*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Soldato
Sea bass tonight, i like to rub a bit of salt and paprika on it then shallow fry it.
Probably do some potatoes as well, fried in some butter and rosemary. Some green beans and peas.

Soldato
Actually unsure of what dinner tonight will be. Shocking. I have a choice of thighs, breasts, 2 whole chickens and some pork loins. Will probably BBQ something.

My prawn salad last night was great. HUGE prawns but christ I put a lot of scotch bonnet in. My insides didn't thank me!

Soldato
I made a Bigos stew the other day using the Hairy Biker's recipe. Did it in the slow cooker rather than on the hob but it only *just* fitted into pot, and I used too much liquid so had to drain some off and reduce it down before putting back in. First time I've ever eaten sauerkraut too. Lasted me three days. Next time I will rinse the sauerkraut as they suggest in the recipe as maybe was a tad too vinegary.

Associate
I made some Mac and Cheese tonight, way overestimated how much I was making and have enough for about a week of dinners now. I think it should freeze well enough though.
Used a Jamie Oliver recipe as a rough base for it and the other half is very happy with the result.

Man of Honour
The char siu pork belly I had tonight was pretty pro. Salted some pork belly (removed the skin), smoked it for a couple of hours. Added char siu and vacuum-packed it. Sous-vided for about 12 hours and stored for a week or so.

Today I removed from the bag (reserving the juice). Sliced, fried along with some red and green peppers and onions. Served on some steamed rice and sauce made from more char siu sauced mixed with the reserved bag juices. I added a tiny bit of hot sauce to give it a little kick and tang and garnished with spring onions. Pretty damn delicious if I'm honest - far better than I was expecting.

Soldato
Got some Minced Steak out the freezer, but don't want to make the usual Chilli/Spaghetti Recipe tomorrow, someone inspire me!

PS no burgers or Cottage Pies! :D

Soldato
OP
The char siu pork belly I had tonight was pretty pro. Salted some pork belly (removed the skin), smoked it for a couple of hours. Added char siu and vacuum-packed it. Sous-vided for about 12 hours and stored for a week or so.

Today I removed from the bag (reserving the juice). Sliced, fried along with some red and green peppers and onions. Served on some steamed rice and sauce made from more char siu sauced mixed with the reserved bag juices. I added a tiny bit of hot sauce to give it a little kick and tang and garnished with spring onions. Pretty damn delicious if I'm honest - far better than I was expecting.

This sounds absolutely amazing, I've been thinking about doing my own char sui pork for a while now and this is convincing me to give it a go. I don't have a sous vide setup, should be able to do something in the slow cooker though right?

In other news, have a huge craving for some smash burgers, might have to do some this weekend if I can convince the OH.

Man of Honour
This sounds absolutely amazing, I've been thinking about doing my own char sui pork for a while now and this is convincing me to give it a go. I don't have a sous vide setup, should be able to do something in the slow cooker though right?

In other news, have a huge craving for some smash burgers, might have to do some this weekend if I can convince the OH.

Absolutely. It'd work fine in a slow cooker (or even just the oven).

I haven't made smash burgers in forever. I need to get on it.

Thanks all for the gravy tips. I've tried twice now and successfully made gravy both times :D

What recipe/technique did you end up going for? :)

Soldato
OP
Absolutely. It'd work fine in a slow cooker (or even just the oven).

I haven't made smash burgers in forever. I need to get on it.

Excellent, if you have any recipe recommendations for the Char Sui flavour side of things that would be fantastic. There are a few online but I your recommendations are always spot on :)

Definitely get on the smash burgers, what's your preference for toppings? I'm trying to convince the OH to let me cook them Friday, fingers crossed for success lol.

Man of Honour
anyone tried protein fluff?

had some Casein and flavor drops delivery today, so will be trying it out, probably tomorrow as out for a meal today.

20g casein powder.
6g xanthium gum
280ml liquid, they say not water, but going to use sparkling water.
flavoring of choice, some use some fruit in it blended up.

electric whisk for 10-15mins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom