The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
A lot of posts in here suggest that nothing would happen without constant badgering which i can be quite confident in saying won't actually be true and by constantly ringing the solicitors they're probably causing more hold ups.
Exactly. If I'm not being chased I spend all my time on ocuk or in the pub :p Oh wait, its just like any other job where I'm being paid to do something and if I didn't I'd be out of the job!

I admit, and have done many times in this thread, that some conveyancers are useless but it's certainly not the majority like this thread and many other on the Internet seem to suggest. But again, it's like anything else where people are way more vocal about negative opinions than positive.

I wish people could see just how much goes on in the background so they realise it isn't a case of half an hours work being spread over 8 weeks :rolleyes:

Soldato
Exactly. If I'm not being chased I spend all my time on ocuk or in the pub :p Oh wait, its just like any other job where I'm being paid to do something and if I didn't I'd be out of the job!

I admit, and have done many times in this thread, that some conveyancers are useless but it's certainly not the majority like this thread and many other on the Internet seem to suggest. But again, it's like anything else where people are way more vocal about negative opinions than positive.

I wish people could see just how much goes on in the background so they realise it isn't a case of half an hours work being spread over 8 weeks :rolleyes:

Everyone knows what goes on in the background. We all know the sequence of events etc. Solicitors are paid more than enough to sort things out smoothly but many fail at that. I have bought and sold over 30 years of my 53 yr life. Continually chasing the solicitor to do what he or she has been paid to do! The times that i have had to step in and get things sorted is redicculous.

You are bound to defend solicitors as you work in a firm.

The buying and selling system needs a kick up the aris!

Soldato
Never had an issue with my own solicitor when selling my house (just completed 2 weeks ago). They were very efficient and I didnt have to chase them at all... Likely be the same when my new one is finished in a few months

Soldato
Hefty stuff came though post today. All the solicitor reports and stuff for me to sign etc. Getting a bit closer. Assuming I have to take all this in? There is lots of paper. Once signed it's legally binding sale/purchase

Soldato
Hefty stuff came though post today. All the solicitor reports and stuff for me to sign etc. Getting a bit closer. Assuming I have to take all this in? There is lots of paper. Once signed it's legally binding sale/purchase
Reading and digesting it is probably for the best :)

It is amusing sending people 10 page report letters with 100-200 pages of enclosures and getting a call the next day to say "everything's fine when can we complete?". Like **** you've read any of it :o

It is not legally binding when you sign though. That just puts your solicitor in a position to exchange which is when it becomes binding. They shouldn't do this without taking your final authorisation on the day.

Soldato
Reading and digesting it is probably for the best :)

It is amusing sending people 10 page report letters with 100-200 pages of enclosures and getting a call the next day to say "everything's fine when can we complete?". Like **** you've read any of it :o

It is not legally binding when you sign though. That just puts your solicitor in a position to exchange which is when it becomes binding. They shouldn't do this without taking your final authorisation on the day.

Aye I will give it a go through :) can always ask solicitor anything I'm unsure about.

Soldato
Have given a preffered completion date of 30th may. There is one enquiry going on and is to do with the gas /boiler . It hasn't been serviced / or has no evidence / record of service since build by the looks . My conveyancy solicitor asked theirs to ask vendor if they could get it servicer before complete. Which could be £100 and have a cert with it

Problem is i could pay for a service. If there are repair bills they could come in at £150 upwards, for a new boiler system could be 1.5 to 2k! Apparently vendor said they were not willing to pay for a service. Solicitors have said I could push back and insist for a service and see what happens. So I have asked .

What's peoples thoughts on this ? We are testing the boiler out tomorrow when I go round to check a few things with my dad and his retired corgi engineer but didn't say that to solicitors as we can't use him for official service.

Soldato
Grey area. You're well within your rights to ask and they're well within their rights to refuse.

Usual "best case" is for buyer to pay for the service and if it comes back needing work the seller gets it done or reduces price accordingly.

Put it this way though, I advise every buyer to arrange a service/inspection if there hasn't been one in the last year but I didn't bother when I bought my place last year and the 14 year old boiler hadn't had a service in over 3 years :p

Soldato
Grey area. You're well within your rights to ask and they're well within their rights to refuse.

Usual "best case" is for buyer to pay for the service and if it comes back needing work the seller gets it done or reduces price accordingly.

Put it this way though, I advise every buyer to arrange a service/inspection if there hasn't been one in the last year but I didn't bother when I bought my place last year and the 14 year old boiler hadn't had a service in over 3 years :p

Is this something the solicitors check?

Our vendor tells us that they've had the boiler regularly serviced. Do the solicitors actually verify this? Or do i just take it on his word? Or do i request to actually see the service documents...

Soldato
Is this something the solicitors check?

Our vendor tells us that they've had the boiler regularly serviced. Do the solicitors actually verify this? Or do i just take it on his word? Or do i request to actually see the service documents...
Property Information Form has a question for the seller to state when it was last done. If they don't answer I'll raise it separately. If they give a date but not documentation I'll ask for proof. That's about as far as it goes, then it's on the buyer to decide if they want to take it further..

Soldato
Property Information Form has a question for the seller to state when it was last done. If they don't answer I'll raise it separately. If they give a date but not documentation I'll ask for proof. That's about as far as it goes, then it's on the buyer to decide if they want to take it further..

Ah that sounds perfect, so if they refuse to provide proof, then we can pay for a service and base the outcome on that (i.e. if the boiler is on its last legs).

Cheers!

Soldato
Im going over for a 45 minute visit tomorrow with my dad and a retired corgi engineer bloke so we will have a good inspection , but it's obviously not certified. So I will need to get it serviced and hope there is not any major issues .

Soldato
Im going over for a 45 minute visit tomorrow with my dad and a retired corgi engineer bloke so we will have a good inspection , but it's obviously not certified. So I will need to get it serviced and hope there is not any major issues .

I'm sure the corgi engineer will have a good idea of what to look out for with regards to a well functioning boiler.

And better to be cautious, than find out it breaks down shortly after moving in and you're lumped with a few £k bill for replacement.

Associate
My vendor couldn't find a gas installation certificate (installed around 5 years ago) so he just paid for a service. I didn't request him to so it depends who you're dealing with I suppose.
With my boiler I had the Corgi installation certificate from around 8 years ago but no service certificate (last serviced a few years ago but no proof.)
I told my solicitor that they were more than welcome to pay for a service/inspection but they haven't bothered or queried it and still set for exchanging next week.
So now any issues with it once completed are nothing to do with me as it's being passed on in good working order as far as I am aware.

Soldato
I'm sure the corgi engineer will have a good idea of what to look out for with regards to a well functioning boiler.

And better to be cautious, than find out it breaks down shortly after moving in and you're lumped with a few £k bill for replacement.

Went round there today. Although shown working. It does need a service , there is also abit of louder than expected noise from boiler / pilot unit in kitchen (he said fan) the control/programmer is also faulty so will need replacing. I've sent an email back to solicitor to push back on vendor to insist on getting this sorted before completion or at least a reimbursement so I can sort .

Other than that all fine for the moment. I went and closed my help to buy ISA today and had it transferred in to my Halifax current account for part of the deposit. The rest of it is in bonds.. also had some stuff signed and sent back to solicitors

Soldato
Went round there today. Although shown working. It does need a service , there is also abit of louder than expected noise from boiler / pilot unit in kitchen (he said fan) the control/programmer is also faulty so will need replacing. I've sent an email back to solicitor to push back on vendor to insist on getting this sorted before completion or at least a reimbursement so I can sort .

Other than that all fine for the moment. I went and closed my help to buy ISA today and had it transferred in to my Halifax current account for part of the deposit. The rest of it is in bonds.. also had some stuff signed and sent back to solicitors

Rather than pushing back on the vendor to replace, I'd rather reduce the offer and replace it yourself with something that you at least want. Otherwise the vendor might go for the cheapest thing they can find.

Soldato
Rather than pushing back on the vendor to replace, I'd rather reduce the offer and replace it yourself with something that you at least want. Otherwise the vendor might go for the cheapest thing they can find.

With regards to a service that will probably be £150ish. The programmer is outdated and faulty. The manufacturer has a newer model now which it could be replaced with. I'll have to see what the solicitor comes.back with..I don't.want to cause too much delay as if I miss end of month completion I'm going to have to pay potentially whole month's rent on where I am.now. or 2 weeks at least.

They have been given options of either they have it serviced.and programmer replaced or as mentioned reimburse any costs for me having it done.

I have already had to get the documents back to my solicitor , so iv.sent.them the email and will speak her on Monday to find out what the response was

Back
Top Bottom