The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;24632340 said:
The first Feathers shave tends to go like this:

ME : this'll be easy!
F : no
ME : oops, cut myself a little bit there!
ME : dammit, nicked myself again!
ME : OH MY GOD I'VE CUT MY ENTIRE NECK OFF!
F: yes

:cool:

:)

To be fair, I've cut myself far worse with Derbys.

Soldato
The best blades for me are:-

- Gillette 7 O'Clock Russian Yellow's, Russian Green's, Indian Black's
- Astra SP
- Iridium's (Super or Polisilver)
- IP Red's
- Rapira Super Stainless
- Rapira Swedish Supersteel

I've tried these one's
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black - Super Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow - Sharp Edge
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green - Super Stainless
PolSilver Super Iridium
Gillette Super Thin (Red/Black) - New Stainless
Astra Superior Platinum
Wilkinson Sword Double Edge
Gillette / Wilkinson Sword White Stainless - Saloon Pack
Rapira Super Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green - Perma Sharp
Gillette / Wilkinson Sword Blue Stainless
Super Max Blue Diamond
Personna Platinum
Astra Superior Stainless
Derby Extra Super Stainless
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Super Thin Platinum
Shark Super Stainless
Wilkinson Sword NOS English Gold with Black Bar
Feather New Hi Stainless Platinum
Iridium Super
Perma Sharp Super Stainless
Super Max Platinum
Treet Platinum Super Stainless
Super Max Titanium
Bolzano Superinox
Tiger Superior Stainless
Voskhod Teflon Coated
Ladas Super Stainless
Rapira Stainless
Sputnik Cnythnk
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Gillette Super Thin (Red/Black) - New Improved
Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue - Super Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus
Schick Premium
Merkur Super
Personna Super Stainless Double Edge
Super Max Stainless (Blue/Orange Box)
Elios Inoxidable
Super Max Super Stainless (Blue Box)
Lord Platium

I started DE shaving with Derby's and thought they were bad, i used them again after a year of DE shaving and they were fine. Technique when i started was the problem, like it is for most people.

Last edited:
Soldato
On a related note, can people lost their top three razor blade brands? :)

I haven't tried that many but mine would be:

Feathers, Sharks, Merkurs.

Gillette 7'o'clock (Russian) Green
Feathers
Astra

I haven't tried that many to be honest. Once I found the gillettes and feathers suited me, I bought them in bulk.

SPACEMAN - that is quite a list!!

Last edited:
Soldato
I went through loads of sample packs from various places to find which i like best :)

I ordered a load of Astra SP's (500) and Rapira Super Stainless (300) from Bestshave today, they should keep me going for the next 8 years or so. with a couple of other bits £50 delivered.

If i didnt buy so many razors i would make quite a saving over cartridges there, haha.

Soldato
I have the same problem in certain areas on my neck and on my cheeks. I will run the blade over it with no pressure at all, but this just leads to 'trimming' of the hair rather than shaving it completely. Everywhere else on my face though, it's fine.

How do you know the problem isn't being caused by your technique?

I tried varying angles and pressures to the point I exhausted all possible "techniques". I cannot believe there is a "technique" I did not try during my shave with it last night.
Let me point out that it did do the job and shave me after much encouragement, but I have had closer shaves from cartridge razors, even cheapo disposable ones. I'm not saying all of this to be controversial, I want it to work given the investment. I'm really disappointed at the moment, but, it was my first shave. I think I was expecting to effortlessly glide through hair like it was...I dunno..razor sharp or something. Imagine my insanity.

Soldato
I have the same problem in certain areas on my neck and on my cheeks. I will run the blade over it with no pressure at all, but this just leads to 'trimming' of the hair rather than shaving it completely. Everywhere else on my face though, it's fine.

How do you know the problem isn't being caused by your technique?

It is not intended to lop the hair off in one go. Three passes, WTG, XTG & ATG = hair all gone.

Soldato
^ That area will be growing flatter in a slightly different direction.

Here's a few tips.

1. Figure out growth direction, it's different for everyone > Example.
2. Try and stand the hairs up by pulling the skin flat or making funny faces. Example. (Multi-blade carts/leccy razors try and do this for you, it's a major part of the 'technique')
3. Alter the blade angle for different areas if skin stretching doesn't achieve the desired effect. Example.

Caporegime
I haven't looked at the above examples so apologies if they cover off this exact point but a good tip is to allow the hair to grow. If you can - and a lot of people can't for numerous reasons - don't shave and let the hair grow to an extent that you can actually see how it 'sits'. This will show you what your passes are actually dealing with as the hairs will not grow to an uniform length, nor will they always grow in the same direction. Remembering this map will make a big difference in how you shave.

Soldato
I finished sanding down the grid i made for my razor box today and glued it.

I'll add a lining at the bottom of the box at some point, then it will be complete.

s100xedd

EDIT: I lined the box today, it is now a complete project :)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a bit shocked people aren't just saying your first shave is going to be rubbish. Hardly anyone gets a good shave until they have been doing it for awhile. It isn't something you just master in a day.

It is very easy to put the parts together wrong so you can't use the razor with most 3 part ones. I've seen that happen a lot on shaving forums.

Associate
i bought a merkur 34c, pure badger hair brush, taylor of old bond street Almond, and a pack of feather blades. (starter kit from traditionalshaving.co.uk)
had my first shave with it this morning, and it was a great shave, did a 3 pass shave, smoothest skin feel since shaving (not including early years with fluff)
not a single nick in my skin using the supplied merkur blade.
I have only used cartridge type razors, and electric before, so i am a DE virgin.

Associate
i bought a merkur 34c, pure badger hair brush, taylor of old bond street Almond, and a pack of feather blades. (starter kit from traditionalshaving.co.uk)
had my first shave with it this morning, and it was a great shave, did a 3 pass shave, smoothest skin feel since shaving (not including early years with fluff)
not a single nick in my skin using the supplied merkur blade.
I have only used cartridge type razors, and electric before, so i am a DE virgin.

Fairly unusual from reading about first shaves for a while. I guess some people are just lucky. Took me about 2 weeks of shaving to get it right. Glad it is working so great for you.

Soldato
So I've just had my second DE shave and I'm a little concerned about the bleeding from my neck. Admittedly it ins't much, but it looks more like it's going to turn into a rash rather than actual cuts from the blade?

I started using DE blades because I thought I'd get away from this type of drama, so could anybody give me a bit of reassurance? :p

DjVntN1l.jpg.png

Soldato
I had that kind of thing with my first couple of DE shaves, too. My first shave produced very similar cuts to those depicted in your snap. Then, my skin settled down as my technique improved. I think it was also sort of ironing out the skin from when it was solely shaved with Mach Quattros for years, if that makes sense. My skin under the chin is prone to that kind of thing anyway, so I treat it with a lot of respect now and prepare it with a pre-shave oil if I think it's going to suffer. It has never been as bad as the first shave, though. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the responses, will be extra careful with the next few shaves. Admittedly my technique isn't great yet but I'm certain this is down to the skin rather than me, but we will see.

Can anybody recommend a good post-shave balm/moisturiser?

Soldato
Thanks for the responses, will be extra careful with the next few shaves. Admittedly my technique isn't great yet but I'm certain this is down to the skin rather than me, but we will see.

Can anybody recommend a good post-shave balm/moisturiser?

I use Proraso pre/post shave cream, and it feels really nice. also good to put on before shave as well (as I originally just used it post shave). however, it will give you feedback where you're going to deep, however I found it better than most off the shelf brands.

I'd also get an alum block if you bleed a lot.

Associate
So I've just had my second DE shave and I'm a little concerned about the bleeding from my neck. Admittedly it ins't much, but it looks more like it's going to turn into a rash rather than actual cuts from the blade?

I started using DE blades because I thought I'd get away from this type of drama, so could anybody give me a bit of reassurance? :p

DjVntN1l.jpg.png

was that from going at the bottom and coming upwards with the razor, south to north? or starting near your jaw and going down? whichever caused it only do the opposite, on my neck i can only start from the bottom and go up or i get horrible razor burn

Soldato
was that from going at the bottom and coming upwards with the razor, south to north? or starting near your jaw and going down? whichever caused it only do the opposite, on my neck i can only start from the bottom and go up or i get horrible razor burn

The bleeding first started when going from chin to chest. I saw a couple of videos that recommended three passes, so I went chin to chest, chest to chin then back from chin to chest.

It doesn't look as bad now as I thought it would, but it's still not as great as I'd have liked.

I have just ordered some Bluebeards Revenge Pre-Shave Oil and some Proraso Pre & Post Shave Cream, hopefully they should help a little..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom