The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
Our house is up for sale now. Two viewings requested within the first hour of it being live. Hopefully it's been priced fairly and appeals to lots of first-time buyers. Fair play to the estate agent, the advert looks great, IMO.
People on waiting lists, very little new homes coming up at the moment. The house we moved to in February this year, we got to view it the first week it came to market, we had alerts set on Rightmove

Last edited:
Soldato
We are in a frustrating position at the moment. We are in a very small chain. The buyers of our house currently don't have a chain and the house we are buying is also not in an ongoing chain. Simple you would think. All enquiries etc have been completed and the buyers of our house' solicitors recommended completion at the end of March back in February. Offers etc done start of January. We thought that was a little long but it would be fine, at that point we were not in a mega rush. Fast forward to now and we are still awaiting a completion date. Our solicitor has been trying to get in touch with the buyers solicitor (the buyers who we have contact with also doing the same) to find out they have gone on holiday and apologised for not letting anyone know. On their return they said they would have a completion date sorted and given to us on Thursday. Then on Thursday and Friday they went silent. Our buyers and our solicitor couldn't get in contact with the buyers solicitor. It is being escalated to the Senior Partners on Monday but it just stinks of incompetence.

Soldato
Our solicitor has been trying to get in touch with the buyers solicitor (the buyers who we have contact with also doing the same) to find out they have gone on holiday and apologised for not letting anyone know. On their return they said they would have a completion date sorted and given to us on Thursday. Then on Thursday and Friday they went silent. Our buyers and our solicitor couldn't get in contact with the buyers solicitor. It is being escalated to the Senior Partners on Monday but it just stinks of incompetence.
Sounds a lot like our experience. Our solicitor (assigned by big conveyancing firm) was regularly OOO, or just didn't reply. The week of planned exchange, we got to the point of phoning the firm and saying we'd stay on the phone while they went and spoke to the agent. We literally had to accuse them of lying about the progress. We completed after 4pm on the Thursday before Easter weekend! Planned day was 2 days prior (not the original planned date either).

Soldato
Sounds a lot like our experience. Our solicitor (assigned by big conveyancing firm) was regularly OOO, or just didn't reply. The week of planned exchange, we got to the point of phoning the firm and saying we'd stay on the phone while they went and spoke to the agent. We literally had to accuse them of lying about the progress. We completed after 4pm on the Thursday before Easter weekend! Planned day was 2 days prior (not the original planned date either).

What's become a problem for us is we assumed (wrongly obviously :D) that we would be in by now. The new house needs work doing to it so we have a builder on hand but he still doesn't have a start date. We pushed our kitchen back a month but that now has been delivered to the current house so I have to carefully move that along with everything else too. New sofa and chairs are due Friday as well which at the moment looks like it's coming to the current house too. Good job I have a garage!

Soldato
What's become a problem for us is we assumed (wrongly obviously :D) that we would be in by now. The new house needs work doing to it so we have a builder on hand but he still doesn't have a start date. We pushed our kitchen back a month but that now has been delivered to the current house so I have to carefully move that along with everything else too. New sofa and chairs are due Friday as well which at the moment looks like it's coming to the current house too. Good job I have a garage!
Absolute nightmare! I have lived this haha. I am right now sat in a van collecting the last garage load of stuff from my in-laws.

To load it into my own garage which is halfway converted. Big Tetris sessions in my near future :p

Soldato
We completed after 4pm on the Thursday before Easter weekend! Planned day was 2 days prior (not the original planned date either).
with delay had you had monies sitting in the solicitors account with them earning interest in the interim - was rather annoyed with my solicitor in this respect,
as I will be if they charge a £25 chaps transfer fee when like me sending money to them you can send smaller chunks <£250K for free.

[
16yr old - 5 bed detached with garage £270k
new - 3 bed semi no garage £265k

Guess which ones been sat on the market for the last 12 months, and the others all sold offplan!

New, new, shiny, shiny
obviously not Cambridgeshire prices, where buyers, too, are now weary of cowboy developers - Bovis ....
]

Associate
Seconds out, round 2.

We've put down a reservation fee on a completed new build, now waiting for our buyers to organize a survey, if they get hung up on 2% asbestos in the artex then :mad: :mad: :mad:

It will be interesting to see what (if anything) their survey picks up compared to the previous one, a lot will depend on what level of survey they go for.

Associate
Our deadline for bids passed at 9am this morning, when solicitors get info from all about their buying situation we will have to decide.

Associate
If a surveyor visited (and provided they havent made a massive screw up) then they have probably saved you from a very silly decision??
It was a physical valuation so yes. Sadly, the vendors won't drop down, and we are not prepared to over pay either. They only purchased it brand new a year ago, spent 90k on internals and wanted an upgrade (celebrity couple).

Last edited:
Soldato
Shame. Were the internal upgrades something you'd ever do/value?

After ripping out this 1930s, to pay what I've done pennies on the pound, now seems like a bargain :cry:

Associate
Shame. Were the internal upgrades something you'd ever do/value?

After ripping out this 1930s, to pay what I've done pennies on the pound, now seems like a bargain :cry:
Not really. We’re talking about bespoke wardrobes in each bedroom, the 5th bedroom has been converted into a £17k bespoke walk-in dressing room - we’d prefer the actual bedroom to be useable as a bedroom and would have to remove most if not all the dressing room

£15k on window dressings, £6k timber paneling. Some of the colours are not to our liking either but that’s just paint.

Back
Top Bottom