The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Trying to do a soft quote for building and contents insurance. Seems to be coming out at £9-14 a month although I need to check some bits!

Anyone know how you calculate how much of your roof is flat in %? I can't get my head around this one..it's not flat! :p

Associate
Trying to do a soft quote for building and contents insurance. Seems to be coming out at £9-14 a month although I need to check some bits!

Anyone know how you calculate how much of your roof is flat in %? I can't get my head around this one..it's not flat! :p

You've just answered your own question.... You have said said it's not flat.
0% :confused::confused:

Soldato
There's no set time between exchange and completion dates so if a month suits all then sign up.

Can be same day exchange and completion or any amount of time between.

You could have say 4 weeks between exchange and completion or earlier by mutual agreement so if they find somewhere straight away you can bring it forward.

Yea we exchange in a few weeks but complete in October purely because we are relocating for work then and the developer was happy to wait on the basis of a 6 week exchange.

Cheers all

It's no big deal for me really at the end of the day they need to find somewhere to live too, i suppose i was hoping it could have been tied up before hand so its easy for all partys. Is what it is :) another month wont hurt

Associate
Finally managed to exchange yesterday and completing on Friday, it's been a long road!

Our first house fell through but managed to find another at the same price that was bigger, it's been a real pain trying to tie up exchange dates and it really came down to the wire last night

House is all boxed up ready for the removals guys on Friday

Man of Honour
Phoned solicitors again to get update, they still don't have the paperwork from sellers solicitors to start the searches.
This is dispite the stupid clause in, saying the developers want to complete within 6 weeks. i love how they are all, you need to get things sorted and if you don't you might forfeit your reservation, yet it's their side holding things up.

Soldato
We're expecting to exchange any day now with completion on the 18th, its been a very long and stressful five months and cant wait until its all over the whole process and experience is just so bad I'm really struggling to find the words to describe it in its entirety

Lots of packing to do this long weekend though and lots of distributing stuff to parents houses so there is less to do on the day

Soldato
Don't be daft :p

Who would you say was the best person to be knowledgable about the chain. Your solicitors or the estate agent? I assumed the EA but the wife thinks i should be chasing the solicitors up and she has much more experience in house purchases than i do!

Soldato
Chasing solicitors again this morning as I was told I should have had the report by end of this week, now being told its Tuesday and will be sent 1st class for me to read through and sign, once thats done and sent back should then get a better understanding of estimated exchange/completion date.

Soldato
Don't be daft :p

Who would you say was the best person to be knowledgable about the chain. Your solicitors or the estate agent? I assumed the EA but the wife thinks i should be chasing the solicitors up and she has much more experience in house purchases than i do!
Estate agents. It's their job to know whats going on down the chain and get everyone in line. I couldn't give a **** what's happening down the line, enough to worry about on my actual cases :p

Soldato
Exactly the wrong attitude that sadly many solicitor firms adopt.
Tell me what attitude I should have then. Can I contact the solicitors further along the chain other than on the opposite side of a transaction I deal with? No. Can I contact the estate agents further along the chain than on the transaction I deal with? No. Can I contact buyers/sellers other than my clients? No. It's totally out of my hands, so why concern myself with it?

That's rich coming from the guy who pulled out of a transaction because he didn't like the look of the neighbours.. Something he could have found out before wasting everyone's time...

Last edited:
Soldato
That was definately what i expected, that our solicitors would deal one up and one down but there's no reason for them to get involved in anyone elses transactions.

Having spoke to the estate agents it seems there are some leaseholder queries outstanding on the first house in the chain. Think our hope of a moving date of the 18th/25th is looking less likely unless things move quickly. Our sellers are then on holiday the first week of June so would be looking mid June then i imagine.

Soldato
Phoned solicitors again to get update, they still don't have the paperwork from sellers solicitors to start the searches.
This is dispite the stupid clause in, saying the developers want to complete within 6 weeks. i love how they are all, you need to get things sorted and if you don't you might forfeit your reservation, yet it's their side holding things up.

Same situation we're in. Although i do need to submit some further paperwork, but he seems happy to start when he gets paperwork from sellers solicitor.

Think i'll shoot the EA a message to ask if things are progressing, at least the hold-up isn't on our side.

Associate
Finally got some dates today

House shold be signed off by the 18th with the view to complete on or before 30th

I've stressed the fact I need it to happen before the 30th but you know. .

Soldato
Tell me what attitude I should have then. Can I contact the solicitors further along the chain other than on the opposite side of a transaction I deal with? No. Can I contact the estate agents further along the chain than on the transaction I deal with? No. Can I contact buyers/sellers other than my clients? No. It's totally out of my hands, so why concern myself with it?

That's rich coming from the guy who pulled out of a transaction because he didn't like the look of the neighbours.. Something he could have found out before wasting everyone's time...

Try as you might, you cant hide the fact that the majority of solicitors are useless. They dont care about their clients. Look at all the complaints on this thread about solicitors! Biggest damaged cog in the buy and sell machine!

Soldato
At the risk of defending solicitors (because we all should hate them shouldn't we), i think a big factor is that a lot of peoples expectations are unrealistic.

It's the biggest purchase of their lives in most cases so it's natural, that we get annoyed when we're not getting instant updates. I accept i'm probably a huge source of annoyance for my solicitor. But they are probably working on 100 different cases and a lot of the time will be waiting to receive information from third parties that's out of their control anyway yet they get the brunt of the abuse.

A lot of posts in here suggest that nothing would happen without constant badgering which i can be quite confident in saying won't actually be true and by constantly ringing the solicitors they're probably causing more hold ups.

Not to say some chasing isn't productive but i take a lot of posts in this thread with a truckload of salt.

Back
Top Bottom