The **Now Eating** Thread

Associate
Inspired by the ramen recipe yesterday, made my own variation for a spicy teriaki beef noodle soup today. It was pretty fantastic! Didn't take a pic but here's the recipe (hopefully it's complete)

1. Ingredients (serves 2-3 as a meal, 4 as a starter)

400g rump steak

teriaki sauce
fish sauce
oyster sauce
soy sauce
lemon grass paste (optional)
sugar

4 knorr beef stock pots or enough beef stock to make 2 liters worth

1 white onion
1 red onion (optional)
1 bunch of spring onions
1 small bunch of coriander
1 red chilli + chilli flakes (optional)
ginger (1 thumb size)
2-4 garlic cloves
1 large carrot
1 red pepper
1/2 box mushrooms
1/2 box mange tout

2. prep

2.1 beef:
400g beef, cut in strips, marinaded in Teriaki sauce (overnight if possible)

2.2 soup aromatics:
chop 1 white onion finely
chop 1/2 a red chilli for medium heat, 1 red chilli + 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes for hot/spicy soup
chop 1 thumb size piece of ginger finely
add 1 large teaspoon of lemongrass paste (optional)
chop white ends parts spring onion bunch
crush 2-3 cloves of garlic (or more if you like it)

2.3 soup stock:
add 4 pots of knorr beef stock to 2 liters of boiling water, whisk until dissolved (you can dissolve in 1 liter first then add remaining water after to make it easier)
or your own preference of good quality stock (2 liters)

2.4 soup veg:
chop 1 large carrot into fine strips
chop 1 red onion (optional) into fine slices
chop 1 red pepper into fine slices
add 1/2 packet of mange tout
set aside

wash and slice 1/2 packet of mushrooms
chop 1 red pepper into fine strips
Chop a small amount of coriander
set aside

3. method:
beef + noodles + soup can be made together, put just put beef and cold noodles aside when done. They will heat again in your bowl as you pour the soup on them.

3.1 beef
stir fry beef 4-5 minutes in a bit of oil and put aside in a dish

3.2 noodles
put 1 bunch/basket of medium egg noodles per person in pan with boiled water, bring to boil and cook for 4 minutes. Rinse in cold water and set aside.

3.3 soup
add 1tbsp of oil + 1 shallow tbsp of sesame oil to wok, heat, add soup aromatics & stir fry them for 4-5 minutes until onion is soft or just before it starts to go golden
add soup stock,
add 3 shallow teaspoons of fish sauce, 2 full tbsps of oyster sauce, 2 shallow tbsps of soy sauce and a pinch of sugar to stock

Bring to boil 2-3 minutes then add carrot, mange tout and red onion
bring soup and veg to boil and cook for 4 minutes
add mushrooms and red onion and coriander and cook for 3 minutes

4. serving

Add beef and chosen amount of noodles to bowl, add soup and veg on top and let it heat the meat and noodles for 30-60 seconds. Garnish with a sprig of coriander & Eat!

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
17g fiber and 44g sugar (considering your average banana and apple has around 15g each.)

If you brush your teeth and have a decent standard of oral hygiene there is nothing wrong with sugar :rolleyes:

dont worry yourself about Wizzfizz, he likes to swing by and have his little digs at people ;)

Soldato
17g fiber and 44g sugar (considering your average banana and apple has around 15g each.)

If you brush your teeth and have a decent standard of oral hygiene there is nothing wrong with sugar :rolleyes:

lol don't post if you're going to take offence! It wasn't meant to come across like that. I have quite sensitive teeth, hence my post (hardly offensive). Also, I don't eat bananas either for the same reason :)

dont worry yourself about Wizzfizz, he likes to swing by and have his little digs at people ;)

Hardly no. Only yourself takes offence. But then you've taken offence at others commentiing also, so I shouldn't feel singled out. I'm well within my rights to pass comment on anything on the forum, as long as it's with in the rules. So you need to deal with it ;)

Ps. Don't take offence of the above.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hardly no. Only yourself takes offence. But then you've taken offence at others commentiing also, so I shouldn't feel singled out. I'm well within my rights to pass comment on anything on the forum, as long as it's with in the rules. So you need to deal with it ;)

Ps. Don't take offence of the above.

maybe try contributing to the thread a little more and post some pics of some nice food, as it is, your posts generally are just to have a dig

Soldato
maybe try contributing to the thread a little more and post some pics of some nice food, as it is, your posts generally are just to have a dig

No it's not a dig, it's you saying that and taking offence. You've done it with others passing comment also. People are well within their rights to comment, with in the rules. Last time I checked, it didn't say I had to post a picture, to be eligible to pass comment. Lets not derail this thread any more, if you wish to continue and get whatever you have off your chest, then feel free to trust me.

Man of Honour
trust msg you? lol, no.
i only saw your post because someone quoted it, the ignore list should cater being quoted but unfortunatly it doesnt :(

Soldato
lol don't post if you're going to take offence! It wasn't meant to come across like that. I have quite sensitive teeth, hence my post (hardly offensive lol). Also, I don't eat bananas either for the same reason :)

Not to worry I wasn't offended. I just naturally presumed your reference to sugar was with tooth decay rather than having sensitive teeth.

The fact people hastily critise the sugar content of foods disregarding everything else and neglecting its requirement in a diet is a bug bear of mine :p

Soldato
trust msg you? lol, no.
i only saw your post because someone quoted it, the ignore list should cater being quoted but unfortunatly it doesnt :(

Back on topic? ;)

Just had some fresh Haddock with green beans and carrots.

Not to worry I wasn't offended. I just naturally presumed your reference to sugar was with tooth decay rather than having sensitive teeth.

The fact people hastily critise the sugar content of foods disregarding everything else and neglecting its requirement in a diet is a bug bear of mine :p

No, not at all, I should have been a bit more clear :) I do have sugar, just has to be well disguised and not to overly sweet, or I'm in a world of ache!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom