The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
1000077834-01.jpg

Nice plate, don’t ya think?… :D:cry:

Meanwhile, the holiday found me :D (Perfect timing as I pulled onto the driveway after work)

Last edited:
Soldato
Never tried Bass, then when I wanted to it was scorned at... Might also explain why Cod is struggling as well.

North Sea cod : Why is it off the menu again?

North Sea cod has had a troubled history, and despite years of work to bring it back to sustainable levels, the state of the stock has once again declined to a worryingly low level. A combination of fishing pressure and environmental changes, the population is so small that its ability to reproduce may be impaired. All of the cod populations around the UK are in a similar position, making this iconic species one of the least sustainable fish to be caught in UK waters, and urgent action is needed to bring it back to healthy levels.

And is sea bass coming back?

UK sea bass has come off the Fish to Avoid list. This shows what can be achieved when management of fish stocks starts to improve. After being heavily fished for decades, a series of measures brought in over the last few years have reduced fishing pressure, the first step in giving sea bass a chance to recover. Populations are still at very low levels and there is a long way to go to get this fishery well managed and in a healthy state, but this species shows how beneficial good fisheries management can be.

TBH I've always ignored what is and what is not on the limited Brit's menu this day/week/month. (If it ain't cod bs)

The bass I cooked was farmed and tbh I gave 99% of it to my old age pensioner cat (she loved it) as it for me lacked texture, taste and flavour.

If you get the chance to eat locally caught bass (Eastbourne produces some of the best locally) I feel you should really try it (Was on The Gun menu recently)

Back to coming back and going out...Just eat what you want and ignore the ******** merchants :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
TBH I've always ignored what is and what is not on the limited Brit's menu this day/week/month. (If it ain't cod bs)

The bass I cooked was farmed and tbh I gave 99% of it to my old age pensioner cat (she loved it) as it for me lacked texture, taste and flavour.

If you get the chance to eat locally caught bass (Eastbourne produces some of the best locally) I feel you should really try it (Was on The Gun menu recently)

Back to coming back and going out...Just eat what you want and ignore the ******** merchants :cry:
I might just do that at some point, I do love Cod and was looking for it on the Menu there, I saw Haddock and chips and thought nope. But the burger did make up for it.

Soldato
UK sea bass has come off the Fish to Avoid list. This shows what can be achieved when management of fish stocks starts to improve. After being heavily fished for decades, a series of measures brought in over the last few years have reduced fishing pressure, the first step in giving sea bass a chance to recover. Populations are still at very low levels and there is a long way to go to get this fishery well managed and in a healthy state, but this species shows how beneficial good fisheries management can be.

Yes we have locally policed bass nurseries and area's that netters are not permitted to net, which has resulted in a really large and healthy population of bass and also the same for many other species that fell foul of the nets that were mostly placed to collect bait for lobster and crab pots.
I have seen that same on my travels, with Poole harbour being a recent one that is also a bass nursery and you can expect a fast response if caught lure fishing in these areas.

Personally I would love to see more done as you see in America and the Republic of Ireland when it comes to fishing and conservation, with tougher fines and bodies that actually work.

I grew up on game and seafood due to living near the coast and countryside and have carried that with that throughout my life and will eat just about every/any thing.

This seems to be growing more in the UK (esp restaurants doing the 25m [The gun for example]) and I would love to see less of our brilliant seafood being exported and used more in the UK, to replace the fish 'we always eat' that is becoming harder to find and more expensive.

I thinking it was time before my last visit that the Gun had Rye Bay bass and scallops on the menu...

Last edited:
Associate
Yes we have locally policed bass nurseries and area's that netters are not permitted to net, which has resulted in a really large and healthy population of bass and also the same for many other species that fell foul of the nets that were mostly placed to collect bait for lobster and crab pots.
I have seen that same on my travels, with Poole harbour being a recent one that is also a bass nursery and you can expect a fast response if caught lure fishing in these areas.

Personally I would love to see more done as you see in America and the Republic of Ireland when it comes to fishing and conservation, with tougher fines and bodies that actually work.

I grew up on game and seafood due to living near the coast and countryside and have carried that with that throughout my life and will eat just about every/any thing.

This seems to be growing more in the UK (esp restaurants doing the 25m [The gun for example]) and I would love to see less of our brilliant seafood being exported and used more in the UK, to replace the fish 'we always eat' that is becoming harder to find and more expensive.

I thinking it was time before my last visit that the Gun had Rye Bay bass and scallops on the menu...
Fun fact. The OH used to work for a Fisherman who caught scallops local and sold them into the spanish market, he always used to give us a big bag full of 'em when in saeson which we used to pass onto the our neighbour as we didn't like to offend. As you can tell none of us are big shellfish eaters. Infact I tried some crab once in eastbourne which sent me into quite a strange spin :D

Back
Top Bottom