The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
What was the reason for choosing the 85mm f/1.8?

Price mainly but I did a lot of research, and this seemed to be the best bang for your buck.

I did not want any of the 'adapted' lens becauce they have just bolted in a MC adaptor into the base of the lens (Sigma Ect) and made them to big for my liking. A lot of the reason for buying this is to see if i am going to swap for Nikon to Sony.

I use an 85mm a lot, so seemed the sensible choose to start with.

edit: Yeah Ray, thats what i said....almost ;) Sony GM 1.4 ...one day :D

Caporegime
It's a fantastic lens for the money. My favourite of my 7 native lens for the a7iii. Although recently the GM 100-400 just blow me away every time I use it......but it should for what it cost

Caporegime
1.8. I’m not as rich as Raymond so had to get the value for money lens :p

In no order

Sony 35mm f2.8
Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
Sony 90mm macro f2.8
Sony 85mm f1.8
Sony 16-35mm f4
Sony 100-400 GM
Sony 55mm f1.8

Oops I appear to now have 8 lens :o

It seems I went for few but faster lenses :p

Soldato
To me that seems like a decent combo, nice light(ish) lens for general purpose/walkabout, and then something with slightly more reach and better suited for dedicated portrait work, assuming that's what you are into.
Not into portrait work but not ruling it out. :)

Finally found somewhere selling the tamron lens!

Caporegime
It seems I went for few but faster lenses :p

Yeah, that’s what went through my head with most buys. As much as I liked the faster aperture or GM versions of the lens I bought, I looked at reviews, saw with some there was very little in it performance wise, the f1.4 lens were just bigger and heavier and for a lot of them I could get two lens for the price of one eg got the 85mm f1.8 and 55mm f1.8 for less money than the 85mm f1.4 would have cost me. Together these two lens probably weigh the same as that one lens as well lol

If I was a pro or earned money from my pictures then yes I probably would have gone all faster lens and GM. Equally I might have gone more GM if I had the A7R body for the resolution. As it is with 24MP all the lens I bought can resolve larger than that so are well suited. Therefore some of the advantage of the GM is wiped out unless you are using the R body.

Soldato
It's a great combo, it would be stupid to only have an 85mm when you want to do landscapes.

The tamron will stay on the camera 90% of the time I'd imagine. Start off with that and see if you feel you need the extra lens . I wish I did!

Associate
Came home from work to a few more things

Formatt hitech firecrest filter
Nisi V5 Pro
Spyder 5 pro
Peak design slide
canon 24-105 & 7D (to test the AF on the 150-600 vs the R3)
Sel14TC to try and stop me buying me a 100-400
also a small rig L bracket and intous pro that I forgot to add in :(

2prfiad.jpg

Soldato
Still no luck finding a lens, been to 6 shops today and no one had the Sony 85mm 1.8 or the tamron 28-75 2.8.

If I order online from HK, they are having a holiday until Monday which means I'll be waiting until Tuesday just for shipping.

Can't be so hard surely to find somewhere in stock, just shows how much high street shops are becoming less popular.

Back
Top Bottom