The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
Some interesting stuff in there for sure - seems there'll be some good hints of first age stuff, as shown with the outline of Melkor and the Trees in that trailer. From what has been said in the prologue too at SDCC.

Wonder who the character at the end is, Gothmog perhaps?

Soldato

Interview with fugly dwarf "Princess"...

It seems the long-standing Tolkien fanbase numbering in our millions from all over the globe need to be "educated", and furthermore on the utter destruction of the Lore and intent and the World of JJ Tolkien -

“To be part of creating accessibility for generations to come. For new generations this is their version of Tolkien, this is what my daughter will see of Tolkien’s works.”

And my favourite quote I think which shows both insufferable arrogance and ignorance in abundance and equal measure.

“To be the poster child and to fly the flag, being a mother, being a woman, being a person of colour, being a curvaceous woman deemed as a thing of beauty is something we don’t always see.”

“So that image of Disa… that is all of those things personified in a face, and it happens to be my face,” she said.

LMFAO.

:cry:

Soldato
So everything is about what she is rather than what she can do.

Basing everything on a group identity, so very inclusive. Is this what we (society) do now, just focus on sections of identity as if there are all we are?

:(

Edit: Read some more of that article...

Cynthia Addai-Robinson, who plays Miriel also stated, “This cast is truly global…everyone sort of has their frame of reference in terms of their culture, their heritage, what it means to them, their language.”

“Part of the story we’re trying to tell is you have people of different races coming together to defeat a common enemy,” she explained. “You’re trying to look at this through a modern lens and the world is global and people now expect to see this kind of world globally represented.”

Yes...but it's Middle Earth not actual ****ing Earth. Stop projecting this worlds problems on to another, just have the imagination to create it's own issues and not mirror ours for the sake of 'awareness'.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am all for inclusiveness and whatnot, but no. There is no reason for a black dwarf. Peter Jackson nailed it by sticking to the written words of Tolkien (I know some artistic changes were made to suit the screen play), not wandering off to include colour, sexual identity and others.
I was hoping to watch this but unfortunately it does not grab me now seeing the cast. It will probably end up being quite good, but having it nothing like the Lore states is a big hurdle for me to watch it.

Soldato
The way Amazon reports viewing figures is by minutes watched isn't it? Guess we'll never know true numbers for the amount of people that watched wot, we can only approximate based on their calculations but apparently it was their most watched show with a billion or so minutes which seems high until you break it down.

Caporegime
Didnt they just renew that for a 3rd season? Did it flop?

It was Amazon Prime's top viewed show of the year and in the top 5 of all time.

But, it wouldnt even come close to making Netflix's top 10 for that week, maybe even top 20 most watched shows. And that was just for the week it was on, not all time.

But yeah as far as Amazon prime goes, it has been a raging massive hit for them.

Caporegime
The way Amazon reports viewing figures is by minutes watched isn't it? Guess we'll never know true numbers for the amount of people that watched wot, we can only approximate based on their calculations but apparently it was their most watched show with a billion or so minutes which seems high until you break it down.

Roughly 10 million people per episode worldwide................................Amazing what makes a hit TV show nowadays, I can remember when eastenders got 20 million viewers every week and that was just the UK.

Soldato
Roughly 10 million people per episode worldwide................................Amazing what makes a hit TV show nowadays, I can remember when eastenders got 20 million viewers every week and that was just the UK.
Less than that, more like 2 million people, for the whole series. 10 episodes, each one on average 50 minutes .

Soldato
It was Amazon Prime's top viewed show of the year and in the top 5 of all time.

But, it wouldnt even come close to making Netflix's top 10 for that week, maybe even top 20 most watched shows. And that was just for the week it was on, not all time.

But yeah as far as Amazon prime goes, it has been a raging massive hit for them.

A hit for Amazon but that still means hardly anyone watched it, has it gained any traction anywhere? has it bled into more mainstram media? - Nah, in comparison on GOT, which did enter MSM pretty early on. WOT sunk without leaving a mark anywhere outside the WOT community.

Back
Top Bottom