The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Did you get enough feedback to know if it is currently shared ownership, with, hidden, seller obligation to redeem a particular sum to other owner.

I'd think that would be in the deeds.. Which you can see online for a very small fee... You can see the owners names and when they purchased it... So presumably there would be two names on the deeds?

Associate
Seconds out, round 2.

We've put down a reservation fee on a completed new build, now waiting for our buyers to organize a survey, if they get hung up on 2% asbestos in the artex then :mad: :mad: :mad:

It will be interesting to see what (if anything) their survey picks up compared to the previous one, a lot will depend on what level of survey they go for.

Our buyer has finally organised the surveys.

Mortgage survey this Tuesday, should take 20 mins.
Second survey the week after, been told it’ll take 2 to 3 hours, presume it’ll be a full structural job.

Been to see the new build 3 times now and have probably got a bit too much emotionally attached to it, put a deposit down on a garden studio, planning the garden landscaping, decorating etc.

Soldato
Can anyone shed some light on this issue please..

Recently completed on a 2nd property and got the keys 5 weeks ago. My council tax has come through and I’ve been charged a 100% empty property premium, can I fight this?

Man of Honour
can I fight this?
yes and no

Acquiring an empty property you intend to live in​

If you have bought a property that has already been empty for two years or more (one year in Scotland and Wales) and you do not immediately occupy it, you may have to pay the premium. Liability for the premium depends on how long the property has been empty: a change in ownership does not ‘reset the clock’. As soon as you move into the property, the premium will cease to apply.

Liability for a council tax premium will not appear on the normal legal searches that are conducted when purchasing a property.

sauce: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/why-am-i-paying-an-empty-homes-premium-on-my-council-tax/

Soldato
That's mental... How can you be held liable for council tax from before you owned the property?

Or if you can you'd think that's something the conveyencer would pick up on so you can have the cost knocked off the purchase price?

Man of Honour
That's mental... How can you be held liable for council tax from before you owned the property?
Or if you can you'd think that's something the conveyencer would pick up on so you can have the cost knocked off the purchase price?

you're not liable for the council tax due before you moved in
the property attracts a surcharge as it's been vacant for over 2 years...as soon as you move in and tell the council that the property is no longer vacant, the surcharge is no longer applied and you pay the normal rate
see my previous post literally two posts above yours

Last edited:
Soldato
That's kinda weird TBH. You get charged if it's unfurnished, but not if it's either furnished or uninhabitable?
Yeah, the owners we bought it from had kept the property empty for over 12 months while it was up for sale, this allowed the council to add the 100% empty property premium onto the council tax bill. Now I’m the new owner and it’s not in a habitable condition they’ve removed the charge. Rightly so the *****.

Soldato
After completion have folks (payed?) for a watch on the land registry database for any scams where people can sell a house under your feet ?
I guess mortgage companies may naturally have them

Soldato
that's interesting so you can't have authenticated owner exclusive rights to the alerts / see if someone else has an alert on the property;
could use it to set up an alert on properties you might be interested in buying (gazumping !) though.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
that's interesting so you can't have authenticated owner exclusive rights to the alerts / see if someone else has an alert on the property;
could use it to set up an alert on properties you might be interested in buying (gazumping !) though.

How would gazumping work? By the time the alert comes in it would be too late for that no?

Soldato
conveyancer initiates the search ...& when mine did that there had been no contract exchange ,
3rd party says something happening there are they selling ? and visits owner/mails property.

I had a number of removal flyers at previous place, even though it was a private sale ... not sure how/if they knew

Back
Top Bottom