The joy of being a landlord

Caporegime
It's not really a lack of supply in our country its more like loose lending and low interest rates increased demand, we don't have a homeless epidemic.

That we don't have a homeless epidemic is kinda missing the point, instead we have people having fewer kids than they'd otherwise wish to have, people living with their parents for longer because they can't afford to move out or indeed couples stuck in flatshares etc..

Soldato
It's not really a lack of supply in our country its more like loose lending and low interest rates increased demand, we don't have a homeless epidemic.

That we don't have a homeless epidemic is kinda missing the point, instead we have people having fewer kids than they'd otherwise wish to have, people living with their parents for longer because they can't afford to move out or indeed couples stuck in flatshares etc..

Homelessness varies with location. The national average is approx 1 in 200 homeless (classed as in temporary accommodation or rough sleeping but not including sofa surfing/ sleeping in cars and other non-reported homelessness)

Homeless rates vary greatly with location though. In the worst affected boroughs they are up to 1 in 4 (25%) eg in Newham, London.

In the 2018 figures (latest published) 320k homeless in Britain, 0.5% of the population. Over half of which (approx 170k) are in London. Source: https://england.shelter.org.uk/prof...h/policy_library/homelessness_in_england_2021 (follow the links)

320k people is more than the entirety of Newcastle. It's a city the size of Coventry/Leicester/Nottingham/Cardiff (according to wikipedia). Is that acceptable in a supposedly first world G7 country?

The cost of living crisis and covid layoffs are expected to greatly increase that ratio once new data is published.

Last edited:
Caporegime
well it's kind of like the GPU fiasco isn't it. Company N can only supply Q thousand units. If 0.8Q get gobbled by scalpers has the market improved because 0.2Q were sold to end users rather than scalped? A fairer market is for everyone to be able to buy direct and scalpers can do one. Perhaps a better way is just to cap the number of buy-to-lets on new builds and impose council quotas on rental % in each district/postcode area. If they assess there is a need for more rentals they can facilitate it, but if they see a shortage of housing to buy they can restrict it.

No, that would be dumb, there is a shortage of rental accommodation already, we don't need caps on it. There is a shortage of supply in general.

320k people is more than the entirety of Newcastle. It's a city the size of Coventry/Leicester/Nottingham/Cardiff (according to wikipedia). Is that acceptable in a supposedly first world G7 country?

Not particularly relevant tbh... the other poster was pointing out that we don't have a homeless epidemic as a reason why there isn't a lack of supply, but that's not really a good argument as already pointed out. That some people are in temporary accommodation at some point in time is to be expected. Rough sleeping on the other hand has much less to do with this topic and is more relevant to things like drug addiction and mental health.

The problem, again, is the lack of supply.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, that would be dumb, there is a shortage of rental accommodation already, we don't need caps on it. There is a shortage of supply in general.

Not particularly relevant tbh...
People were talking about a homeless crisis. Stats on it are entirely relevant so we can have factual discussion based on actual data. I'm not sure why you would deem that irrelevant?

People need somewhere to live. If a person can afford to buy and live in one property their needs are met. They should leave other properties for others to buy. If those other people cannot afford to buy and lots of properties are not selling as a result then either the prices drop so they can afford to buy or the council/gov can step in and help provide sufficient rental properties, or assisted buy schemes. That should be all the market needs. Private landlords swooping in to profit from the situation does not help. It exarcebates and increases the cost of living, pushing up property prices, and rent prices since they want to profit from the endeavour. I saw an interesting clip of someone debating just this in the Irish Parliament:

Soldato
Nope... landlords don't tend to keep properties empty, they have tenants.
And how does that help prospective buyers that are now priced out of their local market?
The problem, again, is the lack of supply.
... in the buyers market.
I saw an interesting clip of someone debating just this in the Irish Parliament:
That's a great speech. Well said that man.

@dowie won't watch it, but here's a good takeaway; In the first quarter of 2022, out of 1,151 new-builds sold in Dublin - only 217 were bought by FTBs. 69% were bought by non-household purchasers i.e. investers, funds and landlords.

Caporegime
People were talking about a homeless crisis. Stats on it are entirely relevant so we can have factual discussion based on actual data. I'm not sure why you would deem that irrelevant?

Well, I already explained why, if you want a factual discussion about "a homeless crisis" then why not start a thread on it?

People need somewhere to live. If a person can afford to buy and live in one property their needs are met. They should leave other properties for others to buy.

So who provides private rentals?

And how does that help prospective buyers that are now priced out of their local market?

Who said it does? How does getting rid of landlords help people who want to rent?

The issue, again, is the lack of supply, not playing musical chairs with the existing property market and blaming some other segment of it with differing needs. It doesn't need to be such a limited resource in the first place!

Reactions: NVP
Soldato
Who said it does? How does getting rid of landlords help people who want to rent?
I said it does. Because there's a very limited number of people who actually want to rent anyway. So taking away their prospective purchases by pumping up the prices via BTL investment does take away the supply of "buy-able" property, especially when you're talking about FTBs.
The issue, again, is the lack of supply, not playing musical chairs with the existing property market and blaming some other segment of it with differing needs. It doesn't need to be such a limited resource in the first place!
You're contradicting yourself. I'm not talking about playing musical chairs with existing property, I'm pointing out that simply "increasing supply" of housing by building more will do absolutely nothing to help ease the housing crisis - because particularly around big cities, they will all get snapped up by landlords. Why don't you understand that?

Caporegime
I said it does. Because there's a very limited number of people who actually want to rent anyway. So taking away their prospective purchases by pumping up the prices via BTL investment does take away the supply of "buy-able" property, especially when you're talking about FTBs.

Again, 12% of purchases last year... and people still need places to rent too.

I'm pointing out that simply "increasing supply" of housing by building more will do absolutely nothing to help ease the housing crisis - because particularly around big cities, they will all get snapped up by landlords. Why don't you understand that?

Because you just made it up, it's not true.

Soldato
Lots of people provide rentals and they are needed, you're just being absurd tbh.
Well you may think it absurd but this is a real debate put forward in the Irish parliament. I'm sorry if that jars with your worldview but you can't dismiss it as absurd.

Because you just made it up, it's not true.
He didn't. Again, the stats, actual stats, given in the video I linked before, from the Irish Parliament, give examples of why what he's saying is correct.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well you may think it absurd but this is a real debate put forward in the Irish parliament. I'm sorry if that jars with your worldview but you can't dismiss it as absurd.

Nope, this is a claim you made: "nobody provides private rentals. They shouldn't be needed."

That's clearly false, how would you cater to say a young professional who wants to move to London and live in a flatshare with friends? How would you cater to an Aussie backpacker who wants to live in the UK for a year?

He didn't. Again, the stats, actual stats, given in the video I linked before, from the Irish Parliament, give examples of why what he's saying is correct.

No, they don't, his claim was:

"simply "increasing supply" of housing by building more will do absolutely nothing to help ease the housing crisis - because particularly around big cities, they will all get snapped up by landlords"

The link from the Irish parliament does not show that, the claim there was 69% in the first quarter of 2022 in Dublin, not "all". You're missing some key context here too in that Dublin has a housing crisis, there aren't enough homes to rent so no wonder there is a big demand by landlords... again a supply issue!

There were just 716 homes available to rent on 1 August in Ireland, which has a population of 5.1 million people, as the cost of rented accommodation soars 12.6% compared to last year.

Also missing the point somewhat in that all of this doesn't exist in isolation... whether in some particular area you add/build more properties that are owned by councils, private landlords or owner occupiers you're still adding more properties to the total supply (the main issue here!) and again 12% of property sales were to BTL investors last year in the UK, the vast majority were not.

Last edited:
Reactions: NVP
Soldato
Nope, this is a claim you made: "nobody provides private rentals. They shouldn't be needed."

That's clearly false, how would you cater to say a young professional who wants to move to London and live in a flatshare with friends? How would you cater to an Aussie backpacker who wants to live in the UK for a year?

No, they don't, his claim was:

"simply "increasing supply" of housing by building more will do absolutely nothing to help ease the housing crisis - because particularly around big cities, they will all get snapped up by landlords"

The link from the Irish parliament does not show that, the claim there was 69% in the first quarter of 2022 in Dublin.

Also missing the point somewhat in that all of this doesn't exist in isolation... again 12% of property sales were to BTL investors last year in the UK, the vast majority were not.
interesting. You got a source for that 12% stat there?

People needing to rent would be catered for by the means I described in my post. Private rental doesn't feature in that model. Social renting and assisted buying do. Your question is already answered.

Caporegime
interesting. You got a source for that 12% stat there?

Was already posted in the thread:

People needing to rent would be catered for by the means I described in my post. Private rental doesn't feature in that model. Social renting and assisted buying do. Your question is already answered.

Nope... not everyone wants to buy. How does social renting solve it? Every local authority in London has a huge waiting list so where does, say an Aussie backpacker go to get a flat to rent?

How about an American banker being sent to London for 2 years? Where does he live with his family? You think he'd like to be chucked into a random council house?

Ditto to say some young professionals moving down to London after uni... how do you allocate housing to them, and which borough do they live in?

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I rent properties to foreign workers who need temporary housing, to fresh immigrants who need to rent whilst saving to buy, to a young family who move to the city for the guys new job, and currently one is rented to a family of Turkish asylum seekers (a judge and a dr) being paid for by their family friend because they don't have their own place either.

If there were no landlords where do you think people like this will stay?

Soldato
Was already posted in the thread:

Nope... not everyone wants to buy. How does social renting solve it? Every local authority in London has a huge waiting list so where does, say an Aussie Banker get a flat to rent from?

How about an American banker being sent to London for 2 years? Where does he live with his family? You think he'd like to be chucked into a random council house?

Ditto to say some young professionals moving down to London after uni... how do you allocate housing to them, and which borough do they live in?
The model, being put forward for debate in the Irish Parliament, is that the rental amount any property can be rented for is set by the government and derived by what people can actually fairly pay. It is not left to market forces of how much can a landlord get away with. Where that means private smallscale landlords feel it is no longer profitable the state buys the property and puts into it social housing stock. Larger scale landlords are compulsariorly taken into public ownership. Someone wanting to rent either rents social housing or where private landlords want to be part of the system, they might still be around, but the rent would be the same either way. Most BTL landlords doing it for investment and profit would probably leave though as they would likely not make enough money out of the proposed system. Someone wanting to rent can still do so. They just don't get increasingly exploited like the current system encourages.

Caporegime
The model, being put forward for debate in the Irish Parliament, is that the rental amount any property can be rented for is set by the government and derived by what people can actually fairly pay. It is not left to market forces of how much can a landlord get away with. Where that means private smallscale landlords feel it is no longer profitable the state buys the property and puts into it social housing stock. Larger scale landlords are compulsariorly taken into public ownership. Someone wanting to rent either rents social housing or where private landlords want to be part of the system, they might still be around, but the rent would be the same either way. Most BTL landlords doing it for investment and profit would probably leave though as they would likely not make enough money out of the proposed system. Someone wanting to rent can still do so. They just don't get increasingly exploited like the current system encourages.

You're talking about rent control and then conflating it with social housing and then throwing in some nonsense about the compulsory purchase of "larger scale landlords".

The reason why they're talking about rent control is the lack of supply, that just addresses the symptoms not the underlying issue... why not address the underlying supply issue?

It doesn't answer the questions I posed to you either... other than basically those people are potentially screwed and so can't rent anywhere.

Soldato
OP
The landlords are keeping the purchase market too high for prospective buyers.

Cite?

If you remove landlords from the equation then the influx of availability can lead to cheaper (relatively) purchase prices, and more people will be able to buy.

Cite?

I presume you're talking about private landlords, but they'll just be replaced by corporate landlords. That's the efficient way to do it anyway since a company can offset mortgage repayments against income, unlike private landlords. Setting up a company isn't exactly difficult or expensive.

There's so much housing out there, it's just not affordable, or available to normal people.

If it's not affordable then even landlords won't buy it: they need to have tenants.

Back
Top Bottom