The **Now Drinking** Thread

Associate
A bottle of Aecht Schlenkeria Rauchbier. A smoked marzen beer, wow the smell is so smoky! Not the best marzen i've had though. Got some flydog for later though.

*edit* In fact every sip smells like smoked bacon/sausages.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had a telephone interview for a new job. Was meant to be 10 to 15 minutes but just got off the phone after 50.

Needed a drink.

Luckily found a bottle of the rather nice Luksusowa Vodka vodka in a local shop for £15, so having a glass with some tonic.

Soldato
Cracking choice Raikiri, a great beer.

I'm just having a Tennent's. But tomorrow I'm going to a Flying Dog and Brewdog Beer Tasting which should be good!

Last edited:
Soldato
Prepare for a lot of text. Last night I went to a Brewdog and Flying Dog tasting. The following isn't really tasting notes, just my thoughts on the beer. We had:

Brewdog's International Arms Race. 7.5%.
Brewdog's 77 Oak Aged Lager. 7.7%.
Brewdog's AB:10. 11.5%.
Brewdog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin. 32%.
Flying Dog's International Arms Race. 7.5%.
Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter. 9.2%.
Flying Dog's Underdog Atlantic Lager. 4.7%.
Flying Dog's Snakedog IPA. 7.1%.

There was one other Brewdog beer but I can't remember it (the 4 pints of Guinness pre tasting, and bottle of wine post tasting may have had something to do with that...).

The International Arms Race was a competition posed by Flying Dog to Brewdog to create an IPA without the use of hops. The two beers have been released in the bars throughout last week, and people have secretly voted on them. Overall, Flying Dog won. However, I thought the Brewdog example was better with it being more robust and had more to it. Though the nose on Flying Dog's was better. Overall, the room agreed with me.

The 77 Oak Aged is their common 77 Lager (soon to be discontinued) put in oak barrels for a while. I've never been a fan of barrel aged beers, and this did nothing to convince me that they are worth the price usually demanded.

AB10. Imperial Brown Ale (whatever that is) aged in Spanish red wine barrels. This was good, not amazing but very good. It was pretty port like, and would go very well with cheese after dinner. You wouldn't nip down the local for a pint of it though.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin. The second time I've had this (well, third if you count the time I drank it straight from the FV) and it's still very good. Again, you wouldn't have a pint of it (it is 32%). Best treated like a whisky and just sip it. It was served slightly chilled, and it was good. I warmed my second glass (my girlfriend hated it so gave me her glass) of it up and it did change the taste and lost something. But, a very good whiseer (see what I did there?)

As mentioned, Flying Dog's IAR wasn't great. It just lacked something. Heavy on mint though which gave it an interesting taste but not particular great. I'd have a half though.

Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter. AMAZING. I love Porter, and this satisfied me and more. Truly a phenomenal beer that I'd happily drink all day. I urge you all to try this. Complex, deep, but refreshing and not smoky in the slightest. I believe it has 80 IBUs as well which is an awful lot for a beer like this. WOW.

Flying Dog's Atlantic Lager was a good example of how lager should taste. Refreshing, hoppy, moreish and tasty. It's not going to ever be the greatest beer ever (could a lager ever be?) but it was a very good beer and fantastic lager. Again, I'd urge you to try it. Good on a summers day I imagine. Equally good on a rainy Autumn night in a Glasgow basement...

Flying Dog's Snakedog IPA was a good IPA but not nearly hoppy enough for me. Closer to a lager'y Deuchers than Brewdog's Punk IPA.

Obviously, the Porter was my favourite of the night. As usual, the place doing the tastings offer 10% off all bottles tried. Did I buy any? No. Did any of my party? No. One guy umh'ed and ahh'ed about a bottle of Penguin but at £40 or so for 330ml it's just far too rich. The Porter was £4+ which again is steep for a beer, but probably worth it. The night cost £8, and whilst you don't get a bottle each the measures were generous enough to get a good taste and experience of the beer. Well worth it. Next tasting for me is on the 14th Sept which is 10 beers for £10. Was hoping to go to a Gin tasting on the 21st but they've just sold out so will go to one on the 12th October. £15, six gins. Anyone want to come?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom