*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Soldato
A bit of an open question, but what do people love about MacOS? (Worried I'm missing out on it's benefits)

I prefer Apple because it suits me and I love the integration between all the devices. I used a Lenovo Windows laptop for a year before switching back because of various frustrations with the OS and having to have a linux VM for all my work.

Now I can write code using Sublime Text, execute in Terminal, for my workflow it's perfect. If I did leave the Apple ecosystem in the future I would be for Linux. Windows needs to make a lot of improvements for me to go back.

The way jonneymendoza keeps popping up to support Windows in this thread when I'm discussing this in IRL I keep expecting a tap on the shoulder and him to shout "Windows can do all that..." and walk off. :p

Caporegime
A bit of an open question, but what do people love about MacOS? (Worried I'm missing out on it's benefits)

It's the little things.

I have 2 machines at work, a PC running Windows 10 and an MBP, at home I am 100% Mac, I am comfortable switching between them on the fly. I am the minority that I like the Magic Mouse for instance. I like the touchpad surface of the mouse where I can sweep between virtual desktops quickly. I can scroll with the lightest of a flick. I like how iMessage goes between the phone and the computer.

I do very few things compare to most people on my computers

Email
Web - forums, news, and videos like YouTube/Netflix
PS
LR

I don't game on it so there are, or should be very little bloat, I can probably switch back to full windows no problem but it's been 10 years now with Mac I just got to like it. As above though, because I don't game much, I think my next computer, instead of spending whatever it is these days to replace the iMac, probably close to £3k, I am probably just going to get a NUC and put windows 10 on it. I still have my new MBP for Mac stuff.

Soldato
I’ve never found a windows laptop as good as the Mac one. Even the windows precision trackpads arnent as good.

How do I get iMessage on windows?

How do I install windows 10 without the junk?

How do I install safari on windows to pick up my browser tabs?

How do I set up windows to unlock with my watch?
WhatsApp message is used by many compared to imessage and so is Google chrome.

You can auto unlock a Google watch based on where you live like you can on an Google phone too as ie when your at home you don't need to enter a pin etc to access your phone or watch.

How do I play the the latest pc games on mac? Can you get 2080 or even 1080 gpu macs yet?

Soldato
Having spent parts of my life full mac and full windows I can safely say it’s just personal preference.

While windows *can* do all the eco system stuff said in here it does require significant configuration and specific hardware. Apple on the other hand offers a simple out of the box experience.

My main gripe with people that say there isn’t any hardware (remember the OS IS personal preference) that compares to Mac simply isn’t true because:

MacBook Air - Surface Laptop, the trackpad is slightly worse but it’s made up with the excellent touch screen. It’s an excellent bit of kit. It’s also much cheaper.

iPad Pro - surface pro. Given the iPad Pro is marketed as a PC replacement (particularly the 12”) I know which I would prefer.... (it isn’t the iPad...). Again cheaper.

That said the out of the box experience Apple offers IS far superior due to the lack of configuration needed and excellent cloud services. Microsoft wouldn’t be allowed to do it even if they could due to their market dominance. Imagine Microsoft or google locked down their devices to only use their own stores? The competition watchdogs would lay the smack down on them as quickly as you can say M$

Soldato
Having spent parts of my life full mac and full windows I can safely say it’s just personal preference.

While windows *can* do all the eco system stuff said in here it does require significant configuration and specific hardware. Apple on the other hand offers a simple out of the box experience.

My main gripe with people that say there isn’t any hardware (remember the OS IS personal preference) that compares to Mac simply isn’t true because:

MacBook Air - Surface Laptop, the trackpad is slightly worse but it’s made up with the excellent touch screen. It’s an excellent bit of kit. It’s also much cheaper.

iPad Pro - surface pro. Given the iPad Pro is marketed as a PC replacement (particularly the 12”) I know which I would prefer.... (it isn’t the iPad...). Again cheaper.

That said the out of the box experience Apple offers IS far superior due to the lack of configuration needed and excellent cloud services. Microsoft wouldn’t be allowed to do it even if they could due to their market dominance. Imagine Microsoft or google locked down their devices to only use their own stores? The competition watchdogs would lay the smack down on them as quickly as you can say M$
It depends what you need to configure . Windows 10 requires almost the same amount of configuration as a mac for my needs nowadays

Installing and setting up Adobe software is the same on both Android studio same on both etc.

I like how it's much easier to search for things in explorer vs finder for files and handling and editing environment variables is easier on Windows as there is an actual UI for it lol

Any coder knows about environment variables :)

Man of Honour
@jonneymendoza are you just going to keep going on with the same rhetoric in this thread about posting alternates to MacOS, saying x/y/z laptop far exceeds a MacBook Pro for a/b/c reason?

If I were to go into a laptop or Windows 10 thread posting the same stuff you do but saying MacBook's are better etc over and over again it would be seen as trolling.

Some of what you say is true, but other stuff is pure conjecture and plain incorrect. I really don't understand your agenda.

Soldato
@jonneymendoza are you just going to keep going on with the same rhetoric in this thread about posting alternates to MacOS, saying x/y/z laptop far exceeds a MacBook Pro for a/b/c reason?

If I were to go into a laptop or Windows 10 thread posting the same stuff you do but saying MacBook's are better etc over and over again it would be seen as trolling.

Some of what you say is true, but other stuff is pure conjecture and plain incorrect. I really don't understand your agenda.
Its my opinion.

I'm free to express that and I've also tried to just compare hardware but os was mentioned.

Nowhere in this forum does it state that only apple fanboys can comment here .

Your free to comment on the Windows thread Many apple and Linux fans do actually

Soldato
Its my opinion.

I'm free to express that and I've also tried to just compare hardware but os was mentioned.

You are but you've become irritating. AndyCr15 asked a specific question about macOS and the question was answered.

You then decided to post "but Windows can do that too". Why do you feel the need to constantly promote Windows even when no one is asking the question?

Soldato
It depends what you need to configure . Windows 10 requires almost the same amount of configuration as a mac for my needs nowadays

I meant for ecosystem features like backup and browser syncing etc.

Apple = sign in
Windows/android = research apps, install apps, sign up/buy, sign in on each device.

It’s all possible to get going on windows/android, it’s just a lot of effort to get going.

Man of Honour
You are but you've become irritating. AndyCr15 asked a specific question about macOS and the question was answered.

You then decided to post "but Windows can do that too". Why do you feel the need to constantly promote Windows even when no one is asking the question?

Exactly. It wouldn't be so bad but it's factually incorrect and misinformation about stuff no one is really asking about, in a thread which has nothing to do with the subject he is repeating over and over.

Or commonly known as trolling...

Soldato
I meant for ecosystem features like backup and browser syncing etc.

Apple = sign in
Windows/android = research apps, install apps, sign up/buy, sign in on each device.

It’s all possible to get going on windows/android, it’s just a lot of effort to get going.
True but the likes of chrome and WhatsApp are more popular then the apple equivalent.

One time sign in using your Google Facebook or twitter account makes signing in /syncing really easy and those are apps that are not controlled by apple at all and more popular then what apple has.

So in theory many will still have to install and sign in/register to those services separately.

WhatsApp twitter Facebook Spotify amazon Netflix etc are not pre installed in a mac os and they are not tied to a single apple account.

You need to do the exact same as in Windows by hunting down the apps /websites and logging in or registering.

Soldato
Looks like the keyboard on my August purchased MBP is starting to play up. I’ll quite often get a double E when I’m clearly pressing the key once and it seems to be getting worse. Have had it with other keys occasionally too.

Definitely regretting my decision to go for an MBP again now but I’ll get some compressed air in it before I book in at an Apple store.

Soldato
Looks like the keyboard on my August purchased MBP is starting to play up. I’ll quite often get a double E when I’m clearly pressing the key once and it seems to be getting worse. Have had it with other keys occasionally too.

Definitely regretting my decision to go for an MBP again now but I’ll get some compressed air in it before I book in at an Apple store.
Its the deal breaker reason why I diddnt go for a macbook-pro . The keyboard. But I thought they fixed it in 2018 version ?

Soldato
Its the deal breaker reason why I diddnt go for a macbook-pro . The keyboard. But I thought they fixed it in 2018 version ?

Apple changed the design and everyone speculated it was an attempt to fix the problem. However, Apple never stated that the design change was to fix the keyboard issue.

Soldato
Yeah they never stated that they fixed the problem but it was thought that the additional membrane would help with reliability. Clearly it's still not good enough. Now I'm debating whether to get this fixed and then sell it on or to brave it and keep hold of it and just cross my fingers when the warranty is up.

Even just typing this out I've had three double E instances. I'm getting bored of correcting it so may just start leaving it now :D

Man of Honour
I wouldn't consider an MBP until they demonstrably fix the butterfly keyboard or replace it. I had hoped the membrane would have fixed it but it's not sounding like it has.

Maybe we're just 'typing it wrong' :(

Soldato
Apple changed the design and everyone speculated it was an attempt to fix the problem. However, Apple never stated that the design change was to fix the keyboard issue.

Yeah they never stated that they fixed the problem but it was thought that the additional membrane would help with reliability. Clearly it's still not good enough. Now I'm debating whether to get this fixed and then sell it on or to brave it and keep hold of it and just cross my fingers when the warranty is up.

Even just typing this out I've had three double E instances. I'm getting bored of correcting it so may just start leaving it now :D

The official reasoning behind the membrane was that it was there to stop debris getting into the butterfly mechanism and causing the stickyness/keys issue.

Soldato
The official reasoning behind the membrane was that it was there to stop debris getting into the butterfly mechanism and causing the stickyness/keys issue.

The official reason for the changes to the keyboard design are to make it quieter. Apple have gone out of their way to deny they made any design changes to improve reliability.

Caporegime
Talk to me about the 2018 13” Pro... I’ve got a 2011 Air which needs a new battery and a 2012 (!! When did that happen) desktop with an i5 3570K, 16GB RAM and integrated graphics (passive system, built for Lightroom) which is not doing well with 4K video that I’m starting to play with.

I’m thinking about getting a 13” i5/16GB/512 to replace both machines and wondering what it’s like for Lightroom and video editing (playing around with Resolve at the moment). I’m sure it’ll be fine for the photos but has anyone done any video editing on the 13? I’m not doing anything particularly power hungry, just some basic GoPro editing - are the previews and timelines pretty fluid? What’s the noise like when it starts to ramp up? Just reading the previous page it sounds like it can get a bit noisy when pushed?

If I get one, any recommendations on a dock? I’ve always liked the idea of a henge dock in the past, but something with proper Gb Ethernet, (mini)DisplayPort (for a 1440p screen) and USB 3 is really all I need.

And finally, less important, do the MacBooks fit into old Air sleeves? They’re fatter, but shorter so I’m thinking they might? I have a Thule water resistant sleeve that they don’t make any more which is quite like to keep if possible.

Back
Top Bottom