling or grammar maybe my chatbot like typing style anything but the subject

Associate
You've literally described yourself.
Now, unless you've actually got anything of merit to talk about then please stop posting utter nonsense in this thread.
and just resort to laughing emojing posts instead ? the higher form of debate

report my posts then the 3rd stage of not having an argument YOU don't get to mod ...

Associate
We rent it out at £425. And I agree, it's madness that people will rent it but won't/can't buy it & pay less overall.

The issue seems to be that the people who want it can't even get 5% together or lenders just won't touch them with a bargepole due to poor past decisions.

I want it, can you ship to Brighton? :D

Soldato
nope, this sums up your contribution just a bitter man complaining ironically with no suggestions how to fix things :)

next attack my spelling or grammar maybe my chatbot like typing style anything but the subject

Your spelling and grammar are pretty poor but you’ve derailed the topic enough so I’m saying no more to encourage your nonsense. For the first time ever I’ve used the Ignore button. Bye, bye!

Last edited:
Associate
Your spelling and grammar are pretty poor but you’ve derailed the topic enough so I’m saying no more to encourage your nonsense. For the first time ever I’ve used the Ignore button. Bye, bye!
Good, now if the other couple of posters that only seem to come in to attack anyone who says anything slightly critical of landlords and nothing else of merit ignore the thread it wouldn't get derailed problem solved :)

Soldato
come in to attack anyone

The issue is more with how you are responding. Your unnecessarily agressive posting manner does not help when you're trying to put your point of view across.

I don't know about England but in Wales we have Rent Smart Wales. Although it was initially a pain and has put people off becoming an LL and some LLs have got out due to RSW. It's really not a big issue and does offer decent levels of protection to the tennent. If the LL doesn't maintain the premises the tennent can just stop paying the rent and the LL can't remove because the tennent is being "difficult".

Personally, I've been incredily lucky with tennents I've had. My time as an LL is very much accidental. I've not increased the rent in years as I don't really need too. I know others that slap the highest rent they think they can get away with then wonder why the tennent either stops paying or doesn't hang around very long. I'm hoping that one tennent will be in a position to buy the house in a couple of years time. If Labour were really serious about getting people onto the housing ladder they could offer a CGT discount to LLs if they sell the house to existing tennents.

Soldato
Plans to force landlords to upgrade the energy efficiency of their homes have been scrapped.
This is very welcome and very sensible, although not surprising that it's been announced.
That is good as those plans where silly and would have done nothing but drastically increase rent by forcing upgrades that most renters don't even care about or wont really benefit from. I am not against energy efficiency improvements but the way those plans where set out was unfeasible. I agree with the lower grade improvements. It was the grade C+ that was unfeasible. Grades D and E should stay really though.

Soldato
Just to add..

One of the prime minister's key announcements was the scrapping of energy efficiency targets for landlords.
This has been partially welcomed by the National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA) but the body called for support to allow landlords to make such changes in the future.
Ben Beadle, chief executive of the group, says the uncertainty around energy efficiency policy has been "hugely damaging" to the supply of rented properties, with landlords "struggling to make investment decisions".
But, while he says it is welcome that landlords will not be forced to invest substantial sums during a cost-of-living crisis, he says ministers need to develop a plan to support the rental market to make the energy efficiency improvements "we all want to see".
"This must include appropriate financial support and reform of the tax system which currently fails to support investment in energy efficiency measures," Beadle says.

Man of Honour
Broadly speaking I think I agree with that statement.

Yes, there should be some kind of movement towards more energy efficient homes, be they new build/owned/rental or whatever.
But the emphasis should be on a gradual, incremental series of steps rather than a step-change. It needs to be managed realistically, most landlords are not going to be sitting around on a big wedge of capital to make a large investment in potentially multiple houses at once.

Caporegime
Broadly speaking I think I agree with that statement.

Yes, there should be some kind of movement towards more energy efficient homes, be they new build/owned/rental or whatever.
But the emphasis should be on a gradual, incremental series of steps rather than a step-change. It needs to be managed realistically, most landlords are not going to be sitting around on a big wedge of capital to make a large investment in potentially multiple houses at once.
What incentives do Landlords have to improve the energy efficiency of their "portfolios"?

The tenant pays the bills.

What incentives do tenants have to do anything to improve a house that isn't theirs..

Caporegime
i am a cheshire lad myself and tried desperately to get a job in my field for over a year before giving up and looking down south.

unfortuntely work in my field is hugely skewed to Cambridge and a lesser extent oxford (and london of course, because isnt everything?!)

I dont do regrets and had i not followed this path i would never have met my wife............ but IF i could have guaranteed rejoining my life path to the same point that happened around say 2008, i do kind of wish i hadnt bottled it and had chased an opportunity i had much harder back in 1998 to join the British Antarctic survey......

(who knows........ they are partly based in Cambridge perhaps my life would have ultimately gone back to the same path)

but back on point, i do love it up north........ the scenery, the people, and sure the house prices as well - albeit they are going up a lot more than they used to be - at least around where i came from.

Only way I'm leaving the west (north and Scotland are nice too) is emigration.

I'll never go back to Midlands/south/east.

Its cheaper and nicer (nicer is obviously opinion, Im glad my nicer = cheaper)

Last edited:
Caporegime
The energy stuff is same as private owners have.
Its often so expensive, the only other option is to sell up.
On the other hand, it's crippling to be renting in a poorly insulated flat.

Again, would be no issue if there was enough social housing. Landlords would have to cough up or exit. But it wouldn't cause a renting shortage.

Successive governments have handed power to private landlords.

Soldato
Only way I'm leaving the west (north and Scotland are nice too) is emigration.

I'll never go back to Midlands/south/east.

Its cheaper and nicer (nicer is obviously opinion, Im glad my nicer = cheaper)
I don't disagree... the 1 thing I do like down near Cambridge is the weather tho. it's noticeably warmer here with less rain / wind.

house prices are silly tho and with no London weighting on salaries to even partially offset.

I had long planned to emigrate when I retired (I had visions of a property on menorca ) but I suspect that is off the table now.

as for the rental properties no longer having to improve their insulation. Really our housing needs improvements across the board and having D or E rated rentals is not great. Ideally I would rather they kept the mandate up upgrade D and E properties but offer tax breaks and what not to get it done . but I would draw the line at going beyond better insulation and decent windows etc. LLs should not be forced to install solar or batteries or heatpumps etc... not when new builds or private homes don't even have to have them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom