The **Now Eating** Thread

Caporegime
It looks 10 times better than Wagamama's efforts. Honestly, if you had told us that was from a restaurant I would have believed it. The presentation of the dish is excellent :)

It’s missing the Nori but I didn’t have any to hand, but I think Wagamama over complicate things like they put on a ton of random greens and whatnot, their recipe is a bit too westernised for my liking. They also don’t come with an egg IIRC, which is wrong. Meat, egg and spring onion is the fundamentals for toppings, and a couple of sheets of nori.

Associate
Fried rice with left over smoked short rib and an egg!
48121669346_f5ca23ab3c_c.jpg

Caporegime
I left my sister a couple portions of broth, eggs and marinated pork belly for them to serve up. This photo better illustrates how thick I like to have the pork belly sliced so they need to be super soft, or else it will feel like biting into a pork chop which is not good.

nKt9GL3.jpg

Looks amazing. Recipe? I got a load of porks bones in the week to make my own broth was going to make tonkotsu but that is a two day ordeal and I'm not sure when I'll have the oppurtunity for that so may do a normal Miso

This instance I actually bought the broth off Sous Chef, IMO it is VERY good, restaurant quality good. In fact, i would go as far to say it is Japan Ramen Shop level good.

Caporegime
That looks fabulous Ray. I'm just looking on the sous chef www could you clarify which of their products you use please? Thanks.

It’s the one in the silver bag, unbranded. This is the miso one, I think the Tonkotsu one is out of stock. The miso one has a very small hint of chilli to it which is very nice.

https://www.souschef.co.uk/products/miso-ramen-soup-base

And these noodles, they are really good.

https://www.souschef.co.uk/products/ramen-noodles-x-3?variant=16898838921274

Associate
That ramen looks fantastic Raymond - i'd love to have a go myself, but I tried making some marinated egg yolks a while back and they were unbearably salty. Any tips? I followed a couple of recipes for soy/mirin ratio, but even leaving them in for half the time stated they were practically inedible. Could my soy sauce be the culprit, and if so, any recommendations? Could you share your egg method/any tips?

Last edited:
Caporegime
That ramen looks fantastic Raymond - i'd love to have a go myself, but I tried making some marinated egg yolks a while back and they were unbearably salty. Any tips? I followed a couple of recipes for soy/mirin ratio, but even leaving them in for half the time stated they were practically inedible. Could my soy sauce be the culprit, and if so, any recommendations? Could you share your egg method/any tips?

I take bits from this video.

To marinate the meat

Char siu Sauce -

150ml soy sauce
100ml mirin
100ml sake
1tbs sugar
1tsp salt
50ml water
50ml boito stock soup (optional) Or I throw in a handful of Bonito flakes (dried fish flakes)

Boiled Eggs-

50% Char siu sauce
50% water

Pour the sauce and water until it covers the eggs. Having a paper towel on top of the eggs help soak the sauce evenly. This also applies to the pork.

When you boil the egg, wait for water to boil and put it in for 6min 30. 7min MAX then take it out and straight into cold water.

So you dilute the sauce you made for the meat by half, you can leave it for 1-2 days marinade and it will still be perfect.

Caporegime
Thank you - will give it a go! Light or dark soy? Are there different types of sake/mirin I should look out for?

Light Soy. In terms of Mirin, I like to get the one from Sous Chef but the bottles are relatively small and you need quite a lot of it so last time I just got a 150ml bottle from Sainsbury's. The Sake I got it from Japan, but also tried some from Waitrose, it works.

Soldato
V0G45q.jpg

Breakfast today at Singl-End. Altamura bread with smashed avocado, halloumi, poached eggs and bacon. Was goooood :)

VGVpNY.jpg

xx6Uqi.jpg

4eroMh.jpg

qZhfd4.jpg

02KBg2.jpg

NIwDXX.jpg

Had lunch today at Six By Nico, trying out the Catalonia theme. I got a £50 voucher for my birthday, so I had the meal and the wine pairing for a change. Enjoyed it :)

ppuVpC.jpg

Got a salad bowl for Sprigg for dinner. Got a really nice honey and chipotle dressing on it. So fresh and tasty :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom