The new Arsenal Club Thread - *No Spoilers & Read OP Before Posting*

Don
  1. This thread is for tiny bits of news that have no other thread to go in and aren't big enough to justify their own thread - renaming a stand after an ex player, a small injury update, a contract renewal etc. It is not for discussing anything and everything related to Arsenal. Anything that is likely to attract more than a handful of replies should go in it's own thread - the discussion about Mesut Ozil here for example.
  2. No Spoilers! All chat relating to matches, before, during and after the match has taken place is to go in the dedicated spoilers threads we have. No exceptions!
  3. Transfer talk is to go in the dedicated transfer threads - Small rumours or signings of youth players outside the transfer window and when the transfer threads aren't open are fine but as mentioned in rule 1, if it's likely to attact lots of replies then start a new thread.
  4. As per forum rules, keep it civil. Supporters of any team are welcome to post in all club threads. If you have a problem with a post then report it. Trolling or accusations of trolling will not be tolerated.

This thread will be locked until the day after Arsenal's first league game just to give our resident Arsenal supporters plenty of time to familiarise themselves with the rules because the strike system from the last thread is still going to remain in place. For every rule break you will receive a strike and the punishments for each strike are as follows:

Strike 1 - 7 day thread ban
Strike 2 - 30 day thread ban and 1 week forum suspension
Strike 3 - Permanent thread ban and 2 week forum suspension

If somebody else chooses to ignore the rules and starts discussing transfers or the weekends match in here, that is not a free pass for you to follow suit. Any rule breaks will result in a strike no matter whether you started the conversation or simply replied.

Finally, those of you that were permanently banned from the last thread will begin on strike 2 so please take particular care because one rule break and you'll be permenantly banned from the thread again and receive a 2 week suspension.

Don
OP
I mentioned this last year - it always makes me laugh when a club appoints a scout on the back of them discovering star players, only for them to just sign the same players again. Arsenal effectively spent £100m (including the value of the Mikhi/Sanchez swap) signing players he scouted for Dortmund - they could have done that without appointing him.

I'm pretty sure he brought his database of players with him from Dortmund but which hidden gem did Arsenal sign in the 2/3 transfer windows he was at the club? Guendouzi was a player Emery knew from PSG and Torreira would have hardly been unknown to any PL club or particularly cheap. Maybe he's just not been listened to but I'm not sure why any Arsenal supporter would care that he's leaving, he's contributed nothing in the time he's been at the club.

Don
OP
Don’t ever expect Liverpool fans to give credit to other teams and their players. it’s not in their DNA.
The irony of that coming from somebody that claimed Wilshere was one of Arsenal's best players, right up until the day he left when according to you he was useless. Maybe it's not in your DNA to give credit to West Ham for signing him.

And I gave credit. I've said Torriera doesn't look a bad player but you're off your rocker if you think Arsenal discovered him and nobody else knew of him. Every major club in Europe have a scouting network that can tell you all about 9 year olds in Peru, let alone full internationals playing in one of the major European leagues. For various reasons Arsenal seemingly had a free run at him and in Liverpool's case I strongly suspect it was because it didn't make sense for them to spend £30m on a player that would be 4 choice in our holding midfield role. While Torreira looks fairly decent for Arsenal, he's far from the world beater some of your fans have made him out to be - he was absolutely garbage at Anfield last month.

Don
OP
Bro, too much salt is bad for the heart.

Ecstatic at the news. He is gonna be so special.

did he actually have any offers from Liverpool or Chelsea?
Given where Liverpool are right now, I'm anything but salty :p

Although it was a light hearted dig, I was also semi serious. I've no idea if Liverpool were in for him, there were only very loose links, but hypothetically had Liverpool been in for him, he'd not have played regularly. At this stage of his career it probably makes sense for him to stay at Arsenal, with a manager that will start him most weeks but equally, given the state Arsenal are in and Saka's bargaining position, it would be fairly logical for him/his agent to negotiate some sort of buyout clause in his deal too. For example, if Arsenal fail to qualify for the 2022/23 CL, he can join a CL club for x amount.

Don
OP
There's a lot of guess work in there rob. Nobody knows, yet, what interest rate they will be paying or over what period the money will be repaid but it certainly won't save Arsenal £20m per year. SwissRamble done a thread on twitter and his best guess, assuming a much lower interest rate & the debt being refinanced over a much longer term, would save Arsenal approx £5m in interest and £5m in repayments

There is the potential for a nasty surprise here too. Kroenke borrowed £500m to buyout Usmanov, which is due to be repaid next month. SwissRamble speculates that this £200m odd could be rolled into a much larger refinance along with the other £500m. Will Arsenal then just pay the interest on the £200m stadium debt or will they end up paying for the pleasure of being owned by Kroenke too?

Don
OP
I don’t know who Swiss Ramble is, but this is the official Arsenal supporters trust take on things

https://www.arsenaltrust.org/feed/afc-finances/2020/AST-Debt-Redemption-KSE
He's a financial analyst that covers football.

But even using your own link, the figures are essentially the same however the AST have worded their "£20m saving" point poorly. There will be no £20m saving. Arsenal currently pay a total of £20m in interest (£11m pa) and repayments (£9m pa). If you read point 7, that £20m will be reduced to between £5m and £10m per year, depending on the interest rate and whether the new agreement is a short-term interest only deal or a longer term deal with repayments. A short term interest only deal will cost Arsenal approx £5m per year (SwissRamble mentioned that interest payments would be approx £5m too), meaning Arsenal are saving £15m per year but they are not actually paying down their debt as they were before. Or a longer term repayment deal will save Arsenal approx £10m, which is what SwissRamble is speculating will happen, with the debt being paid off.

At the bottom of the AST link it also brings up the £500m Kroenke borrowed to buyout Usmanov too and the big question as to whether Arsenal end up having to pay this.

Don
OP
Right on the money. Also if you have mental health issues or previously had past issues is a live YouTube feed really the place to be ?
Him getting kicked off is the best thing that could happen to him. He's a total mess and has been for a good couple of years and yet AFTV keep putting him out on display like some kind of circus act for people to ridicule because it gets them views.

Don
OP
And Arsenal paying £45m on a player is the reason why Ozil was right to refuse the paycut. It was reported in the Athletic at the time of the 50 odd redundancies that a number of the squad weren't happy as the paycut they agreed to was meant to prevent job loses.

Don
OP
I saw the news earlier :( I really hope it wasn't suicide but I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out to be the case. Iinm he previously spoke about attempting to kill himself on twitter. After he left AFTV I posted a before and after picture of him and you could see the guy falling apart in front of your eyes over the past few years. It would be a step too far to blame AFTV for this but the way Robbie wheeled him out as part of his freak show to be mocked and ridiculed certainly wouldn't have helped his mental health.

Don
OP
Referring to an asian person as a DVD is racist :confused: It wasn't the first time he'd made a remark like that either with other comments being brought up after Robbie & Claude done their bs excuse video.

On the point of Robbie doing what he done to protect profits, absolutely he did but he also initially stood by Claude to protect his profits. When it first happened (and his previous comments) he done nothing about it - Claude was one of the main attractions for AFTV and he didn't give a **** about people saying racially offensive things on his channel as long as he kept getting views. The moment it backfired and he risked losing sponsors he threw him overboard.

Don
OP
Nor did I. Just had to look it up. I'm not sure its racist is it? Just a really bad stereotype.
It is a stereotype, a racially offensive stereotype and it wasn't the first time he used a racially offensive stereotype either. The fact that he and AFTV tried to lie about what was actually said to begin with tells you they both knew it was racially offensive too.
Exactly. A quiet word would have done. There was no need for him to be treated the way he was, especially when it’s well known he has mental health problems.
He shouldn't have been used as a figure of ridicule by AFTV to begin with.
Doesn't make him a racist, just because he wasn't a woke ********* who gets offended by everything, people used to be tolerant, now ironically woke ********** are the least tolerant of people
If you continually say racially offensive things you're more likely to be racist than somebody that doesn't.

Don
OP
No it wasn't, typical woke warrior view of "if your views not the same as mine I'll attempt to shut it down" :rolleyes:
I'm sure had he not said something obviously racist (again) and then didn't try to lie about what he said when he was called out about it, he wouldn't have been "shut down".

Don
OP
Gonna be honest I'm uneducated, I thought the 'DVD' thing was to do with selling DVDs to asian fan base as he is one of few big Asian players in the PL. (And that was somehow very offensive)

I'm pretty dumb
The term refers to Asian people supposedly selling DVD's in East London. Claude commented on Son's substitution by saying "DVD's going off" (or words to that effect) but when it was brought up after the game he and Robbie tried to pretend he was joking about Spurs releasing a DVD to mark the game.

IINM there was a fairly high profile incident when a West Ham (?) fan racially abused Son in the exact same way the other year too.

Back
Top Bottom