The new animated image thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
.webm when?

Hopefully soon, don't see why it couldn't be added. Though I suppose it would depend on whether reddit has much webm creation going on because it's probably where most people are getting their gifs. Not that it really matters it's not like gif is going anywhere either way.

Already been asked - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26136958&postcount=933 Let's hope it's sooner rather than later, especially seeing as this a forum that's mainly centred around the latest tech. In my opinion, it would be totally remiss of the admin. of such a site to not embrace the advancement of animated images.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hopefully soon, don't see why it couldn't be added. Though I suppose it would depend on whether reddit has much webm creation going on because it's probably where most people are getting their gifs. Not that it really matters it's not like gif is going anywhere either way.

If there's one thing this forum could do with more of it's reddit content because that is just quality effort posting which never gets old.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
popcorn.gif

Anything posted anywhere will be found on Reddit.

And likewise stuff posted on reddit will originate from elsewhere that's less popular (say a gaming forum or other forum). Let's not forget reddit also has a large number of karma whoring people who simply repost stuff for karma. Every few weeks/months the same gifs will repeat themselves as well as other images and oh look, 1000, 2000, 3000 karma for the Op. Some will even repost other redditor's content without giving credit.

I really don't understand the viewpoint or type of comment where people go "that was posted on reddit 3 days ago!!11" - So what?

Last edited:
Soldato
God I hope not, may as well just fill the thread with youtube videos, *.webm is already ruining image boards across the net don't bring that junk here.

at the moment i'm pretty sure it's against the rules to post animated images outside of the animated images thread - it wouldn't make any difference at all; except making the animated images thread about 100x better. Peoples habits won't change by allowing the format, animated images will just be better.

B@

Soldato
it wouldn't make any difference at all

It would mean having to click play and load each animated image separately, kind of defeats the entire point of having a single thread for animated images. The only improvement it would bring is making the page more 56k friendly, but it would be tedious/annoying for anybody not trapped in the 1990's.

Soldato
It would mean having to click play and load each animated image separately, kind of defeats the entire point of having a single thread for animated images. The only improvement it would bring is making the page more 56k friendly, but it would be tedious/annoying for anybody not trapped in the 1990's.

michael-scott-noa6efh.gif

noooo.gif

253.gif

B@

Last edited:
Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;26144257 said:
If there's one thing this forum could do with more of it's reddit content because that is just quality effort posting which never gets old.
I didn't mean to imply that.

Anything posted anywhere will be found on Reddit.
I really don't understand the viewpoint or type of comment where people go "that was posted on reddit 3 days ago!!11" - So what?
Well reddit certainly isn't the original location of a lot of content, what I mean was it's where a lot of people get their images. Really it shouldn't factor into webm implementation it was just an idea.

It's funny how you associate gifs with the modern web and webm is some kind of 90s relic :D

WebM Cons:
Might have to click to start
Some mobile browsers won't support them.
WebM Pros:
Everything else

GIF Cons:
Filesize, colours, resolution, fps
GIF Pros:
Compatibility with mobile browsers.
Play automatically.

YUcxBs4.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
It's funny how you associate gifs with the modern web and webm is some kid of 90s relic :D

WebM Cons:
Might have to click to start but it buffers automatically so there's no waiting
Some mobile browsers won't support them.
WebM Pros:
Everything else

GIF Cons:
Filesize, colours, resolution, fps
GIF Pros:
Compatibility with mobile browsers.
Play automatically.

PLUS webm buffers automatically, there's no waiting to load. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

It'd just be *click* 60fps full res and colour embedded video plays immediately in your browser. Infact it wouldn't even be that, you can just hover:

Go and have a look at the "worksafe gif" section on 4chan, click on Settings -> Images and Media -> put a tick in Image Hover. You literally hover over a webm image and it opens and plays immediately - it's great! See if you can find a 60fps one, really is impressive. You can slow it to half speed as well, play it full screen, save snapshots; it really is top quality stuff.

B@

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom