The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Love the look of those lenses on that contax camera.

Btw mrk, so whats the verdict on that sigma 85 F1.4? I'm VERY tempted to pull the trigger on the nikon one, especially if its nearly as good (or better) than the nikon 1.4G, which is twice the price...

Soldato
Would love some wide open samples of anything really. Animal photos would be great (pets) focused on the eyes pref if you can, otherwise I'd also love to see some portraits. I've never done portrait photography before so want to get into it, as I always seem to lean towards macro, wildlife or nature photography 99% of the time so fancy something new!

Soldato
Have to confess........ a Contax collector, just love the build and feel of the kit.... note this is a 10 year old DSLR design, was the first FF DSLR ever launched and "only" 6meg.

Also have 17-35, F2.8 which is HUGE with a 95mm filter thread... a 24-85 and a 70-200, plus the N1 film body.

Picture was a quick grab, as the last of the natural light came through the window.... no correction in PS, just crop and resize for web.... 100mm Macro Lens at f2.8/wide open. ISO100 1/250, hand held.

100F28.jpg

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
That Contax looks awesome!

Been wanting a new tripod head for a while now, was torn between the higher end 3-way head from RedSnapper at £25 and the lower end ball head at £26, so after a quick discussion with mrk I settled for RSH-12 Ball head at £60 instead :D

hxGbP.jpg

Just done a shoot with it and the 50/1.4 and I'm very pleased with the results for a first time using both of them, will post up once all video is edited :)

Man of Honour
:D
Have you got the head screwed on proper there? I can see the thread!

James J, here are a few more samples from the 85mm, I did play around today but forgot until browsing the SD card a moment ago:

5D3_0141-Edit.jpg

5D3_0181-Edit.jpg

5D3_0182-Edit.jpg

5D3_0186-Edit.jpg

Those^ are unprocessed, just the purple fringe removed with one mouse wheel roll up on the lens colour slider (value: 5).

The below is a portrait which has been processed.

Dad by Robbie Khan, on Flickr

And 100% of the detail area:
100pmoustache.jpg

Colours and contrast are rendered nicer than the Sigma 50mm 1.4 I reckon, there's a different look to the images. This is definitely "the" portrait lens to have IMO!

Last edited:
Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Definitely looking like a good buy :)

Well it won't go on any more despite my best efforts! Will compare to yours on the 3rd, in the mean time have just lowered the center pole so the head rests on the legs too for support.

Back
Top Bottom