The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
For paying the stamp duty and solicitors fees, about 4-5 years ago I had to go into a branch of Barclays to do it - although reading online now, it appears I can send anything up to £50K. How did everyone here do it (if you've bought recently)?

I bought about 18 months ago and transferred the different between the equity in our previous property and what was owed on the new one (stamp duty/deposit) online. It was about £65k - I bank with Santander.

Soldato
For paying the stamp duty and solicitors fees, about 4-5 years ago I had to go into a branch of Barclays to do it - although reading online now, it appears I can send anything up to £50K. How did everyone here do it (if you've bought recently)?

We had to transfer about £45k to the solicitor to cover our cash deposit, their fees and the stamp duty. My wife and I are with the same bank and they have a £25k/day/recipient limit for online transfers, so I did £25k and she did the remainder. Our solicitor would have added an additional processing fee for more than two transactions.

Soldato

I sent my deposit/solicitor fees through bank transfer - I didn't even bother using "CHAPS" (which is same day bank transfer), as I am with the same bank as my solicitor, so it went same day anyway!

Admittedly, nothing I ever sent was over £20K, so I don't know about limitations etc.

Soldato
We had to transfer about £45k to the solicitor to cover our cash deposit, their fees and the stamp duty. My wife and I are with the same bank and they have a £25k/day/recipient limit for online transfers, so I did £25k and she did the remainder. Our solicitor would have added an additional processing fee for more than two transactions.
Lloyds are the same. £25K online limit, but you can transfer up to million in branch. £20 CHAPS transfer fee.

Associate
Well after putting the house on the market last august and one collapsed chain we finally exchanged and will be moving into our new house on the 20th. Its definatley a relief to have it finally done i certainly have more grey hairs now than i did a year ago

Associate
Had a call from the solicitor this morning wanting the go ahead to exchange but had to say no until I found suitable insurance which is now in place, so first thing in the morning will give the go ahead.

Really getting serious now.

Soldato
Had a call from the solicitor this morning wanting the go ahead to exchange but had to say no until I found suitable insurance which is now in place, so first thing in the morning will give the go ahead.

I just hit buy now on a quote that I had saved when we done it last year, then forwarded the insurance documents while I was on the phone.

Associate
I just hit buy now on a quote that I had saved when we done it last year, then forwarded the insurance documents while I was on the phone.

The solicitor this morning did not even seem bothered about home insurance they just asked if I would verbally agree to exchange at which point I said no due to not having any.:eek:

Caporegime

We’ve just had a similar issue, move tomorrow and got an email this morning saying the buildings sum insurance didn’t cover the rebuild value. We’ve checked and it does but because we set it up weeks ago and didn’t move in within 14 days it was invalid apparently, all sorted with a quick phone call.

Soldato
Final 2 enquiries have been answered, now the solicitor has to put together the buyers report so that I can sign off for exchange!
My solicitor went on holiday at the start of this week for 2 weeks, she handed it to a colleague, now the colleague is on holiday!

Longing it out a little bit!

Soldato
Final 2 enquiries have been answered, now the solicitor has to put together the buyers report so that I can sign off for exchange!
My solicitor went on holiday at the start of this week for 2 weeks, she handed it to a colleague, now the colleague is on holiday!

Longing it out a little bit!

I would say 2 out of 5 times I emailed my solicitor, I got an auto-reply email back saying he was going to be out of the office for the next week :p

Not sure how they get things done, but they got it done :p

Back
Top Bottom