The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
It's a bonny wee distillery. We do a bit of work there. Have a few photos of the 'unseen' areas. Typical old distillery in that everything is crammed in, makes doing work there challenging, but you wouldn't change it. So much character.
Yeah, there was a fair amount of building work going on when I was there. I was hoping to get to see the dunnage warehouse, but alas that is not part of the tour I was on. I did see some geese though (although I guess I should have expected that considering the name) and the wee waterfall up the back. It is a very picturesque setting.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
was looking at pitlochry for a long weekend in march

edradour and Blair Athol are in the town and aberfeldy is only about 15 minutes away, glenturret and Dalwhinnie are also with easy driving distance..how much whisky can i taste in 3 days??

Soldato
Speyside Distillery (Kingussie) is worth a visit. I think it's one of the most Southern Speyside distilleries so about an hour from Pitlochry.
Sandy, the manager, is quite generous with the measures and there is a lot to sample. I think we tried the whole range last year (15 possibly as well as the gin he makes).

FTM

FTM

Soldato
my main problem with distillery visits is my wife...she likes whisky as well

the two in the town are in easy walking distance and you can get the bus to aberfeldy

Associate
my main problem with distillery visits is my wife...she likes whisky as well

the two in the town are in easy walking distance and you can get the bus to aberfeldy

You can also get the Inverness train from Pitlochry to Dalwhinnie and Kingussie, from which you could walk or nip in a taxi to Speyside Distillery. Trains are fairly regular, at least every hour, but watch out for the last one, sometimes the smaller stations get ignored later in the day.

Soldato
So...I've got a £50 gift card (prepaid mastercard) from work to spend on a bottle of whiskey. I don't have to spend all of it, but it's difficult to spend more as it would mean splitting over 2 cards etc.

Suggestions? Current favourite is Nikka Coffey Malt having recently tried it in a bar and really enjoyed it. Any other suggestions? I generally prefer lighter, fruitier whiskies and tend not to like peated whiskies - but am open to trying anything - especially if it's a bit different.

Associate
So...I've got a £50 gift card (prepaid mastercard) from work to spend on a bottle of whiskey. I don't have to spend all of it, but it's difficult to spend more as it would mean splitting over 2 cards etc.

Suggestions? Current favourite is Nikka Coffey Malt having recently tried it in a bar and really enjoyed it. Any other suggestions? I generally prefer lighter, fruitier whiskies and tend not to like peated whiskies - but am open to trying anything - especially if it's a bit different.
Clynelish 14

Soldato

Hibiki 12 if you like Japanese

Soldato
My descent into alcoholism has taken a turn for the worse and I've had a few nice additions to my collection over the last few weeks..

gPPwCxpl.jpg

I've been quite impressed with some of the English distilleries recently. I really rate the Bimber, it's fantastic and probably one of my favourites. The Cotswolds is nice and I've also recently bought one from the Lakes Distillery which is good too. Thanks to a review on here I took a punt on the JJ Corey Gael which I'd put up there with the Bimber. Now I just need to work my way through some of them before I buy any more. Luckily a few of the bottles are mostly empty! :)

Soldato
My descent into alcoholism has taken a turn for the worse and I've had a few nice additions to my collection over the last few weeks..

gPPwCxpl.jpg

I've been quite impressed with some of the English distilleries recently. I really rate the Bimber, it's fantastic and probably one of my favourites. The Cotswolds is nice and I've also recently bought one from the Lakes Distillery which is good too. Thanks to a review on here I took a punt on the JJ Corey Gael which I'd put up there with the Bimber. Now I just need to work my way through some of them before I buy any more. Luckily a few of the bottles are mostly empty! :)

I've got the Classic Laddie and Glenfarclas, and I've been through the Talisker - Would be interested to hear your opinions on these 3 in particular mate!

Soldato
I've got the Classic Laddie and Glenfarclas, and I've been through the Talisker - Would be interested to hear your opinions on these 3 in particular mate!

I have the palate of a pleb so struggle to tell individual flavours etc but I do enjoy the Talisker and find it quite smokey. I've had a couple bottles of it and when it runs out I'll buy another. Being one of the cheaper bottles helps too as I can usually grab it for around £30! I was underwhelmed by the Classic Laddie, I find it doesn't have much smell and the taste isn't very memorable either. The bottle looks cool but that's about it. I took a chance on it but probably wouldn't buy it again, it's not bad, it's just average and there are nicer whiskies at the same price. The Glenfarclas is lovely, really smooth and very drinkable, I've only had a couple glasses of it so far though so need to get back to it.

Soldato
You're not the first to describe Glenfarclas as smooth, I'd agree.

I got the most out of the laddie with a drop of water in it. It's a very strong dram.

I liked the Talisker, but between smokey whiskys, my favourites have tended to be the Laphroaigs. Different kind of smoke I thought.

Associate
Another one from Amazon. Picked up the Caol Ila 18 the other day. Somebody stop me!
I get it. I've had to rein myself in this year. I was buying whisky at a far greater rate than I was drinking, and still not getting all the bottles I wanted to try. At my usual drinking rate what I have now would almost certainly last well in excess of 5 years. This year (and next) I'm only buying things I really want, or it's on such an incredibly good offer that is never likely to be anywhere near that price again.

Associate
The start of my Christmas 2019 whisky stash, I only drink in December so like to get some good drams in:-

1. Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength Sherry 57.1%

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom