The last game you completed, and rating (Console Edition)

Man of Honour
I'm wrestling with the Pico-8 mode at the moment. And don't be telling me you did it in five minutes, it was easy as I'll not be amused. :p

Er… no. It’s one of the hardest games I’ve played!

I’m not sure how long it took me to beat that old school looking mode but none of the game is easy.

Soldato
Horizon: Zero Dawn. Never quite managed to get into it on the PS4. Played through the proving grounds intro a few times but never got much further than that - whilst it looked pretty the framerate wasn't the greatest on the base PS4. The recent PS5 update inspired me to try again. Finished the main story last night and I absolutely loved it. Story was much more engaging that I initially thought - especially if you take the time to listen to the excellent audio logs throughout the world. The framerate and graphics are nicely improved though some of the NPC dialogue scenes are still a bit off. Gameplay mechanics are still top drawer though and the combat is great fun in either stealth or full out attack. Going to mop up a few things and then play the DLC. Looking forward to the sequel now that I know how the first story played out. Great story, great environments, scenery, interesting enemy machines and top notch gameplay. 9/10

Associate
Greedfall Gold Edition (series X)

I give it 7.5/10

Good story,nice graphics but the small budget shows - so very janky. The quests get very repetitive at times and going down the full caster route I was OP before midway though.

but all in all it was different enough to keep me interested.

Caporegime
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition 9.5/10

What a fantastic game. Just the right length, the right mix of exploration and combat, the right mix of abilities. Almost perfect apart from some silly quicktime events.

Soldato
Two Crowns - crack/10. It's quite hard to rate Two Crowns as I can't tell what is fun and what is addiction. The pixel art and general vibe are superb. The ost is top tier! Gameplay is simple, intentionally, and involves learning the rules of this weird world so you can survive against the evil Greed. Problem is I can't stop playing and entire evenings vanish into the ether ..

If you fancy something chilled to work to:

Man of Honour
Two Crowns - crack/10. It's quite hard to rate Two Crowns as I can't tell what is fun and what is addiction. The pixel art and general vibe are superb. The ost is top tier! Gameplay is simple, intentionally, and involves learning the rules of this weird world so you can survive against the evil Greed. Problem is I can't stop playing and entire evenings vanish into the ether ..
Eurgh this is on Game Pass. Why do you do this to me?

In return you should try Flynn: Son of Crimson.

Caporegime
Horizon Zero Dawn - 9/10

Largely excellent with some niggles that frustrated at times. Like the Focus not highlighting the grip holds on cliffs. Leading to a lot of frustration as you try to make out a white chalk outline on a white cliff in a snowstorm (yes, this really happens). Also for people who start out with stealthy builds and then the game throws you into an arena with a combat bot. So much for the stealth, eh.

Setting was awesome. Plot was good, but didn't really live up to the promise of the setting, especially the late stage reveals.
I hated the idea that the plot revolved around the main character inevitably becoming Liz V2, as if controlled by the hand of Fate. She exists in a savage world where tribes kill and sacrifice each other; there was no guarantee she'd even reach adulthood, let alone participate in all the other events that had to happen for the masterplan to work out. It's convoluted to the max. I believe there's even a named trope to describe this... "Yes, Mr Bond, events have proceeded exactly as I had anticipated. I knew you would get up at 6am, disarm that bomb in the Presidents car at 10am, paradrop into my volcano at noon, and I created my master to precisely take into account meeting you here at 3pm, wearing two odd socks and missing one glove. Exactly as planned." The character has no right to anticipate the sequence of events, but the writer imbues the character with the knowledge of the writer himself. A kind of ability to see the future. What's the name of that trope, anyone know?

Niggles aside, one of the very best games I've played.

Back
Top Bottom