The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
waiting for valuation on the property from mortgage now, hoping it sits in the right bracket otherwise I'll have to re-negotiate or pull money out of somewhere to increase deposit.

problem with the market in my area is that we need to offer 5-10% + over asking to even have a chance to secure. Current offer was 8% over asking.

got a mortgage offer of 1.99% for 3 years fixed, seems affordable to us with a 10% max repayment so we're probably going to be overpaying once we settle in.

Soldato
We're still waiting for even a hint of exchange and completion on our house purchase. The vendor's solicitors are taking an age to get a deed of variation on a ground charge (property is freehold though). Everything is hinging on that at the moment. Been living with my partner's parents for over 5 months now.
Yeah a month ago I was told "we're just waiting on one enquiry", radio silence for weeks, no answers from solicitor... Estate agent eventually told me the vendor's solicitor is waiting for an agreement from mine.

Finally spoke to our solicitor Monday and she said she's waiting on a single point over who pays the indemnity insurance... Christ I'll go over there and put the money in your pocket if it gets you moving :rolleyes:

The solicitor seemed surprised when I said we're ready to go already so push for an exchange date, and perked up and said she'd try for next week. FFS.

I just can't get along with an arrangement that doesn't move forward unless you chase it constantly. It's not how anything should work and it's not how I'd want to treat anyone who needed something from me.

Soldato
Well - didn't think I'd be back into this thread for at least 5 to 10 years after our previous purchase in 2019.

But then a teeny baby showed up in the middle of 2021, and now we're leaving London and heading south east.

Put an offer in last week for a nice place in Polegate (East Sussex) and got gazumped in about 10 mins, missed loads of other stuff in the last week that got sold out from under us while waiting for viewing as well. But today's the day and we've had an offer accepted on a nice place - fingers crossed everything moves quite quickly as our buyers are super keen (made full asking price offer in our place the first day of viewings 2 weeks ago).

It's amazing how much the market has changed in light of Covid, our place had gone up by 80K since we purchased, and the stuff we've been trying to buy is up 30% at least on where things were pre pandemic - it's a crazy market right now!

Soldato
Hi everyone we're doing our inventory for our house we're selling, does anyone know what these two aerials are? I'm thinking a pre-digital TV (we don't get a TV picture through it) and radio aerial?

PXL-20220323-182153140.jpg

Soldato
Well technically if the digital TV transmissions are on a different frequency to the previous analogue frequencies, for optimal reception, you'll need a different aerial. Most of the aerials sold as 'digital' tv aerials are wider bandwidth than the old Group A,B,C/D etc ones.
Yes, wider bandwidth = better in this case I think. But digital channels and analogue occupy(ied) the same space, although I don't know if they shunted all of one or another category to the end of the spectrum. Hence wider bandwidth probably covering that. Most people with a decent aerial shouldn't have (had) to change anything.

It feels really weird talking about something that was very current but is also over, but also still in use :p

Soldato
Update, another property has come up for sale directly opposite this one I was buying. 25k cheaper than the original price I had agreed. Chain free.

I have a viewing tomorrow, would feel very sweet if we ended up going for this one and I can knock on his door and welcome myself to the neighbourhood :D
Update, did offer on this property but it went over asking price.

I did however then see another property, bid 10k below asking and its been accepted. Chain free so fingers crossed that I at least don't hit the issues I have in the past.

Third time lucky!?

Soldato
Update, did offer on this property but it went over asking price.

I did however then see another property, bid 10k below asking and its been accepted. Chain free so fingers crossed that I at least don't hit the issues I have in the past.

Third time lucky!?
Fingers crossed! Still hoping we're third time lucky... just heard from the vendor's solicitors that they're working on the deed of variation but it could "take some time". I think the chance of us getting into the new house over the Easter holidays has now gone, which means I'll basically be doing the move alone. Sigh.

Associate
Yeah a month ago I was told "we're just waiting on one enquiry", radio silence for weeks, no answers from solicitor... Estate agent eventually told me the vendor's solicitor is waiting for an agreement from mine.

Finally spoke to our solicitor Monday and she said she's waiting on a single point over who pays the indemnity insurance... Christ I'll go over there and put the money in your pocket if it gets you moving :rolleyes:

The solicitor seemed surprised when I said we're ready to go already so push for an exchange date, and perked up and said she'd try for next week. FFS.

I just can't get along with an arrangement that doesn't move forward unless you chase it constantly. It's not how anything should work and it's not how I'd want to treat anyone who needed something from me.

Every friend of mine has gone through the same process, if you don't chase your case is simply left behind. It's by far the most stressful thing.

Lack of information, the bs from every interested party (mostly the estate agents), the lies. It's the largest and most important purchase a person makes but the complete shambles one has to go through. My German partner was shocked at the entire thing.

Associate
Well - didn't think I'd be back into this thread for at least 5 to 10 years after our previous purchase in 2019.

But then a teeny baby showed up in the middle of 2021, and now we're leaving London and heading south east.

Put an offer in last week for a nice place in Polegate (East Sussex) and got gazumped in about 10 mins, missed loads of other stuff in the last week that got sold out from under us while waiting for viewing as well. But today's the day and we've had an offer accepted on a nice place - fingers crossed everything moves quite quickly as our buyers are super keen (made full asking price offer in our place the first day of viewings 2 weeks ago).

It's amazing how much the market has changed in light of Covid, our place had gone up by 80K since we purchased, and the stuff we've been trying to buy is up 30% at least on where things were pre pandemic - it's a crazy market right now!

It's disgusting is what it is. One wonder's if an entire generation will simply not move out and take the house once the parent's pass on. Though social care costs may prevent even that, eventually forcing sale.

Or if we'll shift to Indian style with multi-generational living under one roof. Won't happen overnight but how can prices keep increasing like this.. indefinitely.?

Soldato
Or if we'll shift to Indian style with multi-generational living under one roof. Won't happen overnight but how can prices keep increasing like this.. indefinitely.?
Tbh it is crazy we are so against this. The savings are immense, the benefits are just as immense. Think carers allowance, motability car entitlement, reduced council tax, reduced utilities etc...

Don
It's disgusting is what it is. One wonder's if an entire generation will simply not move out and take the house once the parent's pass on. Though social care costs may prevent even that, eventually forcing sale.

If the kids move into the house prior to needing care, the state cannot evict the live-in tenants to seize the assets to pay for care (not the same thing as signing the house over to the kids for deprevation of assets).

Associate
Tbh it is crazy we are so against this. The savings are immense, the benefits are just as immense. Think carers allowance, motability car entitlement, reduced council tax, reduced utilities etc...

I guess our culture is not like that, by and large we want to move out to experience things outside the influence or direct judgement of our family; drink, sex, parties...I can't think of anymore right now :cry: but trying to remember what I wanted to do when I was 16 onward.

Back
Top Bottom