The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
A quick turn around from a week ago when we turned down a flat due to the ground rent increases, have had an offer accepted on a 2 bed terraced victorian house, time for the survey, and if all goes well, a quick exchange.

Soldato
Nice but some horrendous taste going on in there!

Haha I assume the purple cupboards are a bit it in the utility room, plus the green gym ( dining room) otherwise it was ok the main bedroom has grey skirting which isn’t to my taste either. Luckily it’s just paint. The kitchen sold it to us the pictures do it no justice plus the leds have party mode ... lol

Soldato
I think it's also the mix of that orange bed and the lime green walls in the gym room!

Looks like the island is also made of purple cupboards?

It's weird as a lot of the rest of the house is quite neutral! It's like one person has horrendous taste and the conversation went like "i'll let you do the rest of the house as long as i can have x and y"

EDIT - Weird. I'm sure when i first saw your post i only read a bit about the utility room. Did you add the rest after?

Associate
Well we are in theory moving today. I say theory because the solicitors acting for the buyer of my house have been useless and appear to have lied about certain things they hadnt done in time and refused to exchange until they had buyers funds. They eventually got the funds yesterday at 4pm but still refused to exchange as file needed reviewing.

Today is the 2nd date for moving with the last getting no where near so was moved numerous data before. So it's going to be a simpltaneous exchange and complete. Luckily my solicitor is very good and experienced and has kept it on track with me hassling Estate agents and the buyer. Thankfully booked removals for the day but they have to be asked to standby as time of exchange is slightly unknown as all depends on transfers ect. We are hoping that by 10 we can get the van loaded up. Was still packing at gone midnight last night and woke up at 6 this morning.

Can't believe how much stuff we have binned. Got two more cars of stuff for tip this morning and must have done 30 ish bin bags full already.

Anyway fingers crossed

Soldato
Well we are in theory moving today. I say theory because the solicitors acting for the buyer of my house have been useless and appear to have lied about certain things they hadnt done in time and refused to exchange until they had buyers funds. They eventually got the funds yesterday at 4pm but still refused to exchange as file needed reviewing.

Today is the 2nd date for moving with the last getting no where near so was moved numerous data before. So it's going to be a simpltaneous exchange and complete. Luckily my solicitor is very good and experienced and has kept it on track with me hassling Estate agents and the buyer. Thankfully booked removals for the day but they have to be asked to standby as time of exchange is slightly unknown as all depends on transfers ect. We are hoping that by 10 we can get the van loaded up. Was still packing at gone midnight last night and woke up at 6 this morning.

Can't believe how much stuff we have binned. Got two more cars of stuff for tip this morning and must have done 30 ish bin bags full already.

Anyway fingers crossed

All the very best. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Man of Honour
How helpful are companies for quoting work on a house you're in the process of buying?
also interested in the question, as soon as mortgage is confirmed, will be trying to get quotes for carpets and obviously would be good if I could line them up for the day after completion, before I move furniture after. All being well should have a 4 day overlap.

Man of Honour
another question is income protection mainly critical illness worth it? seems to be around £30 a month for 70% of wage with maximum claim being 2 years.
im leaning towards no, get 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay, if i die whilst employed someone gets a nice large payout and they'll do their best to find suitable work assuming I can do a different job.
if critical illness then 2 years isn't going to be enough, 10 years is like £50 a month. or you'll die from the illness anyway and I'm assuming there will be 1001 get out clauses, so what have most of you done, taken it not taken it. Or do something like mortgage protection instead or cash lum sum.

Soldato
another question is income protection mainly critical illness worth it? seems to be around £30 a month for 70% of wage with maximum claim being 2 years.
im leaning towards no, get 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay, if i die whilst employed someone gets a nice large payout and they'll do their best to find suitable work assuming I can do a different job.
if critical illness then 2 years isn't going to be enough, 10 years is like £50 a month. or you'll die from the illness anyway and I'm assuming there will be 1001 get out clauses, so what have most of you done, taken it not taken it. Or do something like mortgage protection instead or cash lum sum.
Good question.

Soldato
Yeah that's something i'm currently considering too.

Purely a dead mans policy for my wife and i is £22 a month (210k mortgage), because of my wifes age/illness history, it then goes up to £130 for critical illness cover too. Then i started playing around with numbers and for £55 a month we could get £18k critical illness which is not worth anything.

The other option is to have only life cover for my wife but 200k critical illness for myself.

So many things to consider!

Back
Top Bottom