The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Of course, I'll send it first class recorded.

And thanks, the chicken was marinaded in greek yoghurt, lemon juice, salt, pepper, turmeric, fenugreek, corriander, cumin, chilli flakes and garlic. Closest I've managed to get to my local kebab place at home :p

Soldato
^ That wrap looks fantastic! :)

XXK8EH.jpg

Scran's been closed the last week or so while the owners were on holiday, but its back open again this weekend. No weekend special this week, so I finally got the chance to order of their regular menu. I had poached eggs and Stornoway black pudding on toasted sourghdough, with hollandaise sauce and bacon crumb. I also got some potato scones with it. Fan-freaking-tastic! This is their best selling dish and its not hard to see why. Its just so GOOD!

4HA0vs.jpg

I was going to go to Ramen Dayo today on Queen Street. But I found out on the way to Glasgow that its not there anymore. A new Japanese restaurant called Mikaku was opening today in its place. I could have just gone there to eat, but I had already set my sights on Ramen Dayo, so I hopped on the subway to the one at Ashton Lane. I had the Tonkotsu ramen with added egg and also some added spicy ground pork, which is hiding underneath the noodles in this pic. I'm a ramen novice, so I have no real basis for comparison, but I enoyed this. The broth had good flavour, tons better than the near flavourless stuff Wagamama served. They were a bit stingy with the pork belly, so I'm glad I got the ground pork as well to bulk it up. And they also charge £2 extra for the egg. Bit greedy, but at least it was a good egg.

yw1ozW.jpg

I assume this is what a good ramen egg is meant to look like? Brown/grey on the outside and very dark yolk on the inside. I remember the one from Wagamama was just a normal boiled egg. Nothing special about it at all.

Caporegime
Yup, that egg looks marinated, for at least 24hrs, i'd put it closer to 36-48hrs. The yoke turns jelly like after 24hrs or so, that one is probably way over what I would marinate it to and ever seen it anywhere! Either that, or their Mirin/Soy ration marinade is way towards the soy side.

Different ramen shop serves different kind of pork, including how thick, some are VERY thick, like an inch, I've seen some that are like 3 inches thick in Japan. Ichiran (a famous ramen chain out of Fukuoka) has very thinly sliced pork.

That broth though is not a colour i expect from a Tonkotsu ramen, when you boil pork bone for like 12-18 hours what you get isn't a clear broth, it's cloudy, always. Due to all the fats and bone marrow broken down and mixed in with the water. I suspect that is made from a dashi stock base and more in keeping of a Shoyu ramen. It's more like a Pork belly ramen but in a Shoyu broth.

This is a bowl of ichiran ramen, they only do Tonkotsu.

AEZ5y07.jpg

This is a bowl of Tonkotsu at Fukuoka, at the "ramen stadium", basically a food court just of ramen shops.

N4nZbQf.jpg

This is my favourite ramen shop from the whole trip in Tokyo, it is a tonkotsu ramen with a twist, i think it's more than just pork bone broth, it has chicken bone I think...

GzyAnYy.jpg

This below is a Shoyu ramen. Soy sauce. In Kyoto.

8FM2jsI.jpg

Soldato
The broth in your Tonkotsu pics looks way better than what I got served. Oh well. There are other places I can Glasgow I can go to try. Maybe one of them will hit closer to the mark.

Caporegime
The broth in your Tonkotsu pics looks way better than what I got served. Oh well. There are other places I can Glasgow I can go to try. Maybe one of them will hit closer to the mark.

If it’s nice then it’s fine but it’s a bit strange to call that Tonkotsu ramen, it clearly isn’t. It may be pork belly ramen (or shoyu ramen with pork), that it is, but not tonkotsu.

At least you get a choice, all I got is Wagamama near me and beyond that is one in Cheltenham where last time I made a review on tripadvisor commenting on how it was salty with no depth of flavour the owner sent me a PM and then asking for a phone call on how to make it better!

I’ve never been back since.

Soldato
Chicken karaage, tebasaki wings, togarashi fries, bonito fries, takoyaki, gyoza dumplings. I was tempted to get some kaarage or dumplings, but I'm glad I didn't. I barely finished the ramen before starting to feel full up. With sides no way I would have finished it.

Back
Top Bottom