The Nokia E71 thread

Soldato
The supplied one is ok, but I'd prefer something that covers it almost completely since I'm worried about dust in the screen and such. In my pocket it gets dusty. I had a velcro pouch on my previous phone and it looks new still!

Associate
Hi,
I am considering replacing my G1 for this phone. I had a look, the cheapest I found it was online £269.99 delivered sim free. Are there any better deals around without going to online auctions?
Thanks

Associate
Ok, had the phone for 2 weeks now and two things I'd like to know are...

Is there a way to have the web running in the background instead of closing it down to do anything else?

And what are peoples opinions on the best threaded messaging app?

Thanks

Soldato
To open other programs press the home key when in a prog and it will go to the home screen with the other program still running. To change back, HOLD the home key down and you'll get a choice of running apps or home screen to switch to.

Lots of people like nimbuzz for messaging I think, though I just have skype and the windows live progs on there, I don't use live much though, it's probably rubbish!

Associate
I got an E71 on an upgrade a week or so ago. Intended to sell it straight away but was actually very impressed with the build quality, speed and it was a lot thinner than I thought it would be. The wife loved it so she has kept it. If I didnt buy a G1 a little while ago I would had probably kept it myself.

I have the G1, had it since January. It is a decent phone and the software update last week has helped but I got fed up with having to get the keyboard out and I didn't find using the touch screen much better.

I am expecting my sim free E71 tomorrow, best deal I got was £257. I can get minimum £115 for my G1 so its not too bad.

Soldato
Bump

Got one of these coming tommorowm on Three £20 P.M with £50 Cashback 200 Mins/Unlimited Net/Text which is perfect really as I text more than I speak and the internet is really appealing to me.

Looking forward to having a mess about with it

Associate
Anyone else having problems with the PC suite.

I was using it no problems this afternoon, now when i plug it in, it picks it up in the suite that its connected none of the powerbar or anything is displaying though. but then just disconnects asoon as i try anything.

Soldato
Finding it great so far, bar a couple of issues: When I take the phone out and about in my pocket (in its case) it seems to randomly restart, which I realise the next time I look at it. It also had a problem when charging today; the screen went dark as if in standby mode, but, although the backlight came on, there was no display with any keys I pressed (i.e. unlock combination).

Do you think it's a firmware issue (3 custom firmware), or is it likely to be more serious? Also, can I safely put standard firmware on here without any issues? (including with 3 in terms of repairs etc).

Ta

Soldato
Yeah I might end up doing that too if it persists, bit of a bummer now it's all set up for various encrypted hotspots and loaded with all the decent software. I wonder if there's a way of backing the settings up?

Associate
Upgrade due tommorow, o2 don't do most of the other phones I'm after but they have said they can do the E71, just gotta haggle over tariffs tommorow.

What's the real life battery life like on these, with wifi etc on and off?

The 5800 I have atm does surprisingly well 8 days+ with a couple of hours phonecalls as long as I have it on 2G + wifi scanning/bluetooth off, but if I switch these on it lasts 3-4days.

Associate
Can I ask what cases you're all using for this (if any)?

I've seen the book/flip type, but they're too big, anything like a decent leather pouch for these? I've seen a few on the net, can anyone recommend anything?

Dunno if you've got one sorted now as I've replied a bit late, but the Zagg screen and body covers are amazing. It's not a case, so you'll still prob want to keep the supplied E71 case, but in terms of preventing scratches you can't beat the Zagg protectors - apparently the military use the same stuff to protect their helicopter blades, and it's stopped my phone getting any scratches on it since Sept/Oct (without using any case during that time) which isn't bad at all!

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, you're not late, i'm still using the normal case, and because i'm having other issues with the handset I haven't invested in one yet. I just looked at the ZAGG cover for the E71 and it looks good. As long as it can keep the dust out where it matters that'd be good, I'd probably use it with the normal case too anyway.

I take it if you buy direct they ship to the UK, or did you get it from a UK distributor?

Associate
Well I just ordered mine so should be here by wednesday I hope.

Thanks to an orange deal on mobiles.co.uk I got o2 to immediatly offer me 600mins 1000texts and unlimited land line calls for £25 per month plus the hanset for free :)

Associate
Thanks for the reply, you're not late, i'm still using the normal case, and because i'm having other issues with the handset I haven't invested in one yet. I just looked at the ZAGG cover for the E71 and it looks good. As long as it can keep the dust out where it matters that'd be good, I'd probably use it with the normal case too anyway.

I take it if you buy direct they ship to the UK, or did you get it from a UK distributor?
They ship to the UK so I just ordered from their main website :) I've bought one for my phone, and another for a friends phone I have been that impressed with it. Slightly more effort required to get them on in the first place (and you might get a few micro-air-bubbles under the film, but these disappear after a few weeks). Can't say I've had a problem with dust, but I recon that's more down to the design of the phone than the Zagg covers. They don't get dust under them tho if that's what you're worried about.

Oh and if you do go for one, do a search on some coupon sites as they usually have like a 20% discount code or something along those lines, so you basically get free shipping :)

Back
Top Bottom