The last game you completed, and rating.

Associate
Lies of P. I played the first hour a couple of months ago and wasn't overly impressed but went back to it a few days ago and once you get into it a bit further into the game and there's more interesting enemies it's a great game. Good graphics, satisfying combat, OK story (excl Gemini), best soulslike I've played and one I'll definitely play through again. Hadn't binge played a game like this since Elden Ring. 9/10.

Last edited:
Associate
Kingdom Two Crowns, 8/10, tower defence game with resource management and great pixel art style graphics. The game mechanics are deliberately for you to discover yourself so be prepared for some trial and error

Soldato
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 (on hard) - 10/10. It's not nostalgia either, I've only discovered NG after Sekiro, Nioh and so on. NG has the deepest and broadest (as well as the overall best) combat system of all Souls-likes, despite being the pioneer on which Souls themselves were based.
Unlike with many older games, the graphics, style and presentation have aged like a good wine - NG's looking super stylish to this day. A timeless classic!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyo
Associate
Mass Effect 2 Legendary Edition - 7 / 10

Spoilers ahead.

]

I always remembered Mass Effect 2 being the best Mass Effect but having played Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 back to back I actually now think Mass Effect 1 is superior.

Mass Effect 2's story is definitely weaker and the world building not as good. I felt the suicide mission, which many people call the best mission in any game ever, was quite disappointing. I spent the game doing everyone's loyalty missions and it didn't seem to make much of a difference to who lived and who died. I have since looked up how to save everyone and you need to do very specific things to save people. The way that characters are killed off falls completely flat too. I lost Garrus at the end. He was my favorite character and I thought I did everything correctly to save him but no. When he dies, it just happens and Sheppard doesn't really seem that bothered even though they have been friends since the start of Mass Effect 1. The final boss although visually and creatively interesting, is ridiculously easy considering that it is a reaper (although not fully built). Remember the first game, it took hundreds of ships attacking a reaper to take it down. I beat this one with a machine gun.

The shooting, the graphics and audio are good. Generally the story is good but not as good as Mass Effect 1. The sense of exploration and world building are a definite downgrade from from Mass Effect 2 although I did enjoy reading the descriptions of all the planets, many of which are very interesting.

Worth playing but going back to it after all this time has kind of spoiled my original memory of the game.

Soldato
Finished Rise of the Ronin, did most of the in game activities and quests, but wasn't too worried about 100% the game.

Good fun though, I think the game deserves a go for anyone who likes Sekiro and/or Ghost of Tsushima, I heard it's also got some similarities to Nioh but I've not played that yet.

I'd like to revisit this if it ever gets a PC release, 100+ fps with some mods would enhance the experience as sometimes this suffered from slow-down when several enemies were on screen at once.

Going to move onto DD2 for this bank holiday weekend!

Soldato
Dragons Dogma 2 - 8.5/10

A solid 8/10 IMO. Got a lot out of it, do not often 100% games with every achievement, but managed so here as was fun. The combat and world is great. Can be walking down the road, fight wolves, attracts an ogre which in turn gets a griffon into the mix. Night time combat is fun, its a genuinely dark world so night combat and transversal is neat. I quiet like quests are not handholding you need to read and pick the details apart. The save system will frustrate some people I expect, but I found it refreshing, with only a single save file that is shared between Auto-Save and manual saves. You do also get inn saves, which are your emergency saves, but can be quiet a few hours out of date, still system I feel makes you conscious as to how you play.

In terms of con's, Main campaign is quiet small. I did miss some of the side quests' but even checking after the fact of completing, its still not massive. IMO for size of world, more could have been packed in. Performance is so so. I largely got away with it as its the cities that kill peoples performance. It does drop for me too, but seems the 7800x3D I use brute forces it so really was mostly still playable fine. Outside of cities was very smooth to locked 60 with maxed graphical settings an DLSS at 4k.

Still on balance a great game, with a few patch's I think to performance will improve the situation for people further. Will defo pick up again for a new game plus run I think when DLC drops.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just finished a Halo playthrough. In the space of two weeks, all MCC games, best was Reach, 9/10, then Halo 3 and ODST 8.5/10, Halo, 2 and 4 8/10.

Need to play the Mass Effect series next but currently playing through Horizon Zero Dawn and then Forbidden West.
My favourite was 4, they did such a good job considering they weren't the original company!
It's SO annoying 5 wasn't included nor released on PC - which I didn't know when finishing 4 and about to start Infinite, so had to watch a playthrough :( Enjoyed Infinite despite being an open world. Did it overnight in 1 hit one friday haha next thing I knew it was 11:20am :cry: :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Days Gone

It became a bit of a slog towards the end, but overall a fun game. Definitely play on the hardest difficulty as even on hard mode it became way too easy a few hours in. The world needed a little something to make it more interesting. Like maybe some unique bike parts, or weapons to reward exploration. Many a time I found some old building out in the woods and my excitement quickly dissipated when I remembered there would be just the same old flashing crafting supplies there is in every building. It got to the point where I wouldn't even get off the bike unless I really needed some materials.

Also the stamina system is really bad. You're basically forced to ride everywhere as you run out of stamina really quickly and it takes ages to fill back up again and you run soooo slow. If you run out of fuel and aren't near a petrol station its sometimes a 20 minute boring slog to find a petrol can. I guess its to stop you running rings around the horde, but they could have at least let you fast travel back to a base for a small fee or something when you run out of fuel.

Story was the usual end of the world fare.

Story 5/10
gameplay 7/10

Soldato
Just finished a Halo playthrough. In the space of two weeks, all MCC games, best was Reach, 9/10, then Halo 3 and ODST 8.5/10, Halo, 2 and 4 8/10.

Need to play the Mass Effect series next but currently playing through Horizon Zero Dawn and then Forbidden West.

Man I wish I was in that position of playing Mass effect trilogy for the first time, love that series.

Associate
Half Life Opposing Force - 7.5 / 10

Pretty solid expansion to Half Life 1. Gearbox's level design is on par with Valve but I can't say I cared much for the new enemies. Last boss was a bit rubbish too but then so was the last boss in HL1.

It didn't over stay it's welcome coming in at around 6 hours. It cost me less than a quid in the recent Steam sale and plays great on the Steam Deck.

Recommended.

Soldato
I've had about 3 attempts at playing Alan Wake 2. And I've basically given up.

It's painfully boring, on rails both in story and setting. And Saga the main character is lacking any sort of personality beyond a plank of wood.

And how tedious is the mindspace crime board part. Saga seems to come up with massive parts of the story/plot with zero effort or any reason as to how she would know this stuff. The player is just expected to believe it!

I'm not sure how they can get away with human enemies being bullet sponges, and if that didn't break reality enough, you get to hide from them by standing in a bright light! Really?

This game has no right running my 4090 full belt as the visuals aren't really worth it either.

A game that requires zero skill, and barely any participation from the player. The story is spoon fed to you with no sense of accomplishment from discovering anything..... Boooooring.

3/10

Associate
Half Life Blue Shift - 7 / 10

The weakest of the original Half Life experiences but still fun enough. More of the same really but way shorter. Took me 3 hours to finish. The best thing about it is seeing a couple of scenes from Half Life from a different perspective. Kind of sets up Barney's story for Half Life 2.

Cost less than a quid during the last Steam sale and plays perfectly on Steam Deck. Worth it.

Associate
Half Life Blue Shift - 7 / 10

The weakest of the original Half Life experiences but still fun enough. More of the same really but way shorter. Took me 3 hours to finish. The best thing about it is seeing a couple of scenes from Half Life from a different perspective. Kind of sets up Barney's story for Half Life 2.

Cost less than a quid during the last Steam sale and plays perfectly on Steam Deck. Worth it.
I played this before Half Life when I was a child. I had no idea what it was and it was cheap. Still have the giant box somewhere in the loft.
Thought it was awesome at the time.

Back
Top Bottom