*** The La Cuisine 'General Discussion' Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a stand mixer? Having used my mums Kitchen Aid a few times now I really like it but it is way out of my price range and I'm sure there is a decent machine out there for less money. Any ideas would be most welcome :). Thanks.

Soldato
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a stand mixer?
Kenwood Chef if you don't care about aesthetics and just want a machine that'll do the job and last a long time.

Kenwood Kmix if you value aesthetics over longevity - although that being said, mine's going on for three years old now and has never missed a beat. Dough hook is a bit of a PITA for some mixes but other than that it's been brilliant.

Soldato
OP
Our basic Kenwood Chef has been brilliant. We have a few attachments now so will probably upgrade to a nicer model if/when it breaks.

Kenwood Chef if you don't care about aesthetics and just want a machine that'll do the job and last a long time.

Kenwood Kmix if you value aesthetics over longevity - although that being said, mine's going on for three years old now and has never missed a beat. Dough hook is a bit of a PITA for some mixes but other than that it's been brilliant.

I recently bought a Kmix and it's great, unfortunately no use to you, but you just missed out on one for £120, even at regular price it's still 100% worth it.

Currently 180 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KM...n&ie=UTF8&qid=1483470000&sr=1-1&keywords=kmix

or 190 with a blender too: http://ao.com/product/kmix-kenwood-food-mixer-black-44637-69.aspx

Thanks for the suggestions guys, tough call between the two so will take both suggestions to the Boss for a final decision. Other problem is trying to find some space on the kitchen worktop for it :p

Soldato
Seem to be a plethora of dieting programs at the moment (would have been more interesting for xmas day) in particular
Food unwrapped diet special on Channel 4 from Mon 2nd

- someone elses comment
Just watching (recorded earlier) this program, and although there was no mention of BSD there were plenty of other examples of increased healthy fat intake leading to weight loss, including a Dr Unwin in Southport who has been prescribing his own version of LCHF to great effect for the last 4 years (not with calorie restriction). The examples of the food chosen to suit the diet were very familiar. Now they are looking into high fat Nordic diets and the lower rates of obesity and higher full fat dairy consumption of people in Holland. They have just dropped in on the director of Public health England to quiz her on the incorrect current dietary advice. The word is slowly getting out

yes these programs are often superficial;

But thought the LowCarBHighFat proposal (they do not acknowledge Atkins) was dishonest, when they denegrated a
orange juice / toast / bran-flake type breakfast, for the converted sugars, versus a full English, those specific juice/cereals/breads might have been bad but a choice of shredded wheat / whole-wheat or porridge would rectify that ?

The article on ~15KG per year cheese consumption in Holland interesting too, but did not discuss the high fat diet mechanism -
I thought this was the high fat was inhibiting uptake of other 'calories' ,
but that processed meats/bacon were still long term associate with cancer, albeit UK health minister said government still recommend carbs since long term consequencs of other regimes unknown (but Dutch seem to give a datapoint)

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I've recently moved on from coco pops and weetos and given adult cereals a go :p (Dorset Granola cereals etc)

My gripe is, the box they come in gives you no more than 4 days worth, doesn't even last you a week. This is just me eating, for two people it's two days worth. So I have to buy multiple boxes each time. Why don't they offer bigger boxes and just charge more?

Associate
I've recently moved on from coco pops and weetos and given adult cereals a go :p (Dorset Granola cereals etc)

My gripe is, the box they come in gives you no more than 4 days worth, doesn't even last you a week. This is just me eating, for two people it's two days worth. So I have to buy multiple boxes each time. Why don't they offer bigger boxes and just charge more?

A serving is only meant to be about 45g or thereabouts, not quarter of a box!

Don
Scrambled egg on toast is one of my favorite breakfasts. Merely a minute to make too.

No excuse for having that cereal garbage they sell these days.

Except your eggs on toast is more calories, more fat, more salt and less calcium than cereal and milk. I agree eggs on toast makes a tasty breakfast, but you're not really looking at the wider picture by claiming people have no excuse for eating cereal.

On the subject of great breakfasts, granola served over a chopped apple and covered in natural yogurt... Mmmm :cool: (I am aware the fat & sugar level in granola is high, I'm just saying it's a nice breakfast!)

Associate
Except your eggs on toast is more calories, more fat, more salt and less calcium than cereal and milk. I agree eggs on toast makes a tasty breakfast, but you're not really looking at the wider picture by claiming people have no excuse for eating cereal.

On the subject of great breakfasts, granola served over a chopped apple and covered in natural yogurt... Mmmm :cool: (I am aware the fat & sugar level in granola is high, I'm just saying it's a nice breakfast!)

Scrambled eggs on toast has more fat but it contains good fats (poly & monounsaturated fats). An egg contains 5% of your daily sodium in-take which is not exactly high.

Most cereals are full of sugar - if anything is to be avoided when eating a healthy diet, it's sugar.

Man of Honour
oh no more fat, that totaly needed thing your body uses for so many functions. Should stop believing 1960s "reseaerch" that has well and truly shown to be lies.
along with all the new research that shows salt should not be demonised.
One of those reviews had concluded that "after more than 150 randomized controlled trials and 13 population studies without an obvious signal in favor of sodium reduction, another position could be to accept that such a signal may not exist."

Last edited:
Soldato
Eggs are great for breakfast. I usually have cereal just because it's quicker, but eggs definitely make it easier to make it to lunch without getting hungry.

Either go for:
3 poached eggs, one smoked peppered mackerel fillet, two potato cakes
or
scrambled eggs (3) mixed with diced bacon (one rasher) and half an avocado, with a slice of toast.

My father in law is a egg-farmer (approx 12,000 hens), so we get a steady supply of free eggs. Should eat more really.

Don
Scrambled eggs on toast has more fat but it contains good fats (poly & monounsaturated fats). An egg contains 5% of your daily sodium in-take which is not exactly high.

Most cereals are full of sugar - if anything is to be avoided when eating a healthy diet, it's sugar.

oh no more fat, that totaly needed thing your body uses for so many functions. Should stop believing 1960s "reseaerch" that has well and truly shown to be lies.
along with all the new research that shows salt should not be demonised.

I'm not arguing the benefits of eggs for breakfast, I was just merely pointing out that implying people are lazy / ignorant for having cereal is a bad argument. There is a place for both of them on the table.

Soldato
I don't dispute the pleasure and merit of having egg for breakfast, but indeed how about the time element ?, scrambled eggs are more than a minute (the first bbc 'recipe' came up with 10-15 ) and microwave=massacre ? plus scrambled egg cooking needs attention.
Poached or boiled have a bit more leeway on cooking time and ease of preparation, so can multi-task with other pre-work processes.
so what is the real world preparation time ?

you can offset the egg prep time with time savings later in the day due to reduced snacking I suppose.

Personally am able to prepare porridge in microwave at work, with pre-soak from previous day, and many colleagues have cereal+milk, but eggs would be difficult -- a bunch of engineers, but no one has been that adventurous. :)

Caporegime
I could eat eggs every day. Bloody love em. Fried, scrambled, poached, boiled, I dont care, it's all awesome.

One of my favourite foods is sliced boiled egg and gammon ham sandwiches with mayo, salt and black pepper. Delish!

Back
Top Bottom