The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
Tried the Arran 10 today. Fresh, grassy, notes of apple and green fruits. Not my usual style but I quite enjoyed it. Needs a drop of water to open it up a bit. A real contrast to the tamnavulin!

Associate
None of those sets are particularly inspiring tbh...

I've just ordered one of these: https://www.htfw.com/drinks-by-the-dram-extreme-whisky-tasting-set

To do a few video chats with mates over. Interested in the 57 North and the Glenfarclas 105. The Spice Tree seems to get rave reviews as well...

The first two are not bad imo, Benrinnes and Dailuaine are great malts. Haven't tried the Linkwood, but have heard good things.

The Talisker one is pretty decent as well.

The other's are definitely a bit meh though...

None of them are even approaching good value, but then I don't suppose that's the point.

Soldato
Since I started my whisky journey a couple of months ago, I have plowed through a few bottles. Not one to keep a selection, just find one I like and crack on. Well apart from the Clynelish 14, I'm keeping what is left (about a third) for some point in the future whenever as it is really good.

Glenfarclas 10 - probably my second favourite after the Clynelish, this is delicious and sweet and worth the expense @ £36.
Tamnavulin - easy going crowd pleaser, gone through two bottles as at £20 it is good stuff.
Penderyn - bought for a camping trip in Wales funnily enough. It's just ok. £25.
Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair - did not really get on with this one and don't know why. £28.
Jura Journey - this is also very nice and currently £22 on Amazon so a bargain.

I buy when on offer mainly, think Bowmore No1 will be the next one to try at £20.70.

Any good ones to try at the cheaper end of the price scale? Not ready to jump in too deep yet.

Associate
Clynelish is amazing.

I'd give the Bowmore a miss tbh. That No.1 is garbage imo, although admittedly I'm not a big Bowmore fan. If you're looking for a peaty supermarket whisky I'd go with Talisker 10 instead. Bit dearer, but well worth it. Worth picking up a Laphroaig 10, or an Ardbeg 10 if you fancy a shot of a super-peaty malt.

Associate
Since I started my whisky journey a couple of months ago, I have plowed through a few bottles. Not one to keep a selection, just find one I like and crack on. Well apart from the Clynelish 14, I'm keeping what is left (about a third) for some point in the future whenever as it is really good.

Glenfarclas 10 - probably my second favourite after the Clynelish, this is delicious and sweet and worth the expense @ £36.
Tamnavulin - easy going crowd pleaser, gone through two bottles as at £20 it is good stuff.
Penderyn - bought for a camping trip in Wales funnily enough. It's just ok. £25.
Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair - did not really get on with this one and don't know why. £28.
Jura Journey - this is also very nice and currently £22 on Amazon so a bargain.

I buy when on offer mainly, think Bowmore No1 will be the next one to try at £20.70.

Any good ones to try at the cheaper end of the price scale? Not ready to jump in too deep yet.

Clynelish is amazing.

I'd give the Bowmore a miss tbh. That No.1 is garbage imo, although admittedly I'm not a big Bowmore fan. If you're looking for a peaty supermarket whisky I'd go with Talisker 10 instead. Bit dearer, but well worth it. Worth picking up a Laphroaig 10, or an Ardbeg 10 if you fancy a shot of a super-peaty malt.

Edit:

No idea how the double post happened, I thought I was editing the original! Duh

Soldato
I had a voucher from work and top cashback also do 8% (currently) at MoM. So for £92 of my own money delivered I have these coming;

Ledaig 10
Clynelish 14
Springbank 10

Love the SB so had to get it in whilst in stock. Clynelish purely from the reviews here, and I tried the Ledaig last week and really liked it.

Soldato
Clynelish is amazing.

Edit:

No idea how the double post happened, I thought I was editing the original! Duh

Cheers, did skip it. Had a very nice Irish Redbreast 12 in a restaurant on the weekend, lovely drop so will look to buy a bottle at some point.

Also tried some Glen Scotia Double Cask last camping a couple of weeks back. Not bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right folks, not sure whether it exists but is there anything out there that is peaty (laproaig esque) but also has sweeter tones (dalmore 15 esque).

Looking to go halves with a friend but we both have different tastes! Under £50 if possible. Thanks!

Soldato
Right folks, not sure whether it exists but is there anything out there that is peaty (laproaig esque) but also has sweeter tones (dalmore 15 esque).

Looking to go halves with a friend but we both have different tastes! Under £50 if possible. Thanks!

Not sure how it compares to what you mentioned but I recently got some of the below, and to me it has some nice sweet tones, £39 amazon.

Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old Islay Single Malt

Associate
Not sure how it compares to what you mentioned but I recently got some of the below, and to me it has some nice sweet tones, £39 amazon.

Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old Islay Single Malt
While I am a big fan of Bunna it is completely unpeated, so isn't really what Kill Phil is looking for.

Laphroaig Lore or Ardbeg Uigeadail would be my suggestions as they have more of a sherry influence so are a bit sweeter, but have the peat as well. There's also talisker distillers edition. Admittedly I haven't had the Uige or talisker DE for a few years, so they may not be as sherried as the versions I remember now.

Associate

Caol Ila 12 year old fits the bill there. Fantastic whisky. If you can stretch to it, the Caol Ila 18 is glorious stuff. You may be lucky and find it for £60 ish somewhere.

Soldato
While I am a big fan of Bunna it is completely unpeated, so isn't really what Kill Phil is looking for.

Laphroaig Lore or Ardbeg Uigeadail would be my suggestions as they have more of a sherry influence so are a bit sweeter, but have the peat as well. There's also talisker distillers edition. Admittedly I haven't had the Uige or talisker DE for a few years, so they may not be as sherried as the versions I remember now.

Caol Ila 12 year old fits the bill there. Fantastic whisky. If you can stretch to it, the Caol Ila 18 is glorious stuff. You may be lucky and find it for £60 ish somewhere.

Thanks both, sure we both had a bottle of the caol a few years back so may opt for of lupis recommendations!

Associate
Thanks both, sure we both had a bottle of the caol a few years back so may opt for of lupis recommendations!

All great whiskies! I picked up a Talisker DE last week from whiskyshop.com for £44. Unfortunately it's no longer on there, but you will get the Port Ruighe on the flash sales currently. That's also a great dram, and fits the bill

Soldato
Caol Ila 15 are a dream and sound like what you're looking for, as are the laphroaig IPA barrels (if they still exist) and Lagavullin 16/21/24 sherried editions. Basically by saying laphroaig but sweeter you're asking for either a heavily peated ltd edition of a usual sherry monster, OR a sherried version of a peat monster. The latter are usually easier to find and look for sherried casks from Laphroaig, Lagavullin, Ardberg and Caol Ila. Ditto heavy peats from Bowmore, Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain. Note for the latter you need a HEAVILY peated edition. You can find these from time to time from indy bottlers. Gordon & Macphail did a cracking 8yo a few years back. Only £35 at the time. Rarer than hen's teeth these days. We drank the thing in record time at my work society thinking it was cheap and easily replaceable. When the time came no replacement could be found! :(

Soldato
Thanks ik9000, some more potentials to add to the list next time round. Settled on a bottle of talisker port Ruighe in the end so will see how I get on over the weekend.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom