The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Yeah you don't fit much into the focused area at that distance. Luckily you're usually trying to photograph something small if you need to get that close!

You can get around that a little by taking multiple shots at different focus points (thin slices effectively) and then blending them together later to provide one in focus shot but it can be tricky (especially on living subjects!).

Sometimes you can use the narrow DOF rather than try to find ways around it:

Shallow Fly by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

But mostly you have to pick an angle that will let you effectively dissect your subject with a thin sliver that's in focus. You just need to get the important bits in that bit that's in focus :)

Soldato
Was that shot handheld Phal?

Yeah, the Canon 100mm F2.8L has pretty good IS but in this case it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

The fly was on the top of a long wooden gate. I just rested the camera on the fence stop so it was pretty stable :)

Without IS it could be a bit tricky to get sharp shots at a decent ISO whilst keeping the aperture small enough. It's worth having a play about with it in the garden or somewhere with decent light to see what you can get away with.

Man of Honour
The Tamron 15-30 close focus distance is 9cm from all the mucking about I've done last night. Tamron state 28cm in the specs. Likewise the Sigma 35mm is specced at 28cm too but it is able to focus at 16cm.

With this in mind I figured I'd do a quick test (and because I wanted pics of the cpl filter for MM anyway :p) to see detail and bokeh difference at f2.8 between both lenses.

Sharpness wise was much of a muchness, Tamron say the lens delivers prime class sharpness, I found it only a hair less sharp than the Sigma 35 1.4 @ 2.8, though the 9cm close focus distance allows for slightly increased magnification even with the extra 5mm compensating on the Sigma.

Tamron @ 30mm, f2.8:
hoya_30mm.jpg

Sigma 35mm @ 2.8:
hoya_35mm.jpg

A bit more vignette out of the box on the Tamron at 30mm, none on the Sigma at 2.8. LR lens profile corrects that on the Tamron 100%, I didn't apply any though, just straight export.

I have not yet seen any CA or fringing on the Tamron.

Impressed!

Last edited:

oio

oio

Associate
The Tamron 15-30 close focus distance is 9cm from all the mucking about I've done last night. Tamron state 28cm in the specs. Likewise the Sigma 35mm is specced at 28cm too but it is able to focus at 16cm.

Not to open a similar can of worms to the one above with lens lengths, buuuut (*digs out "Someone on the Internet is Wrong!" hat and matching cape for added embarrassment if I'm mistaken*)..... I think their measurement for min focus distance is from the image plane to the subject. The Sigma 35 that I've tried seems be roughly around the 30cm mark.

Soldato
You also need to check the focus breathing for a lens.
I.e. The Nikon 70-200 F2.8 at 200mm is actually only 135mm at headshot range.

Associate
Picked this up for £50 earlier from the local second hand shop, been thinking about getting one for a while, but could never justify the price from the local camera shop

DSC00012.jpg

Hopefully will help when trying to remember where certain pictures were taken

Caporegime

With this in mind I figured I'd do a quick test (and because I wanted pics of the cpl filter for MM anyway :p) to see detail and bokeh difference at f2.8 between both lenses.

Sharpness wise was much of a muchness, Tamron say the lens delivers prime class sharpness, I found it only a hair less sharp than the Sigma 35 1.4 @ 2.8, though the 9cm close focus distance allows for slightly increased magnification even with the extra 5mm compensating on the Sigma.

A bit more vignette out of the box on the Tamron at 30mm, none on the Sigma at 2.8. LR lens profile corrects that on the Tamron 100%, I didn't apply any though, just straight export.

I have not yet seen any CA or fringing on the Tamron.

Impressed!

Focus distance is from the sensor, not from the front of the lens.

Soldato
My Sigma 150-600 Contemporary arrived today after a mere 48hrs after ordering from China. Probably the fastest DHL experience I've ever had, it only landed at 7AM today, but was sent quickly to the local depot and was placed on a late delivery van at 12:30PM, and by 2:30PM I had it! Love it when the expected delivery date on the tracking shifts forward by a whole day. :D

AwvmVcE.jpg

First thoughts: It's a beast. I could only play with it after getting home from work and doing a BBQ. By the time I got it out the box light was starting to fade. I took it for a quick spin and I am very impressed so far.

Firstly, it looks like I have a very good copy, it is sharp, especially so when stopped down to F/8. Focus speed is extremely good and fast, it has no problem keeping up with tracking fast moving birds, actually very impressed by the focus speed, it's a lot of glass to shift and it does it effortlessly. Build quality while not up there with the Sport model is very good also and the lens hood is decent.

Waited in the garden for something interesting to appear and was greeted by the local robin patrolling its territory.

600mm f/10 ISO1000 (around 50% crop, subject is approx 9 metres away)

Robin - First Sigma 150-600 C Shot by Steve Rix, on Flickr

Tiny subject needed some heavy cropping and the light was fading and had to bump to a not ideal ISO1000, but I am very happy with the level of detail and sharpness of the above. Sigma have a winner here, price/performance ratio is incredible.

Going to take it out properly to a reserve on Friday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom