Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'm tempted. A base model 14" would probably do me. I have an M1 MacBook Air and I also had a 16" i9 MacBook Pro which I recently sold because the M1 Air was just better for everything I do (with regards to size, battery life etc). It seems the M1 Pro isn't substantially faster than the M1 in the Air so I wouldn't be considering it for CPU performance reasons, but battery, slightly larger screen (but not too much larger), more RAM, 120Hz XDR screen and more ports are kind of worthwhile upgrades.

Base 14" is £1900 so would 'only' cost me £1300 after selling my Air for an easy £600. Or perhaps I should just wait it out a year. That's the sensible move, but I want something new to play with.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

They are just MacBook Pros. From what I've seen many people with little interest in cutting edge tech have had MacBook Pros in the past. Just because Apple have released a new CPU doesn't change that.

In terms of memory this has been tested to death on Youtube when the M1 first came out.
There have been production based tests on M1 16gb vs 8gb. The 16gb was of course faster but not by much. No difference in Logic Pro processing 90 tracks, 11% faster in Xcode benchmarks, 17 seconds faster in Lightroom classic exporting 50 42mp raw files. No difference in FCPX in 4k 10bit exporting, but really came into its own in 8k video processing the 8gb model was miserable there.

yeah, I just meant specific workflows where more RAM tends to be more useful. Obviously if you're type of work has very little affect on ram usage then it doesnt matter, but there are plenty of use cases where it does matter and will help more.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Mine's just arrived :D

Enjoy! Still refreshing the UPS tracking to get an update on when mine might arrive from China. Said Friday at the latest but I'm hoping it will be sooner. It left China early yesterday so fingers crossed for delivery tomorrow or Thurs. Using a base spec Mac Mini for work has been painful at times.

Soldato
People will regret 16

apple even shipped to all reviewers units with at least 32…

I've been on 16GB for a few years and it doesn't seem to be a blocker. My workflow isn't going to change, unless you're editing extremely large file I don't think its going to be a problem for most.

I’m looking forward to seeing what ProMotion is like.

Your probably not going to notice it much unless you do a lot of scrolling. It's much more beneficial on a phone than it is on a laptop.

Soldato
Enjoy! Still refreshing the UPS tracking to get an update on when mine might arrive from China. Said Friday at the latest but I'm hoping it will be sooner. It left China early yesterday so fingers crossed for delivery tomorrow or Thurs. Using a base spec Mac Mini for work has been painful at times.

I'm curious if you are using the base spec mini and it's painful, then what were you using before? It must have been slower otherwise you wouldn't have gone for the mini in the first place.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm curious if you are using the base spec mini and it's painful, then what were you using before? It must have been slower otherwise you wouldn't have gone for the mini in the first place.

Had an M1 macbook pro with 16GB ram from work but I quit my job about a week ago and bought this as a stop gap until the new macbook arrives. I needed something I could walk into an apple store and get and I wanted something that I could return within the 2 week period. I would have maybe got a macbook pro again but the Mac Mini seems safer from a "I can be sure I won't mark or damage it at all before I return it".

I would have got a higher spec if I could but this was all they had in store.

Permabanned
Mine's here also! :D

IMG-0023.jpg

Permabanned

Strange that yours is coming from China and via UPS, most on here are getting direct from Syncreon UK via DPD...

Mine was a custom order and has just been delivered :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
Strange that yours is coming from China and via UPS, most on here are getting direct from Syncreon UK via DPD...

Mine was a custom order and has just been delivered :D

I think it depends entirely on spec. There are certain models that are non-base specs that they will have in the UK already. Anything outside of those will come from China and be built to order.

What spec did you get?

A good test is usually if you can spec it on the website and pick up from a store then its one of their "popular configs" that they keep stock of in the UK.

Permabanned
I think it depends entirely on spec. There are certain models that are non-base specs that they will have in the UK already. Anything outside of those will come from China and be built to order.

What spec did you get?

A good test is usually if you can spec it on the website and pick up from a store then its one of their "popular configs" that they keep stock of in the UK.

Just the CPU 10/16/16

What spec did you go for? I am sure yours will be with you soon, it is worth the wait this thing is a monster!

Soldato
According to the Apple online store most of the current models are available for pick up from my local (I say local, it's a good 90mins away) store from tomorrow yet are showing a home delivery window of 17-24th November. Is this just typical Apple supply chain?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Just the CPU 10/16/16

What spec did you go for? I am sure yours will be with you soon, it is worth the wait this thing is a monster!

Yeah, thats considered a base spec. Just checked on the website and you can get that spec to pickup today from an apple store.

I've gone for the base spec but with 32GB ram. I reckon mine will be here tomorrow or thurs but it will be Friday at the latest. Excited for it!

Man of Honour
According to the Apple online store most of the current models are available for pick up from my local (I say local, it's a good 90mins away) store from tomorrow yet are showing a home delivery window of 17-24th November. Is this just typical Apple supply chain?

Yeah; they usually make some stock available via Retail stores; its separate stock

Permabanned
First thing that struck me was the sound quality, night and day difference compared to my 2014 MacBook Pro, there is actually bass now!

One thing I don't like is the lid is not as tight as my old MacBook, not sure if this is an issue or what they are all like now.

The form factor is very PowerBook G4 like!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom