The **Now Drinking** Thread

Associate
Can anyone recommend a IPA/ Ale for a young 'un who has no experience in drinking ales really? Something tasty that won't blow my head off and that is possibly sold at Tesco's/ASDA :p Enjoy reading the threads though, some lovely looking beers from the regular posters. :)

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a IPA/ Ale for a young 'un who has no experience in drinking ales really? Something tasty that won't blow my head off and that is possibly sold at Tesco's/ASDA :p Enjoy reading the threads though, some lovely looking beers from the regular posters. :)

In the same boat myself man, wouldnt mind trying some ale instead of super fizzy lagers. Went to my local morrisons to pick up some Iron Maiden Trooper ale, frakkers didn't have it in stock.

Drinking some Brasserie stubbys at the mo

Associate

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is probably your best start in terms of pale ale. Goose Island is decent as well.

On the lager front Budweiser Budvar (Czech not american) is great and Brooklyn Lager (although I see this as more of an ale then lager).

Duvel if you want to get into Belgian beers. Just be wary of the ABV of it thou.

Associate

In the same boat myself man, wouldnt mind trying some ale instead of super fizzy lagers. Went to my local morrisons to pick up some Iron Maiden Trooper ale, frakkers didn't have it in stock.

Drinking some Brasserie stubbys at the mo

As said, start with Sierra Nevada. If you want a little stronger the Sierra Torpedo is a nice double IPA and can be had from Tesco too.

Some great advice for you, the best beers in the world at the moment are IPAs and most are coming from USA, mainly California. Just look for this and you'll be good.

Some other great brewers but mostly not available in supermarkets:

Stone
Golden Road
Green Flash
Flying Dog
Maui
Kona
Thornbridge (available in Waitrose)
Odell
Magic Rock
Kernel
Russian River (Only available on west coast of USA though)

Be sure to come back with your verdict :)

Last edited:
Soldato
425296_10151729195020864_1909797044_n.jpg

NOM NOM NOM

Soldato

Well i've spotted 4 for 3 in Tesco, and they have included Sierra Nevada so ill try that out!

A few good calls made already - my first suggestion would have been the Sierra Nevada that's already been mentioned. I'd also recommend Brewdog's Punk IPA and 5AM Saint as good starter ales.

Not that I'm condoning underage drinking here - just remember to drink sensibly young padawan :p

And on topic - Just having a bottle of Fraoch heather ale :)

Associate
A few good calls made already - my first suggestion would have been the Sierra Nevada that's already been mentioned. I'd also recommend Brewdog's Punk IPA and 5AM Saint as good starter ales.

Not that I'm condoning underage drinking here - just remember to drink sensibly young padawan :p

Haha I will, just planning a camping trip with mates, so stocking up on beers and BBQ food is an essential really :) Thanks for the suggestions will pick up 1 or 2 of them to try!

Associate

I'd have thought Punk IPA is a little too potent and hoppy for a beginner :) I haven't tried the 5am Saint but I think that is weaker right?

One of my favourite 'supermarket' beers is Thornbridge Jaipur, but I know if that's what I had started on, I wouldn't have stuck to IPAs.

Back
Top Bottom