The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Soldato
Amazing how rival fans love to conflate anything they can to have a dig at United. Lets just completely ignore the fact Sancho was hot garbage under OGS and not just ETH, and how his time at Dortmund has also resulted in questions raised about his performances. The German media lambasted him for being the worst player on the pitch when they lost to Hoffenheim.

Sancho clearly has talent but lacks the work ethic to unlock his full potential. He's hardly ripping it up in the BDL, 2 goals and 1 assist in 12 games according to Sofascore.

Soldato
The bare minimum would be not to call them in public. That's not going to help the player, manager, fans or the club from a commercial perspective. Surely that's simply remaining professional?

Maybe it's just the point you get to when all the mollycoddling doesn't work. Maybe you wonder if a public comment might have a positive impact.

It's not like he really threw him under the bus. It's a while back but didn't it go something like

Reporter - How come you didn't include Sancho in the squad
ETH - I didn't feel he was training at the required level

It's not like he came out calling him a ****

Soldato
Maybe it's just the point you get to when all the mollycoddling doesn't work. Maybe you wonder if a public comment might have a positive impact.

It's not like he really threw him under the bus. It's a while back but didn't it go something like

Reporter - How come you didn't include Sancho in the squad
ETH - I didn't feel he was training at the required level

It's not like he came out calling him a ****
He called him out and said until he says sorry he's not playing again! Public ultimatums to young millionaires is never going to motivate or end in a positive outcome.

Soldato
He called him out and said until he says sorry he's not playing again! Public ultimatums to young millionaires is never going to motivate or end in a positive outcome.
I don’t think he ever said that publicly? He just said what Fez quoted and the rest had come via news reports.

I don’t think it’s unfair or harsh of ETH to say what Fez quoted publicly. Nor is it unjust to receive an apology for poor behaviour and making stupid statements on social media and throwing your toys out of the pram when you don’t get your own way.

It’s the usual Utd media frenzy, same as what has been shown by Sancho having one good game and everyone foaming at the mouth about it.

Soldato
So players can do whatever they want, turn up late for training, not try, with no consequences?
Even if you assume Sancho is 100% at fault.....why is it Dortmund are capable of managing him successfully, but we aren't? It's a failure of management however you look at it.

Caporegime
That's not what he did at all lol.

He asked him to apologise in private, Sancho refused. He then said he wouldn't be considered for the squad again until he did. Some of you seem to want players to get away with anything. Letting a player dictate when they play, when they train, how much effort they put in is a disastrous path to go on.

Also weirdly ETH asked for the same apology from Rashford and Garnacho when they ****** up. Both did and got on with their jobs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Even if you assume Sancho is 100% at fault.....why is it Dortmund are capable of managing him successfully, but we aren't? It's a failure of management however you look at it.
Dortmund is a club that has no expectations at all. If they don't win something for years nobody bats an eyelid. At United if you lose a couple of games the media spotlight is incredibly intense, it's just not comparable at all. It's pretty clear that Sancho can't handle the expectations.

It's not a failure of management, you just want to pin this on ETH for some reason. There was no other action that ETH could have taken that would have seen Sancho be a success here. He wasn't before ETH was here either, under two different managers.

Soldato
It's a failure of management however you look at it.
What utter nonsense. He had a good game last night but he’s hardly been ripping it up since he went back. Whatever other issues there may be with ETH, you can’t pin the sancho fiasco on him. Unless of course you know more than the rest of us about the goings on surrounding all this?

fez

fez

Caporegime

Of course its not. By all accounts he was indulged at Dortmund because he was their star player and wasn't being paid silly money. At big clubs where you have a bunch of other egos and you are paying him £300k/week you hold players to higher standards of behaviour. I mean, **** it, if he wants to earn £100k/week at United i'm sure the manager could be persuaded to let him have a little more leeway.

Caporegime
He was being paid huge money at Dortmund too, that is why his contract with us is so high.

He could score 40 goals at Dortmund, it doesn't change the fact that his problem is disciplinary, not ability. ETH said that multiple times too.

Soldato
What utter nonsense. He had a good game last night but he’s hardly been ripping it up since he went back. Whatever other issues there may be with ETH, you can’t pin the sancho fiasco on him. Unless of course you know more than the rest of us about the goings on surrounding all this?
I know there's a talented (and expensive player) who seems to flourish when he's not playing at our dysfunctional club.

If we were a successful club performing well, with loads of happy players, maybe you'd have a point. But we're playing *****, our players look perpetually ****** off, and you have a player leave and suddenly find form.....just maybe they aren't the issue.

A football team is a squad of human beings, not drones. You need to be able to manage different personalities, and so far, ETH has shown weakness in that area.

Soldato
That's not what he did at all lol.

He asked him to apologise in private, Sancho refused. He then said he wouldn't be considered for the squad again until he did. Some of you seem to want players to get away with anything. Letting a player dictate when they play, when they train, how much effort they put in is a disastrous path to go on.

Also weirdly ETH asked for the same apology from Rashford and Garnacho when they ****** up. Both did and got on with their jobs.

Rashford is setting the world on fire this season… as I said I am all for discipline if it’s deemed required but don’t bring it into public.

Caporegime
Rashford is setting the world on fire this season… as I said I am all for discipline if it’s deemed required but don’t bring it into public.
I'm not sure what that has got to do with it? Rashford screwed up, he apologised and the matter was settled.

Sancho brought it public by refusing to apologise in private. ETH has to give some explanation for his absence from the team. What do you expect ETH to do? Go "ok then no apology, back in the team you go"

Last edited:
Soldato
So players can do whatever they want, turn up late for training, not try, with no consequences?

This is the bingo card right here, he also had the same reports from Germany.

If he was performing on any level, lets be honest, no one would even batter an eye lid and ETH wouldn’t have kicked him out. Fact is he was utter dross for Utd and wouldn’t be missed at all. They’ve just got to hope that he continues like this in the big games and gets some value back.

Caporegime
He was being paid huge money at Dortmund too, that is why his contract with us is so high.

He could score 40 goals at Dortmund, it doesn't change the fact that his problem is disciplinary, not ability. ETH said that multiple times too.

Fergie got rid of Stam and RVN for less who were light years better players then Sancho could even dream of.

Keeping the peace is more important in the dressing room than a single player.

Players with attitudes like Sancho is the entire reason we are a banter club. J lingz, Pogba, Martial were exactly the same. You could argue Rashford has it in him too.

The culture of this club needs a reset and players who want to fight be kept.

Players like Maguire and Mcsauce are players we should be looking to keep just so the youngsters can see what "right" mentality looks like. Regardless how good they are.

Soldato
I know there's a talented (and expensive player) who seems to flourish when he's not playing at our dysfunctional club.
Is he really flourishing? From what I can tell his form since his return to Dortmund has been mediocre at best, despite how well he played in the CL semi.
If we were a successful club performing well, with loads of happy players, maybe you'd have a point. But we're playing *****, our players look perpetually ****** off, and you have a player leave and suddenly find form.....just maybe they aren't the issue.
My point is that trying to pin the blame on Sanchos behaviour and form for UTD on ETH is unfair.
A football team is a squad of human beings, not drones. You need to be able to manage different personalities, and so far, ETH has shown weakness in that area.
He gave him months off, said nothing negative about the lad during that time, clearly mollycoddled him, gave it the old kid gloves treatment and when he came back his form still didn’t improve. I think, without knowing all the inner workings of the club, ETH handled Sancho perfectly fine.

It’s a shame either way because as you say there’s a talented player in there on his day.

Soldato
Is he really flourishing? From what I can tell his form since his return to Dortmund has been mediocre at best, despite how well he played in the CL semi.

My point is that trying to pin the blame on Sanchos behaviour and form for UTD on ETH is unfair.

He gave him months off, said nothing negative about the lad during that time, clearly mollycoddled him, gave it the old kid gloves treatment and when he came back his form still didn’t improve. I think, without knowing all the inner workings of the club, ETH handled Sancho perfectly fine.

It’s a shame either way because as you say there’s a talented player in there on his day.
OK, so he handled Sancho fine.

Don't you think it would have been a better result if he didn't fall out with Sancho and the lad was happy and playing well for us?

I'm struggling to understand how falling out with expensive players and having them bugger off on loan is some kind of win for ETH, without absolving Sancho from blame obviously.

Soldato
Don't you think it would have been a better result if he didn't fall out with Sancho and the lad was happy and playing well for us?
Yup. Certainly would have been better.
I'm struggling to understand how falling out with expensive players and having them bugger off on loan is some kind of win for ETH, without absolving Sancho from blame obviously.
The reason you’re struggling is because literally no one is saying it’s a win for ETH.

Edit: by that I mean it was a situation where there were likely never going to be any ‘winners’

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom