The joys of commuting around London. Grrrrrrrr

Caporegime
Last time I was in London some American business type woman in her Prius went into the back of my Saab. Luckily no damage as it was her tyre hitting (she was doing a U turn and was on full lock) so we just shook hands and went on our way. Central London does have its own road laws mind.

Man of Honour
I would feel very uneasy without the front and rear camera on my car - had them now for a few years,

Do they have some sort of reverse tractor beam that prevents crashes then?

I always find the presence of loads of cameras is a good indicator of people to be wary of, they are often erratically driven and YouTube is full of videos of dashcam warriors rushing up to people to make things seem super dramatic.

Soldato
I have a Karma story about 2 morons on the M25. I was coming back to Kent from Stoke and stuck in 4 lane grid lock and, as usual, I was leaving a nice gap between me and the truck in front of me and had a young moron with his GF sat in his lovely brand new Golf R about 1ft from the rear of my car.

Every time we moved forward a short distance he would still end up back 1ft from my car. As we weren't moving I turned around in my seat and explained why it was such a bad idea and both he and his GF just couldn't stop laughing. After about 10 minutes the traffic started to flow again and he shot past with his GF giving me a lovely "hand signal" as they went by. 5 minutes later I passed them again as the traffic slowed for yet another accident, which turned out to be them :D having been shunted at low speed by a transit van into the back of a Highways Agency 4x4.

I really wanted to stop and laugh in their face but the traffic was starting to move again so I made do with a simple horn peep to get their attention and a slow head shake as I drove by.

Soldato
I have a Karma story about 2 morons on the M25. I was coming back to Kent from Stoke and stuck in 4 lane grid lock and, as usual, I was leaving a nice gap between me and the truck in front of me and had a young moron with his GF sat in his lovely brand new Golf R about 1ft from the rear of my car.

Every time we moved forward a short distance he would still end up back 1ft from my car. As we weren't moving I turned around in my seat and explained why it was such a bad idea and both he and his GF just couldn't stop laughing. After about 10 minutes the traffic started to flow again and he shot past with his GF giving me a lovely "hand signal" as they went by. 5 minutes later I passed them again as the traffic slowed for yet another accident, which turned out to be them :D having been shunted at low speed by a transit van into the back of a Highways Agency 4x4.

I really wanted to stop and laugh in their face but the traffic was starting to move again so I made do with a simple horn peep to get their attention and a slow head shake as I drove by.
I would not want to be 1ft away from those exhausts :o

Soldato
I've actually considered before an F150/Raptor just because anyone hitting it would do more damage to their own vehicle heh.
the body on the f150 and raptor are aluminium and are very weak and expensive. what you really want is a diesel dodge ram with a 7l powerstroke turbo diesel. then a map with rolling coal so when the run into the back of you they will experiance true diesel emissions for the rest of their journey :p

Soldato
Wazzocks are definitely on the increase as there is little road policing nowadays.

If you want to see appalling driving, drive a bus or an LGV for a few weeks, your nerves will be shot :D

Caporegime
Standards are pretty shocking these days! Makes me want to get rear dashcams as well.

Maybe get a huge yank truck like an F350, then any rear ending would destroy their car and hardly scratch yours ;)

Hopefully their insurance isn't a PITA.

I’ve seen that happen twice here since moving. Back of truck looks like it’s say up a bit with the wheels still touching the floor. The person in the saloon is sitting there wondering why the trucks rear bumper and tailgate are now touching their windscreen...

I presume it won’t do the rear axle too much good, but at the same time it may just make a dent in the bonnet of the saloon. The diffs are pretty strong. No idea if the saloons were totalled after as they were still under the trucks when I drove past.

I've actually considered before an F150/Raptor just because anyone hitting it would do more damage to their own vehicle heh.

They can be a nightmare in car parks because of their length, even here. I wouldn’t be too keen driving one round in the UK and going shopping.

Man of Honour
They can be a nightmare in car parks because of their length, even here. I wouldn’t be too keen driving one round in the UK and going shopping.

Not really considered it seriously just with the height and seen 1-2 with what looked like durable front and rear setups I assumed they'd come off a bit better if someone went into the back of one. Looking it up they are 15% longer than the longest vehicle I've got experience of heh.

Caporegime
the body on the f150 and raptor are aluminium and are very weak and expensive. what you really want is a diesel dodge ram with a 7l powerstroke turbo diesel. then a map with rolling coal so when the run into the back of you they will experiance true diesel emissions for the rest of their journey :p

Pfff, if you’re going that far you may as well go the full hog and put an 8” lift and a straight through vertical stack on for the WW2 battleship smokescreen look.

Not really considered it seriously just with the height and seen 1-2 with what looked like durable front and rear setups I assumed they'd come off a bit better if someone went into the back of one. Looking it up they are 15% longer than the longest vehicle I've got experience of heh.

Height is definitely a bonus, the chassis (basically 6x3 steel girders) sits at about a foot of the ground so whoever hits you is going to be a lot worse off. The rear bumper is also directly attached to the chassis to so can take a lot of force, rather than a piece of plastic.

It’s actually a big negative I some ways. The extra height can create a much greater danger for those in the other vehicle.

And yeah, they are rather larger than most UK vehicles. I drove a grand Cherokee last year after a year of driving one and it felt so small and quaint. :D

Man of Honour
And yeah, they are rather larger than most UK vehicles. I drove a grand Cherokee last year after a year of driving one and it felt so small and quaint.

Did ~1200 miles in a Raptor (not me driving) a few years back in the US didn't really notice it was that much bigger than normal - I was absolutely knackered though from flying and spent most of the journey sleeping.

EDIT: Oops miscalculated that a bit - more like 700 miles - for some reason had 1200 in my head.

EDIT2: Oh it was 1200km not miles I was remembering :s

Caporegime
I find a fairly big difference swapping between our VW estate and truck in all dimensions. Width is the most obvious, especially when parking. If you drive something like a Range Rover daily then there won’t be as big a difference.

I keep hinting to my other half about getting a raptor, but she’s sensible and says no. :(

Soldato
Get a Peel P50, that is about the size of car people should be using in London. Plus you can drive it right up to your desk.

Back
Top Bottom