The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

fez

fez

Caporegime
Nothing is going to make the glazers sell short of OT being empty every week but that ain't happening. We've just got to hope that they finally are sick of being a mess and actually realise that they are ******* money up the wall for nothing and its simply a bad way to run a business.

Thats the bit I don't understand. There is quite literally zero benefit to running the club the way they do. They aren't penny pinching. They aren't profiting more by running the club badly. It's just bizarre.

Man of Honour
OP
We are indeed in a very tricky situation. I said before the season started we needed a strong and authoritative showing in the transfer market to give ETH the best possible start - and that hasn't happened. Not even close.

A few losses and poor results don't bother me at all. The squad is sub par and ETH needs time to study the players and work with them. Unless we do some amazing transfer business, top 4 will be difficult.

Brighton are a good team and in isolation the result doesn't really matter. Liverpool's result at Fulham was a bigger blow for them given every point counts when you're up against Man City.

The issue is, the vultures are permanently circling. The second we lose, the media and some fans go absolutely mental, prophesying the end of days.

Nothing is going to make the glazers sell short of OT being empty every week but that ain't happening. We've just got to hope that they finally are sick of being a mess and actually realise that they are ******* money up the wall for nothing and its simply a bad way to run a business.

Thats the bit I don't understand. There is quite literally zero benefit to running the club the way they do. They aren't penny pinching. They aren't profiting more by running the club badly. It's just bizarre.

Yes, I've never understood that either. It doesn't make sense on any level.

Soldato

Why would they? The commercial side of the business continued to grow for a very long time, the only issues is that you aren't the top dogs anymore.

They've continually given Utd fans what they ask for, appointed the manager that Ferguson recommended, appointed a well respected manager in LVG that the fans were excited about, appointed Mourinho who every utd fan was wetting their knickers about at the time, appointed a fan favourite in OGS and now appointed Ten Hag who the majority of fans wanted. They've also continuously backed every manager with vast sums or you wouldn't be the biggest spenders over the past decade.

Man of Honour
OP
Why would they? The commercial side of the business continued to grow for a very long time, the only issues is that you aren't the top dogs anymore.

They've continually given Utd fans what they ask for, appointed the manager that Ferguson recommended, appointed a well respected manager in LVG that the fans were excited about, appointed Mourinho who every utd fan was wetting their knickers about at the time, appointed a fan favourite in OGS and now appointed Ten Hag who the majority of fans wanted. They've also continuously backed every manager with vast sums or you wouldn't be the biggest spenders over the past decade.

But the football structure is non-existent/a mess. You can't run a club by permanently attempting to appease the fans. We have indeed spent a fortune, very, very badly.

Ten Hag is a fine managerial appointment but the club need to back him properly too.

Soldato

I think that is an interesting perspective and on the surface of it that's exactly the PR that the Glazers want the fans to believe. However, to counter I'd say that the club doesn't have the correct structure in place to compete with the other elite clubs.
The closest we got to a football blueprint is to suggest we will attack, attack, attack (and we don't), develop young players (we haven't). We have spoken for years about appointing a Director of Football - who is it? Ralf Rangnick? That went well didn't it as the power in the club decided they didn't like what he was suggesting. Finally whilst they have spunked money into the playing side (as badly as anyone) they have completely ignored and run down the physical infrastructure. They've shown very low ambition for the club since they bought it other than developing a global brand. Couple that with an utter contempt for the supporters then it's hard to recommend their ownership.

Soldato
But the football structure is non-existent/a mess. You can't run a club by permanently attempting to appease the fans. We have indeed spent a fortune, very, very badly.

Ten Hag is a fine managerial appointment but the club need to back him properly too.
That was probably more a knock on effect of Ferguson and Gill having to much power and having a huge void when they both left. You've apparently got some 'football' guys in key positions now but there's been no change to how the business has been done this summer. From the outside it feels a little like you are expecting ten hag to chnage to much, be a Klopp type of appointment but he lacks the charisma.

Football has moved on very quickly in the past decade to where it was and you've been left behind, parallels to us and the explosion of the PL in 92.

fez

fez

Caporegime

Why would they care or want to run it better? Because if you were United and winning the league and CL semi-regularly instead of what we have been for the past 10 years, you would probably be around half a billion better off...

They haven't given the fans what they wanted at all. The fans want success and stability. The fans didn't demand any of these managers, they were all chosen by Uniteds "structure". We may have supported the appointments but they were nothing to do with the fans.

Your argument is akin to saying "why haven't those kids done really well? the parents gave them everything, never disciplined them, bought them expensive cars and sent them to a good school". I mean, the parents didn't care and put no effort into actually raising their kids but they had loads of expensive things thrust at them, how could it be the parents fault.

A well run club trumps a rich one every day of the week.

Soldato
Why would they care or want to run it better? Because if you were United and winning the league and CL semi-regularly instead of what we have been for the past 10 years, you would probably be around half a billion better off...
Clubs very rarely win the PL and CL regularly (only one British club has managed that ;)), even under your greatest ever manager you continually failed in Europe - the expectation your fanbase has is unrealistic based on that period of domestic dominance.
They haven't given the fans what they wanted at all. The fans want success and stability. The fans didn't demand any of these managers, they were all chosen by Uniteds "structure". We may have supported the appointments but they were nothing to do with the fans.
I dont think your memory, particularly around the time Mourinho was appointed, is very good. They've constantly given the fans want they wanted, be it old players coming back (Ronaldo), managerial appointments or spending far more than your competitors. The issue is you've come up against a financially doped football team in Man City whose entire set up was for the benefit of Guardiola (and in the next 5-10 years time Newcastle) and a Liverpool team who are managed by the best manager in the world with Klopp. Man City could well hit the same sort of problems once Guardiola leaves, although they do have one advantage you didn't in that they can blow 99.99% of clubs out the water financially.

You'd probably be in a lot better position if you hadn't lost ferguson and gill at the same time. Mind you I'd also have a lot more sympathy for you if there had been this level of unrest at your ownership outside of one little fanzine when you were actually winning things.
Your argument is akin to saying "why haven't those kids done really well? the parents gave them everything, never disciplined them, bought them expensive cars and sent them to a good school". I mean, the parents didn't care and put no effort into actually raising their kids but they had loads of expensive things thrust at them, how could it be the parents fault.
Sure I'll accept your analogy, the utd fanbase does indeed act like spoilt kids the majority of the time :D

Soldato
Relegation battle ha ha..

Rangnick exposed how bad things and was right in saying 10 or 11 players will be needed

That’s what you call a reset

See you next seasons chaps :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
Clubs very rarely win the PL and CL regularly (only one British club has managed that ;)), even under your greatest ever manager you continually failed in Europe - the expectation your fanbase has is unrealistic based on that period of domestic dominance.

I dont think your memory, particularly around the time Mourinho was appointed, is very good. They've constantly given the fans want they wanted, be it old players coming back (Ronaldo), managerial appointments or spending far more than your competitors. The issue is you've come up against a financially doped football team in Man City whose entire set up was for the benefit of Guardiola (and in the next 5-10 years time Newcastle) and a Liverpool team who are managed by the best manager in the world with Klopp. Man City could well hit the same sort of problems once Guardiola leaves, although they do have one advantage you didn't in that they can blow 99.99% of clubs out the water financially.

You'd probably be in a lot better position if you hadn't lost ferguson and gill at the same time. Mind you I'd also have a lot more sympathy for you if there had been this level of unrest at your ownership outside of one little fanzine when you were actually winning things.

Sure I'll accept your analogy, the utd fanbase does indeed act like spoilt kids the majority of the time :D

I sometimes forget for 5 minutes that you are always on the windup when it comes to United but you never put enough subtlety into it to actually sell it.

Soldato
United are screaming out for pace up front... Not more midfielder...(Rabiot etc)

Ronaldo - we all know the issues there
Martial - injury prone, has bags of pace and potential but literally turns up 1 in 5 games
Rashford - off the boil, looks totally disinterested for last 12 months, can't be relied upon as a centre forward
Sancho - wide player, looks a total shadow of the player he was in Germany
Beyond that - Shoretire/Chong/Elanga - nothing obvious there.

Jones/Bailly & Lindelöf are all still there - Just dreadful - Jones is just taking the micky now, I understand his contract and wages, but clearly zero desire to play football - just suck up the wages till his contract runs out.

United should get their business done early and move forward - it's a joke the last 5 years running around after players like Igahlo / etc.....

Would rather have seen them spend crazy money, like £75 million on Declan Rice even - someone who will at least drag other players around him along.....

Club is in a total state from top down.... No plan, no action, just wander along and hope something changes..

Soldato
Yeah ETH or any manager would have wanted business done in the first week or two of the TM opening , like MC and Liverpool did.

Nobody knows what all the top level appointments and changes of director of football etc means either.

probably be waiting another 5 years for the changes to reap fruit :D

Soldato
Looks like Michael Knighton is going to submit a bid for Utd take over, a 'hostile' one apparently. A consortium have the funds and plan ready and MK said will 'guarantee', so take that how you want.

https://www.sportbible.com/utddistr...l-knighton-hostile-bid-glazer-family-20220809
I don't understand how a hostile takeover is supposed to work in this circumstance. The idea is that it's an attempt to buy the majority of shares without the boards support because you're offering enough to tempt the shareholders. But the Glazers hold the majority of shares themselves, so there's still no way to do this without their agreement.
So it seems like this whole thing is just a publicity stunt.

Soldato
I don't understand how a hostile takeover is supposed to work in this circumstance. The idea is that it's an attempt to buy the majority of shares without the boards support because you're offering enough to tempt the shareholders. But the Glazers hold the majority of shares themselves, so there's still no way to do this without their agreement.
So it seems like this whole thing is just a publicity stunt.
From what I can make out from my quick google and lack of take over knowledge, it is a case, in this particular situation, that this consortium will approach and submit the bid saying, you have had your chance and your model is no longer in the best interest of the club, footballing wise, so we are offering you this massive wad of money to bugger off an never return.
Thats the word on redcafe and reddit anyway

Back
Top Bottom