The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Went with a group of friends to see Coco at the cinema today. Really good film, would recommend seeing it. We went for dinner afterwards to a nice Chinese place called Dragon-I

RsXkuY.jpg

Aromatic duck and pancakes to start off with. Lovely :)

ntInP7.jpg

Main was their version of special fried rice. Chicken, beef and shrimp in a BBQ style sauce, with a fried egg on top. Really enjoyed this :)

99ZTQ5.jpg

And for dessert an old favourite, hot chocolate fudge cake. Prefer it with whipped cream, but it was still very nice :)

Man of Honour
dont you just love it when you experience something new at a restaurant, and it's easy to replicate at home. New weekly meal added.
it was lamb breast with braised cabbage in a chicken and butter "sauce" just reduced stock really.

made it tonight added some celery(needed longer) and broccoli(not sure it works, florets where overcooked, stem still hard) in as well and omg it's amazing.
slow roasted lamb breast for 5 hours at 150, then bumped the heat upto 190. Added a baby cabbage sliced in half and put that back in oven for 15 mins just to add a bit of colour with the fat. Then made some chicken stock from cubes but double strength, poured that in with some celery and broccoli. Turned everything apart from the meat occasionally or about 45mins. Took it all out and put on a plate, then put the stock on the hob and reduced by about half then stirred in a knob of butter.

who knew braised cabbage would taste so good, but it does.
I also remember having braised leeks as a child, so the rest of lamb breast will be going with that later in the week.

also as I use egg yolk powder for mayonnaise these days, I tried making custard with it, worked ok. need more egg yolk though to thicken it up a bit more. So convenient compared to even liquid egg yolks in a carton.

Associate
What's in the broth? apart from Konbu ?

The broth is is a mixture of approx. 6 parts dashi - in this case prepared from konbu and bonito flakes simmered in hot water - to 1 part kaeshi which is a 4 part mix of soy sauce to 1 part mirin and some sugar - then a couple of extra tablespoons of mirin added to the broth

The recipe is from Japanese Soul Cooking which is a great book for Japanese street foods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom