The junk food thread, what's your guilty pleasure?

Soldato
Fried chicken. There is no healthy alternative.
Bought a few cheap fryers last year and been trying a load of different recipes with some mates and it's been incredible. His popeye recipe is the best chicken I've ever eaten.
Also fries and chips done in a proper fryer is a game changer.

I used to love KFC but it's nothing in comparison. Just need to work out how to remake their gravy...

I'm an absolute fiend for a donner wrap or chicken kebab. Loads of garlic mayo.
If I end up going Chinese I usually end up going way overboard and spending 30 quid and eating it over 2 sittings.

My problem is I always feel starving when I've been out on drink but beers kill my appetite and as soon as I've had a few bites I'm full, so I've mastered the art of refrying meat and chips.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spread butter over the outside of a cheese and ham sandwich, stick it in the George foreman grill. Can't beat that.

Second is pan fried chorizo/ paprika sausage.

I tried frying a banana and peanit butter sandwich. Not the earth shattering taste sensation I expected, sadly.

I had banana and peanut butter today on bread with the outside of the bread buttered...made in a panini press...anything made in the press gets the outside of the bread buttered, but aye it's not really junk food, good tho!

Caporegime
Bought a few cheap fryers last year and been trying a load of different recipes with some mates and it's been incredible. His popeye recipe is the best chicken I've ever eaten.
Also fries and chips done in a proper fryer is a game changer.

I used to love KFC but it's nothing in comparison. Just need to work out how to remake their gravy...

I'm an absolute fiend for a donner wrap or chicken kebab. Loads of garlic mayo.
If I end up going Chinese I usually end up going way overboard and spending 30 quid and eating it over 2 sittings.

My problem is I always feel starving when I've been out on drink but beers kill my appetite and as soon as I've had a few bites I'm full, so I've mastered the art of refrying meat and chips.

Cook a chicken in a pressure pot (slow cooker, oven may work) use the drippings. Get a pot and make a roux (butter and flour), add in drippings/water and some fresh herbs (thyme) some bayleafs, salt/pepper and simmer till thick.

That's pretty much it, chicken gravy.

Soldato
Cook a chicken in a pressure pot (slow cooker, oven may work) use the drippings. Get a pot and make a roux (butter and flour), add in drippings/water and some fresh herbs (thyme) some bayleafs, salt/pepper and simmer till thick.

That's pretty much it, chicken gravy.
Tidy ill give this a go next time we get our fry on. Some places it takes more like curry sauce than gravy.

Soldato
So I'm in big trouble. I've only recently discovered that the Wingstop franchise has come to the UK (since 2018 apparently). I'm banging these babies at least twice a month and have an order incoming of lemon pepper., mango habanero, louisinana rub and hickory smoked bbq.

I cannot help myself.

Soldato
The one thing that always disappoints me with KFC is their chips. How are they both soggy and flaccid, yet somehow dry in the middle, and how does a fast food chain **** something so basic up so completely?

Thst said, I do like a Zinger tower burger, or the boneless box.

KFC chips are simply edible forks for the coleslaw.

Man of Honour
I like most junk food, but I do love a good quality fry up.

Sausages, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, beans, hash browns, black pudding, tomato, toast.

For me it would be sausage, bacon, bacon, beans, hash browns, bacon, fried bread, beans. And bacon. And about a pint of tea.

I recently had a surprise with fast food - Angus something burger from Burger King. It was actually good, unlike any other fast food burger I've ever had from anywhere.

Does Steak and Old Peculier pie from M&S count as fast food? It's pretty quick to cook.

Caporegime
Probably just fish and chips at the mo, it’s not actually all that bad for you as far as junk food goes.

Occasionally Chinese and Indian takeaway too.

Some of the other takeaway stuff I like I’d probs not count as junk food, I can order sushi and bento boxes locally for example.

I’ve not had fried chicken for a while, saw it mentioned earlier, I agree with some of the comments re KFC being better. Also I prefer the leg meat over breast, especially if it’s from an imitation KFC franchise, super disappointing if it’s both not-fresh and dry breast meat. Not had any for quite a while though.

Back
Top Bottom