The new animated image thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
WebM Cons:
Might have to click to start
Some mobile browsers won't support them.
WebM Pros:
Everything else

WebM support: http://caniuse.com/webm

seems that only Firefox, Chrome and Opera support WebM.
Which means that on desktop, if wouldn't work for IE and Safari users either. Not exactly widespread support as yet (and probably not likely to expand since Microsoft and Apple want to support H.264 as the de-facto video format).

As previously mentioned by someone, might as well just have youtube embeds

back on topic...
i_believe_i_can_fly-22423.gif

Soldato
WebM support: http://caniuse.com/webm

seems that only Firefox, Chrome and Opera support WebM.
Which means that on desktop, if wouldn't work for IE and Safari users either. Not exactly widespread support as yet (and probably not likely to expand since Microsoft and Apple want to support H.264 as the de-facto video format).

As previously mentioned by someone, might as well just have youtube embeds
Poster in not reading his own source shocker. Also Firefox doesn't support H264 by default either.

Note: Will work in IE9+ and Safari/MacOSX provided the user has the WebM codecs installed. Partial support indicates that at least one codec is supported but not all.

bIHuaWW.gif

Last edited:
Associate
Poster in not reading his own source shocker.

Or... "Poster read his own source and thinks that native support by the browser is what matters and not on requiring the user to install a plug in to get it to work" shocker
shockedgif.gif

Obviously I can't speak for people on here, but I doubt many people I know would bother installing a separate codec in order to get Webm to work - given that Youtube, etc will serve/play the video in whatever format is best suited to the user viewing it, there isn't really any need for most people to install the codec (would people on here bother installing the coded purely so they could view Webm embeds on this thread?)

Firefox's support of H264 doesn't really matter, was only stating why MS and Apple probably won't add native Webm support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom