The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
Mine arrived this morning! :D
Cracked one of mine last night. Unbelievably accessible right out of the bottle, almost 'too' accessible for 52.4%. The flavours are fantastic, the nose has a quality that I don't really have the right words to describe, and the marriage of smoke and sweetness on the palate is masterful. But it doesn't quite have the oomph I was hoping for in terms of weight and body. It feels much closer in strength to the 48% bottlings (quarter cask, lore etc.) than the Cask Strength 10yo (58%ish). For some that might be a good thing but I think Laphroaig shines best when it threatens to singe your nostrils.

Soldato
Cracked one of mine last night. Unbelievably accessible right out of the bottle, almost 'too' accessible for 52.4%. The flavours are fantastic, the nose has a quality that I don't really have the right words to describe, and the marriage of smoke and sweetness on the palate is masterful. But it doesn't quite have the oomph I was hoping for in terms of weight and body. It feels much closer in strength to the 48% bottlings (quarter cask, lore etc.) than the Cask Strength 10yo (58%ish). For some that might be a good thing but I think Laphroaig shines best when it threatens to singe your nostrils.

Mine is still unopened, but it sounds like I'm in for a treat.

I've only tried the 10, QC, and the Sherry Oak, haven't tried a CS yet, so I probably won't know what I'm missing.

Back
Top Bottom