The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

fez

fez

Caporegime
ETH currently sits at a 61% win percentage even after our abysmal season. That would be closer to the 70 mark if we didn't have the injury issues that we have had this season. The gutter press laughed at him when he said this in a presser a couple of matches ago but he is right really.

I think thats not taken entirely seriously because we have played awfully a lot of the time and we either win or lose for the most part.

Permabanned
I think increasing capacity beyond 75k makes sense, but going as high as 90-100k would be madness, and you'd end up with ~10% empty for most games i imagine.

It looks like Man Utd want to use the same designers who built the new Spurs ground. It was interesting reading interviews with the designers (Populus) at the time that the Spurs stadium was finished. One of the main points of discussion was the capacity - why spend £1bn on a new stadium and “only” have a capacity of 60-65k? Spurs comfortably sell out every game these days – at eye-watering prices – so there’s an argument that they could have gone higher.

The ultimate argument against a higher capacity was that anyone sitting outside of that initial 65k is going to get a bad view and it harms the atmosphere. Thats certainly my experience at Wembley. So it’s amusing to hear talk of the same designers now being involved with a project that could go all the way to 100k.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think that playing good, exciting football is probably quite useful for an atmosphere. The design of the stadium obviously helps. I absolutely hate the stadiums that sit fans about 20ft back, have 2 tiers of advertising boards by the pitch and then millions of the damn things everywhere else. Its so distracting from the actual game.

As for capacity, there must be a way to build X with the ability to expand in future if required. I imagine 90k would be a sweet spot for United though.

Last edited:
Soldato
ETH currently sits at a 61% win percentage even after our abysmal season. That would be closer to the 70 mark if we didn't have the injury issues that we have had this season. The gutter press laughed at him when he said this in a presser a couple of matches ago but he is right really.

Apparently we won 3 more games in all competitions than Liverpool since ETH took over, not sure how many games each team played. Looking at PL alone we have as many wins as Liverpool over that period. Our problem is that we often play crap and don't get many draws.

Soldato
I think that playing good, exciting football is probably quite useful for an atmosphere. The design of the stadium obviously helps. I absolutely hate the stadiums that sit fans about 20ft back, have 2 tiers of advertising boards by the pitch and then millions of the damn things everywhere else. Its so distracting from the actual game.

As for capacity, there must be a way to build X with the ability to expand in future if required. I imagine 90k would be a sweet spot for United though.
I'm on the 100k side. I think Utd should have had 100k years ago. Barca is 100k =/- a few k, 105k :eek: I see no reason why we couldn't fill it every home game.

edit: I see A new Utd stadium like this.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm on the 100k side. I think Utd should have had 100k years ago. Barca is 100k =/- a few k, 105k :eek: I see no reason why we couldn't fill it every home game.

Apparently Barca have an avg. attendance of 83,000 so you would think thats quite a bit short for plenty of games and then heaving for the big ones. As a comparison, Uniteds is basically capacity ever home game. I wonder if that would still be the case if that capacity was raised by nearly 30k.

Soldato
Apparently Barca have an avg. attendance of 83,000 so you would think thats quite a bit short for plenty of games and then heaving for the big ones. As a comparison, Uniteds is basically capacity ever home game. I wonder if that would still be the case if that capacity was raised by nearly 30k.
I'm optimistic. I think we could, 93-96k average over a season. Full on big games like Liverpool man City European games etc.

Caporegime

The Spanish are all skint though. Cannot compare to England.

Soldato
Martinez back for 20 minutes and now out with a muscle injury. Both him and Lindelof out for a month. Not sure Varane will be fit after going off so we are back to Maguire as our only fit centre back. Even Evans is injured. Unbelievable.

Man of Honour
Martinez out again with a calf strain, absolutely mental. I was confident about the Chelsea game with him back and bringing some leadership to the back four, now I think a draw would be a good result

There's a certain element of bad luck going on, sure, but something else is clearly going on. We must have the worlds worst medical team and physios or we have the most ridiculously gruelling training session

Associate
I would assume when recovering from injuries a players other muscles may have to compensate putting these muscles under additional stress.
Also, in Martinez’s case, as a player who always appears to play at 100%, it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s trying to overcompensate due to lost time through injury by pushing himself too hard in training.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think he missed like 4 games at Ajax under ETH and here he’s been gone for something like 43… it’s insane. But also shows it’s shouldn’t be down to ETH training methods, at least?

It’s a real shame, as him and Højlund have been my favourite players of the ETH era/saga/torture.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Reading a few of ETH’s latest comments, I’m sure he has some form of superiority complex

God knows why

I hate seeing us lose but if it means we get rid of him, then good. Performances like we had against Liverpool in the FA Cup make people think "Maybe he is the right man?", same with last night, coming back from 2-0 down. But unfortunately, our more consistent performances are more like the ones that allowed Chelsea to come back from 3-2 to win 4-3 in 2 minutes of stoppage time

Whoever comes in needs to be someone who is either willing to drop Rashford, or even better, sell him while he's still worth something. The guy isn't good enough, despite what his little purple patches of form might suggest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom