The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
I'm thinking of pulling out after a full building survey :( Best offer I could get was 5k under asking and full survey has found signs of damp, 5-10k of roof repairs needed in next few years and not re-wired since 1980s. Both bathrooms need renovating as well as new hot water tank and the kitchen needs drastically modernising. Plus garage roof is asbestos. It's a lovely 1700s house though with lots of character so I guess some of these issues are inevitable. I fear the maintenance costs of such an old building might be too risky to take on though even with 30k aside for initial renovation.

Will feel super guilty if I do pull out as they've already had one fall through and maybe I should have thought of this sooner :( :(

Soldato
Think of yourself,

sounds selfish but you must in that situation mate, better to do it now than move in and 12 months time seriously regret it

Man of Honour
I'm thinking of pulling out after a full building survey :( Best offer I could get was 5k under asking and full survey has found signs of damp, 5-10k of roof repairs needed in next few years and not re-wired since 1980s. Both bathrooms need renovating as well as new hot water tank and the kitchen needs drastically modernising. Plus garage roof is asbestos. It's a lovely 1700s house though with lots of character so I guess some of these issues are inevitable. I fear the maintenance costs of such an old building might be too risky to take on though even with 30k aside for initial renovation.

Will feel super guilty if I do pull out as they've already had one fall through and maybe I should have thought of this sooner :( :(

Surely just go back to them and try to negotiate based on what you've found? If they say no then you can pull out guilt-free.

Soldato
I wonder why... This is why the England and Wales system sucks, think how many unfortunate different potential purchasers could end up shelling out for searches, survey and legal fees to end up withdrawing because the property is a wreck.
Why IS the onus on the purchaser and not the seller for these things? One of those 'thats just how it's done' things?

Soldato
@tntcoder

Thing is a lot of those things you must expect on a house that age. I don’t think you can try and re-negotiate because of the bathrooms as you’ve seen them and must’ve been aware of the fact they need changing.

Same with the kitchen. It’s been advertised and valued with an old kitchen. So again you must’ve known and been aware of the cost of that.

Also, as for the roof and damp. I’d get advise from someone who isn’t a surveyor. Our survey said the house were buying needed pretty much a whole new roof. I got a roofer I know to go round and he said that £1500 would keep the roof in a good condition for another 20 years.

Associate
We were hoping to conclude and move on 20th July, but now the buyer of our home has said the sale of their home has fallen through. She 100% still wants to buy our house as she is splitting up with her husband and is taking the 3 kids with her, and her parents and brother and sister all live in our estate. She is confident in getting another offer and has asked for another 2 weeks to be added to the entry dates.

SIGH!

Just when it was all going so well! At the moment I am struggling to believe it will all work out now, I'm almost resigned to it not happening. Although I have been told this is all a fairly normal occurrence when part of a chain! :(

Soldato
@tntcoder

Thing is a lot of those things you must expect on a house that age. I don’t think you can try and re-negotiate because of the bathrooms as you’ve seen them and must’ve been aware of the fact they need changing.

Same with the kitchen. It’s been advertised and valued with an old kitchen. So again you must’ve known and been aware of the cost of that.

Also, as for the roof and damp. I’d get advise from someone who isn’t a surveyor. Our survey said the house were buying needed pretty much a whole new roof. I got a roofer I know to go round and he said that £1500 would keep the roof in a good condition for another 20 years.

Yeh I kind of agree here. A 1700’s house will have many issues.

Asbestos garage roofs are exceptionally common. It’s not a big deal. Just get a professional to remove it. Don’t try yourself.

Kitchen and bathroom would obviously need changing. You can’t negotiate on that. It’s not fair and would have been obvious.

It would also be obvious a rewire is needed. One look at the board should have told you that.

Damp - very very very common. High ground levels, bridged damp proof courses, blocked or a lack of air bricks, moisture passing from solid floors to associated structural components, penetrating damp through roof, through faulty flashings, uncapped chimneys, sulphate attack, dry rot, wet rot..... I could go on.

All are possible in any house but especially one this old. In fact, I would have been beyond surprised if there had been none found. Can’t comment on the costs but you need a PCA recommended contractor to quote - not the surveyor or some local man in a van.

It’s scary but get some dialogue with your surveyor and just have a black and white conversation with him.

If you are going to negotiate then you will have more luck doing so on things you couldn’t have seen - not the obvious things. That will put the owners noses out of joint and quite rightly so.

Good luck mate

Sui

Sui

Soldato
What I thought was going to be a relatively simple purchase is taking ages after our sellers settled on a house where probate was still ongoing! I don’t know how it works, but I think it’s been granted just waiting for a name change on the title? Been waiting 2 weeks for that.

Seller is still wanting to complete in June but I’ll believe it when I see it!

Soldato
What I thought was going to be a relatively simple purchase is taking ages after our sellers settled on a house where probate was still ongoing! I don’t know how it works, but I think it’s been granted just waiting for a name change on the title? Been waiting 2 weeks for that.

Seller is still wanting to complete in June but I’ll believe it when I see it!

I have quite a lot of experience in these situations. Any time scale you are given, double it and then hope for the best. Provided everyone is patient it usually works out but always expect the worst!

Soldato
House built by developer a year ago

Still has nhbc guarentee and applince defect cover from developer until jan 2019

Would you even bother with a home buyers survey?

Soldato
I have a question.

We complete next Friday and today my old dear came round and said I should fill the holes where picture hooks etc are.

I wasn’t planning to do this

What do you guys do we don’t have loads but its just another faff to do

Associate
Three and a half months it recently took me to move. House buying and selling seems vastly long winded for the times we live in now.

Should be much faster across the board. How they used to do it 20 years ago with snail mail I've no idea lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom