The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Soldato
Wages is the biggest issue - No one is taking on players like Martial who's on £250k a week.... Hardly plays due to injuries and when he does play has 1 decent game in 5....

Money/offers for players is fine, but lots of them will just stay put due to the wages - Just look at the nonsense of the Phil Jones situation....Played 13 games over 4 years at the end of his career at United as he was on £120k a week by all accounts and was happy to just sit there and take the money.

I'm all for a good clear out - but I don't see more than 2 or 3 players actually leaving due to no other clubs going to take the wages on.

Yeh, you have to sub the wages. Same as what Chelsea/City have to do or give the player a cut of the transfer fee to get them of the books. Didn’t Phil Jones sign a new contract or was offered one during that period?

Soldato
Yeh, you have to sub the wages. Same as what Chelsea/City have to do or give the player a cut of the transfer fee to get them of the books. Didn’t Phil Jones sign a new contract or was offered one during that period?

I think he was offered a 6 year contract at one point, signed it, played the rest of the season, then basically played like 12 games over next 4 years - yes some injuries in there but not 4 years worth!!

Soldato
I think Martial contract runs out this summer as does Varane.

Then it is just unloading Sancho, Rashford and possibly Casemiro.

That would put a massive positive on our wages.

yeah - don't disagree with any of them but even looking around at the rest,

Mount, Amrabat, Eriksen, VD Beek - None of them look even close to ever actually appearing for United in a run of games...

I would happily see the back of 8-10 players in that squad but what are we filling it with after that.....

Caporegime
I think he was offered a 6 year contract at one point, signed it, played the rest of the season, then basically played like 12 games over next 4 years - yes some injuries in there but not 4 years worth!!
He was pretty much injured the whole time, that is why we kept him on and why he hasn't signed for another club since leaving us. They ended his career.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
...... what are we filling it with after that.....
As per my previous post, I say the kids. No idea on how many we have in the various ages groups, but I would guess 100+. Some are already established, (mainoo, Nacho-was he academy? etc) and a few other creeping in. Get rid of the usual suspects, replace with the kids, along with a few cheaper but experienced players who can give us a year or two. Succumb to the fact we will be mid table-Eurpoa for 2 years. Bed those kids in and keep an eye out for other established players in the meantime.

Caporegime
As per my previous post, I say the kids. No idea on how many we have in the various ages groups, but I would guess 100+. Some are already established, (mainoo, Nacho-was he academy? etc) and a few other creeping in. Get rid of the usual suspects, replace with the kids, along with a few cheaper but experienced players who can give us a year or two. Succumb to the fact we will be mid table-Eurpoa for 2 years. Bed those kids in and keep an eye out for other established players in the meantime.
We'd be relegated if we did that.

Looks like we've got a new temporary CEO, Blanc is joining us from INEOS until Berrada takes over in the summer.

Man of Honour
OP
We'd be relegated if we did that.

Looks like we've got a new temporary CEO, Blanc is joining us from INEOS until Berrada takes over in the summer.

Sounds sensible, I think Blanc was going on the board initially.

He's got more than enough experience to make any decisions prior to July 13th when Berrada starts.

Soldato
Simply.put, Man Utds problem is that, since Fellaini, on average they've probably spent at least twice as much in fees and wages as they've got value on the field.

Add in they've sold no one of any value and it's no wonder they're now a Europa Cup level side.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Simply.put, Man Utds problem is that, since Fellaini, on average they've probably spent at least twice as much in fees and wages as they've got value on the field.

Add in they've sold no one of any value and it's no wonder they're now a Europa Cup level side.

I think you are being overly generous. We regularly overpay double a players value and pay them far too much but by the time we are done with them we have also halved their real value.

Soldato
Really doesn't reflect well on ETH the performance from Sancho at Dortmund. Maybe all the media ***** players put up with here is different, but ETH isn't the one coming out of this looking good.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't defend ETH often, and I'm one of those who want him gone, but with regards to his treatment of Sancho, I absolutely agree with it. It wasn't just his performances for us that were the problem, it was his attitude, lots of stories about being late for training, fitness being crap. ETH gave him that break to sort himself out before and it obviously wasn't enough. And he was the same at Dortmund in his first spell apparently, in terms of punctuality and attitude.

Sancho clearly needs to be in an environment where he feels all loved and pampered, and maybe have people around him to stroke his ego. He clearly didn't get that at United, which is funny as if he played with the attitude that he does for Dortmund, he'd likely be our best player, bar Bruno, so would get all the praise and love that he so requires.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Really doesn't reflect well on ETH the performance from Sancho last night. Maybe all the media ***** players put up with here is different, but ETH isn't the one coming out of this looking good.

Fixed that for you. Hes not done that well at Dortmund since going back overall. Last night he was just absolutely on one. PSG played to his strengths perfectly and he took advantage of that.

This doesn't reflect on EtH at all. Watch him in the PL vs last night. He was always receiving the ball in space and facing up to his man. In the PL he was receiving the ball with a guy nipping at his heels most of the time and defenders are far far more aggressive.

If he was playing every week in the BL like that you might have a point.

Soldato
Fixed that for you. Hes not done that well at Dortmund since going back overall. Last night he was just absolutely on one. PSG played to his strengths perfectly and he took advantage of that.

This doesn't reflect on EtH at all. Watch him in the PL vs last night. He was always receiving the ball in space and facing up to his man. In the PL he was receiving the ball with a guy nipping at his heels most of the time and defenders are far far more aggressive.

If he was playing every week in the BL like that you might have a point.
I mean he was training with the kids and eating jam sandwiches in the car park. Considering the time he will have needed to get sharp id argue he's done well tbh. From a brief look on sofascore he is well up there in the games he hasnt scored in for ratings.

Soldato
Who exactly is ETH bringing the best out of? Your manager should be making sure all your squad realises their full potential, and he failed miserably with Sancho, for whatever reason.

Are there any players that have improved under ETH? I'm not one of those calling for his head.... but there are huge questions marks over his man management. If you've got a player who's sensitive to criticism, you don't call him out in a press conference.

Caporegime
Who exactly is ETH bringing the best out of? Your manager should be making sure all your squad realises their full potential, and he failed miserably with Sancho, for whatever reason.

Are there any players that have improved under ETH? I'm not one of those calling for his head.... but there are huge questions marks over his man management. If you've got a player who's sensitive to criticism, you don't call him out in a press conference.

Sancho has been rubbish for United since he came. He had two managers before ETH. Having a good game in a cup semi final doesn't make you a super star. Just ask Origi.

The only positive from this is that we might not lose as much money on Sancho that is all. He still needs to go in the summer.

Caporegime

So players can do whatever they want, turn up late for training, not try, with no consequences?

Man of Honour

Again, that's not just an ETH problem. Man Utd have failed miserably to bring the best out of players since Fergie left. How many players have we signed where they should have been a great signing, and for whatever reason, they've just been terrible or we've failed to get the best out of them.

Pogba
Sanchez
Sancho
Di Maria
Lukaku

Being the most notable, and I'll tell you something that is a common denominator in all those above, their attitudes stunk the place out. Came for money or didn't really want to be at the club to begin with and our shambolic recruitment policy was just to make marque signings and throw money at the wrong players.

On the flip side, we've signed and improved lots of players, mainly younger players for the future who have been signed for the right reasons or bought through the ranks. Look what ETH has done with Garnacho and Mainoo, how much of that can be credited to him is debatable, but he gave them their chance

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom