The next Labour leader thread

Soldato
I love the way the Guardian have Corbyn on their front page at the moment waving but the way they've framed it it looks like he is doing a Nazi salute and then underneath they have another article with Antisemitism in bold smack bang under the picture. They really do take any cheap shot they can.

Most newspapers are pretty terrible, and the Guardian is one of them.

You do realise the Guardian loves Corbyn, right? Sounds like you need to pick up the Morning Star or Pravda, comrades.

Soldato
It's not that the Guardian is totally anti-Corbyn, it's the fact that Milne and Jezza took a stance and an approach to the media which left a vacuum. Eventually that vacuum was filled by increasingly critical voices. They know this is damaging now. Hard to say whether Labour can recover the support of left leaning commentators going forward from such a shambolic start. To a large extent, this was a failure of strategy, which, combined with our rather passionate and political editorial boards, has created a perfect storm for them, even though Jezza and Momentum had the element of surprise following the former's surprise election in the first instance.

Soldato
Name us a chancellor in the last 30years who has

Well McDonnell frightens the life out of me if I'm being honest. I don't think the older voter, or anyone who has worked hard and saved will get a look in, in fact quite the opposite.

I feel a cold chill go through me every time I see the sorts of people milling round Corbyn or McDonnell. Sadly this is a party that no longer speaks my language.

The Labour party have always been a disparate group of peoples. However, what I see and hear now is the 'self-entitled, benefits Britain brigade. They put 'nowt in' but want everything out - a party of envy.

Soldato
It's not that the Guardian is totally anti-Corbyn, it's the fact that Milne and Jezza took a stance and an approach to the media which left a vacuum. Eventually that vacuum was filled by increasingly critical voices. They know this is damaging now. Hard to say whether Labour can recover the support of left leaning commentators going forward from such a shambolic start. To a large extent, this was a failure of strategy, which, combined with our rather passionate and political editorial boards, has created a perfect storm for them, even though Jezza and Momentum had the element of surprise following the former's surprise election in the first instance.

They are now bypassing the MSM and appealing to voters direct. I believe Ken Loach has directed an hour long Jezza YouTube video in an attempt to get his message across direct to the electorate. One can only hope or not, that it's an improvement on a book of Corbyn's favourite jokes that has gone to print.

Soldato
Reducing immigration for the sake of reducing immigration is both impossible and regressive, and fuels some damaging and hateful ideologies. The Labour party will not and should not endorse such a position. What it will do, however, is deal with the economic and job security effects of having disproportionate levels of immigration to areas ill equipped to deal with it because of government cuts.

Soldato
They are now bypassing the MSM and appealing to voters direct. I believe Ken Loach has directed an hour long Jezza YouTube video in an attempt to get his message across direct to the electorate. One can only hope or not, that it's an improvement on a book of Corbyn's favourite jokes that has gone to print.

Even Owen Jones wouldn't call this a winner. Doing work online is great, but that's not the lot of it. Traditional media still enjoys far greater audiences which Labour needs to reach.

Reducing immigration for the sake of reducing immigration is both impossible and regressive, and fuels some damaging and hateful ideologies. The Labour party will not and should not endorse such a position. What it will do, however, is deal with the economic and job security effects of having disproportionate levels of immigration to areas ill equipped to deal with it because of government cuts.

On that I'm in complete agreement. Labour can take sensible control of this debate by focusing on the real, not imaginary, numbers of people required in our economy and to support our public services, vibrant education sector, etc. Even if the eventual system proposed after Brexit isn't the free movement we now know, it must be driven by evidence and not a desire to scapegoat and punish people for political gain and chase UKIP to the bottom of the barrel of rotten apples. As above, what makes this debate now very hard is rather shocking media policy now and in the past. We've externalised our problems for far too long and prejudice these days drives clicks.

Last edited:
Soldato

Hence that's one of the reasons they are doomed to perpetual opposition or oblivion. You ignore the electorate at your peril, brexit has spoken on this issue loud and clear.

Soldato

Ignoring immigration and denigrating anyone who has tbe temerity to suggest uncontrolled mass immigration isn't brilliant is what fuels hateful ideologies.

As a young man in the 90s it felt that racism was a dead ideology and as soon as all the old people died with their old ideas it would no longer be a problem. The shameful neglect of the New Labour Government fanned the embers and added fuel to the fire.

Managed immigration should be the goal of any responsible Government, maybe one day we'll get one.

Soldato
I struggle to think of one going back further to be fair. The state has consistently failed to drive improvements through investment for as long as it has been trying.

I don't think any Chancellor has done a "sterling" job (pun intended). The last generation of those people went in the 50's and 60's.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37526324?SThisFB

When people say labour are too left wing under Corbyn, look at the good it does. It forces the Tories to take a more centrist stance to take the fight to labour. The Tories understand the threat a left wing Labour pose to their party. Why can't the red Tories and the Blairites see that a centrist Labour just allows the Tories to slide further to the right. People keep calling for Labour to mount an effective opposition. That will only happen if it's a left wing opposition, not a Blairite centrist opposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom