The Last Guardian (PS5?!? - 2016) :p - My pre-order is ready

Soldato
Started playing this tonight... kinda disappointed :(

Camera/control scheme is an abject shambles. Clunky as hell and so awkward to get the right angles etc. Night and day vs. Uncharted for example which has a much better camera mechanic.

The frame rate is also pretty terrible, especially outdoors where it seems to dip into the 20's (regular PS4, not Pro).

Will pick it up again tomorrow with a fresh set of eyes, but...

Associate
Couldn’t get on with this or SOTC. Could see the beauty but poor controls and lack of story meant I traded them in before I finished them. I guess this devs games just don’t do it for me. Some nice hdr though.

Caporegime
I thought The Last Guardian had a great story but you really have to play it through to the end to appreciate it, it's an experience rather than a dialogue based story. IMO very few games these days elicit emotion like the ending to TLG does.

The story is the struggle and the way the boy and creature work together to succeed but at the end have to go their separate ways.

I haven't played the other.

Permabanned
Had a crack at it last week for the first time. Never felt so guilty about hating a game before...

I remember at the time of release there being a bit of controversy with regards to the players interactions with Trico. Having played a fair chunk of the game before abandoning it, I can safely say that my experience is perfectly in line with those criticisms.

Trico's design from a mechanical perspective just doesn't work as it should. I GET that he's meant to be this untamed animal that rarely follows direct orders, but that clashes so often with how the rest of the games designed. Often times I'd abandon any attempts at getting him to boost me up to a specific ledge thinking that it must be the incorrect path to take through the level, only to go back there after failing at everything else to discover that it was in fact the right ledge all along, and the game just refused to acknowledge my button prompts in a timely fashion.

Associate
The game development process has been pretty bumpy, similar to Duke nukem forever I guess.
The game was meant to be developed for the PS3 when the first trailer dropped, but the game was put on hold for couple years because of the lead developer.
But the game eventually resurfaced at E3 for PS4 release. A lot of the game mechanics was probably touched to get it up to date but probably not to a standard people like. Seeing it has a very PS2/PS3 like mechanic similar to ICO and SOTC.
The visual is where they spent most of their time I guess and finishing the story off.

Back
Top Bottom