The Nokia E71 thread

Associate
Hoping my one is just a bad example. Getting it replaced tomorrow, I have had it for 3 weeks, kept it in a PDair flip case with a screen protector on and the screen has filled with dust. Quite a lot as well really which kinda shocked me.

Soldato
I have just signed up to an E71 on Three's £20 tariff. 200mins and unlimited text and net.

Seems a good deal to me. Also, picked up just under £50 quidco cash back.

I am moving from a N78. On the N78 I changed the product code and then did a software update to remove all the network branding.

Is the sim free software much of an improvment over Three's?

Where can I find E71 product codes?

Cheers.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
I have just signed up to an E71 on Three's £20 tariff. 200mins and unlimited text and net.

Seems a good deal to me. Also, picked up just under £50 quidco cash back.

I am moving from a N78. On the N78 I changed the product code and then did a software update to remove all the network branding.

Is the sim free software much of an improvment over Three's?

Where can I find E71 product codes?

Cheers.

i don't know about the 3 firmware on the E71, but 3-branded E61's are horrific, as are t-mobile branded E71s. the Default nokia firmware is much better, and updated muce more frequently.

just google "E71 product code" and you ought to find a list - they were definitely available 3 or 4 months ago ;)

Associate
Just got a great upgrade deal from o2. Getting rid of my prehistoric D900 and managed to get a free E71, 600 mins, 1000 texts and unlimited net from o2 for £20 a month :). Any recommended software for it?

Soldato
Hi again guys,

Currently I have a Vodafone £15 per month usb modem with 3gb.

I use no more than 500mb just doing the odd driver download or remote desktop when out of my office.

My friend is looking to get a Vodafone data stick and I now have this Three tariff with unlimited net.

Can I use my E71 as a normal modem (or buy a Three modem and swap the sim over) and transfer the Vodafone contract over to my friend?

Do Three bar internet access/modem or such?

Can I do the above via WiFi or Bluetooth? I thought I heard of an app for E71 that makes it behave as a wireless router!?

Soldato
Looking good, I've just upgraded my 3 contract to this for £20 a month with unlimited txts, internet, 3 to 3 calls and 200 minutes. Seemed like a very good deal to me, was paying £18 a month for a lot less until now.

Should be picking it up tonight, anything I should do straigtaway, like good apps etc?

Also interested in the answer to Tesla's questions above.

Soldato
I have read that people are being charged for some sort of email access on the three "unlimited internet" tariff. I am trying to find out more but the three online chat "help" is pretty poor. Just keep telling me to call there 0870 number!

EDIT- Reading the small print it says the unlimited internet is actually: "Internet Max Add-on"

Internet Max Add-on

Gives you 1GB which is the equivalent of about 100,000 mobile web pages - so it’s pretty much unlimited surfing. You also get unlimited Email on 3 (personal and work email accounts) for free with this Add-on.

Email on 3
What is Email on 3?

Email on 3 pushes the emails from your PC email accounts to the inbox on your mobile. Whether you use Google Mail, Yahoo! Mail, Windows Live Hotmail, Microsoft Outlook, or your very own email service, you can send and receive emails on your mobile. And if you’ve got a compatible mobile you can download attachments and synchronise your work calendar and contacts too.
How does Email on 3 work?
Email on 3 is already installed on most of our mobiles and you can find it in Favourites (known as Launcher or QuickLinks on some mobiles). If you can't see it here, go to Planet 3, Services, Email & Social Networks. Click on Email on 3 and follow the simple instructions to download it and set up your email accounts. You can add as many work or personal email accounts as you like (depending on the memory available on your mobile). Unfortunately Email on 3 isn’t available if you’re on Pay As You Go, but we’re working hard to get it to you.
Using Email on 3 on your phone

To open email press the top left key (Favourites) and scroll down to Email on 3. Check out the demo below.

On some mobiles you can't open Email on 3 from Favourites. You’ll need to go your main menu where the application can be found in the following:

Nokia: go to ‘My Own’, ‘Installations’ or ‘Applications’
Sony Ericsson: go to ‘Entertainment’, then ‘Applications’
Samsung: go to ‘Applications’ or ‘Entertainment’, then ‘Games & More’
LG: go to ‘Games & Apps’, then ‘My Games & Apps’.

What Email on 3 costs

If you’ve got an Internet 10 or Internet Max Add-on you can already use Email on 3 for free. Internet 10 gives you unlimited personal Email on 3 on top of the 10MB internet allowance. And Internet Max gives you unlimited personal and work Email on 3 on top of the 1GB allowance.

If you haven’t got an Internet Add-on, you can still try Email on 3 for nothing with our free two-week trial. Then you can see exactly what you’re missing. After the trial, you’ll need an Internet Add-on to keep using Email on 3.

The post I read on someone being charged was a month old so perhaps they have changed the offer?

Last edited:
Soldato
I got an E71 on an upgrade a week or so ago. Intended to sell it straight away but was actually very impressed with the build quality, speed and it was a lot thinner than I thought it would be. The wife loved it so she has kept it. If I didnt buy a G1 a little while ago I would had probably kept it myself.

Soldato
Not bad deal I suppose, 3 are doing an awesome offer I got mine on atm.

Been playing about with this for a day or so, it's fantastic, can't fault the device at all! Set up WeFi and Opera, skype etc and working a charm, synced to my machine no probs over bluetooth, picking up emails from gmail, hotmail and my uni account. Does anyone know how to make the mail notification on the home screen work? It says mine's not set up even though I have set several mailboxes up.

Anyone know how to get iPlayer on this fairly easily? i read the V1.0 can do it but does it still work? Also any mirrors?

Soldato
The 3 deal with 200 minutes isn't enough for me and I don't use more than 400 texts a month so my edal works better than the 3 for me.

Re: iplayer... http://www.s60mobile.co.uk/2009/04/09/bbc-iplayer-on-the-e71-inc-downloads/

Although I obviously havn't tried this.

Aye, I decided to take the 200 mins as most people I call also are on skype or 3, so was a no brainer for me.

Thanks for the link on iplayer, saw that earlier in fact but didn't fancy faffing so much. Hopefully they'll bring out a client that supports the phone soon. It's not a massive deal!

To Tesla, if you want to use the phone as a modem, you can, it works over bluetooth, or you can use a program called JoikuSpot to make it into a wireless access point, google it and see the details on the website. Not sure if that is exactly what you're looking for though.

Soldato
Can I ask what cases you're all using for this (if any)?

I've seen the book/flip type, but they're too big, anything like a decent leather pouch for these? I've seen a few on the net, can anyone recommend anything?

Back
Top Bottom