The Offical Lian Li PC-A05 Owners Discussion/Modding Thread!

Soldato
Looks awesome and perfect size you know am very tempted, but I still got an itchy feeling if I put a hot 9800GX2 in there and all that hot air its all gonna get noisy and not so fun for me :)

I think its better if I stick with a bigger Case.....

Caporegime
OP
Hmm where would I find some black flat-head screws for that top rad grill? I thought about using those bolts you used but I don't want the heads sticking out of the top of the case so much and i'd much rather have it looking as flush as possible.

EDIT - I always wanted an excuse to search Ebay for "black nuts".

EDIT EDIT - Ok nkm I ordered everything to fix the rad grill, those allan bolts will be fine.

Oh, what do you guys suggest for making the HD cage removeable... I just want something that will keep it nicely in place yet be quick and easy to unfasten.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ok, so those self-clinching nuts seem to go into the holes created for the HD cages that the rivets were punched out of and stay stuck there after they've been pressed in?

Caporegime
OP
Listen as I said previously, when you talk to me about anything DIY-related, you need to pretend you are talking to a remedial kid being asked to re-take his "DIY For Noobs" exam for the eleventh time. :D

Caporegime
OP
I'm also thinking about if I can turn the hD cage around so that it all mounts with the HD's facing the side of the case inst6ead of the graphics card... I may be able to bodge some sort of frame to fix it there. It's weird, i've never modded before but I have a bug for it now, I keep looking at things I can do to make it perfect. :)

Caporegime
OP
Well... thread revival here, but yesterday I finished off the case and got all my stuff into it. I modded the intake fans for 7v, and the dual exhausts for 5v... the thing is damn near silent (or at least what I consider silent)... much quieter than my TJ09 with it's loud central fan and very vibration-prone case. Anyway the results are good, though it needs a bit of tweaking... I have my HSF positioned next to an intake and currently have no fan attached to it... i'm relying on the case fan intake to cool the HSF, and it does work but temps are around 51c idle, so quite high. I'll add a fan to it on 7v and that should do the trick.

I'll try and egt pics later... wires are horrifically messy though. :)

Associate
Great news Richdog, can't wait to see some pics.:)

I've had my system built for about a month now and I am very happy with the case and new computer.

I added 2 new switches to the front of the case, a 22mm Delrin Vandal Resistant Illuminated Black - Blue Ring for the on/off and a 16mm Delrin Vandal Resistant Illuminated Black - Blue Dot for the reset/hdd activity.

I'm also thinking of putting in a load of Thermalright stuff in the case now, 2 chipset coolers and 2 mosfet coolers as my Asus Rampage Formula is running a bit hot.

Not surprising realy as i've got my Intel Q9450 overclocked to 3.6ghz and 4x1gb sticks of ram in it.

Also I've got a BFG GeForce 9800 GX2 in there and it kicks out loads of heat into the case as it is not a vented graphics card.

I've ordered a Lian Li BS-03 cooler to vent the hot air from the graphics card out the back of the case. It should help with the heat.

All 5 yate's @ 12V about 1400 RPM

Graphics card fan @ 1000 RPM

My current (idle) temps according to Everest Ultimate Edition are:

Motherboard = 35 C

CPU Core 1 = 47 C
CPU Core 2 = 44 C
CPU Core 3 = 44 C
CPU Core 4 = 44 C

Northbridge = 53 C
Southbridge = 43 C

GPU 1 = 51 C
GPU 2 = 49 C

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

Associate
Hi all,

Ordered one of these today along with a few other bits. The intention is to build a silent as possible PC. I have ideas about the case, but haven't made a final decision into what components are going inside.

Out of interest, any recommendations for very quiet power supplies?

Will keep you posted... :D

Caporegime
OP
Great news Richdog, can't wait to see some pics.:)

I've had my system built for about a month now and I am very happy with the case and new computer.

I added 2 new switches to the front of the case, a 22mm Delrin Vandal Resistant Illuminated Black - Blue Ring for the on/off and a 16mm Delrin Vandal Resistant Illuminated Black - Blue Dot for the reset/hdd activity.

I'm also thinking of putting in a load of Thermalright stuff in the case now, 2 chipset coolers and 2 mosfet coolers as my Asus Rampage Formula is running a bit hot.

Not surprising realy as i've got my Intel Q9450 overclocked to 3.6ghz and 4x1gb sticks of ram in it.

Also I've got a BFG GeForce 9800 GX2 in there and it kicks out loads of heat into the case as it is not a vented graphics card.

I've ordered a Lian Li BS-03 cooler to vent the hot air from the graphics card out the back of the case. It should help with the heat.

All 5 yate's @ 12V about 1400 RPM

Graphics card fan @ 1000 RPM

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

Sounds awesome man... if I were you though i'd get all those Yates running at 7v... the difference will be dramatic. :)

I forgot to add i'm also running my GPU passive with the Accelero S1... ideally I would have changed my CPU HSF orientation to blow up ontp it... but it's too late now there's no way i'm taking it all out again. :D

Hi all,

Ordered one of these today along with a few other bits. The intention is to build a silent as possible PC. I have ideas about the case, but haven't made a final decision into what components are going inside.

Out of interest, any recommendations for very quiet power supplies?

Will keep you posted... :D

Corsair HX620... it's as damn near silent as i've heard and has very neat and tidy modular cabling. :)

Associate
Nice one Cybershot, another member of the A05 club. :)

Its a great case.

I can also recommend the HX620, modular is the way to go with small cases and it's silent.

Back
Top Bottom