• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The next best thing for GPU performance

Soldato
OP updated May 2019

I'm looking to make a purchase this summer or autumn and I've been doing a lot of research. I'm finding it difficult to fix on what to go for because of fanboy entrenchment and people maybe not understanding that there's no point buying something that doesn't meet the needs of the intended purpose. There's also this kind of gamble going on where people are purchasing tech based on what they think the future will need?

I have no preference for Intel or AMD.

Here's my criteria:
  • I want to push the latest GPU to the highest FPS possible at 1440p.
  • I want to push multiple GPU's in this way (maybe SLI will improve etc) SLI is dead!
  • I'm happy to sell on after a year if something better comes along - so longevity isn't a big factor.
  • My preference is micro ATX/ITX without losing too much CPU performance (overclocking etc).
  • Budget is not an issue
  • This build is for pure GPU performance, I'm not interested in how fast it can encode an episode of Game of Thrones - intended use is gaming only.
  • Current CPU is 2700x.
So where would you invest?

Last edited:
Soldato
You're probably going to be interested in X299 (Skylake IPC, 6+ cores with SMT, higher clocks than Ryzen, more PCIe lanes than Ryzen or Z270, money not an issue, etc.).

Soldato
I'm happy to sell on after a year if something better comes along - so longevity isn't a big factor.

I have little brand preference here, but throughout the countless gaming reviews I do find almost all games to run best with the 7700K @ 5.2GHz at the moment, with a few exceptions. I would recommend waiting for the Kaby Lake-X 4C8T and see the overclocking performance, provided that it does better overclocking than Skylake-X 6C12T.

I'm not bashing AMD here as I also used to be an AMD user and it's good to see competition, but recent reviews suggest Ryzens may stutter a bit more in games.

If things ever change in one year and 4C8T becomes thread-bound, you can always sell and move on to Skylake-X 6C12T or 8C16T.

Soldato
Something I really should've mentioned: Current CPU's are 6700k and 5930k so I need to see an improvement over them.
Well you can expect a very small clock boost over both of those with X299, and a small IPC boost over the 5930K. Aside from more cores you're not going to get much.

Soldato
OP
Well you can expect a very small clock boost over both of those with X299, and a small IPC boost over the 5930K. Aside from more cores you're not going to get much.

Yes, that may very well be it. I'm saying longevity isn't important but it may be forced upon me as there isn't much improvement on the way.

That's kind of why I'm asking the question here, for pure engine to GPU performance I'm not convinced that there's much on the way. The 6700k is two years old now, and the 5930k is three years old. With all the talk of resurgence and competition and cores etc.. I'm looking at what's there for a GPU powerhouse and it's not improving much from what I can see?

Associate
With all the talk of resurgence and competition and cores etc.. I'm looking at what's there for a GPU powerhouse and it's not improving much from what I can see?

There really is next to nothing exciting around for gamers CPU wise, you can keep looking all you want but youll be dissapointed...

I'm looking to upgrade my 4770k, but as a gamer nothing I've seen from Intel x299, or AMD zen makes me want to part with a grand in cash!

Soldato
Not much interesting coming until Ice Lake or Zen 2 now, not even worth changing your system if you have anything fairly current.

I bet my 5820k could go strong another few years easily. Would be nice to have a good option before then though.

Soldato
Soldato
Surely the performance is going to be game dependent, as it has been shown that a Ryzen 7 can beat a 7700k in certain games (a few but they exist). If you want to tailor it to your needs I would recommend posting what games you play and what games you plan on getting in future. I'm assuming that you turn everything off while gaming?

Soldato
There really is next to nothing exciting around for gamers CPU wise, you can keep looking all you want but youll be dissapointed...

I'm looking to upgrade my 4770k, but as a gamer nothing I've seen from Intel x299, or AMD zen makes me want to part with a grand in cash!
This is a good thing though, it means you can put money into GPU upgrades rather than needing a whole new rig every 2-3 years to keep up. The only thing missing has been price reduction because of a lack of competition. I'm sure Intel and AMD will step up their game over the next couple of years but I still am not convinced there's going to be any large surge in single-threaded CPU performance in that time.

Sadly the down side is the lack of competition in high end GPUs. :p

Back
Top Bottom