Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
My 2021 14" MacBook Pro (10 Core) Geekbench Scores:-

Single-Core Score: 1764
Multi-Core Score: 12585

Wife's 2021 14" MacBook Pro (8 Core) Geekbench Scores:-

Single-Core Score: 1768
Multi-Core Score: 9965

My 2014 13" MacBook Pro (2 Core) Geekbench Scores:-

Single-Core Score: 703
Multi-Core Score: 1549

My Ryzen 5950X Desktop (16 Cores) Geekbench Scores:-

Single-Core Score: 1717
Multi-Core Score: 17615
Strange how all the single core scores are roughly the same as the AMD desktop score (Apart from the 2014 macbook)

I just tested my ipad M1 pro with this bench and got
1722 single score
7292 multi score

Permabanned
Just checked my Activity Monitor after a normal days worth of use and found the 'WindowServer' is using 8GB of my ram!

Either there is a memory leak in the new OS or I should have gone for 32GB! :mad:

I will see if it continues to increase tomorrow.

Soldato
That's pretty weird, is there much running? I've just checked mine right now and I only have a few apps open (Chrome, Remote Desktop, Apple Music, FileZilla and Excel), I haven't rebooted since I updated it to 12.0.1 last night and my WindowServer process is only using 472MB.

Permabanned
That's pretty weird, is there much running? I've just checked mine right now and I only have a few apps open (Chrome, Remote Desktop, Apple Music, FileZilla and Excel), I haven't rebooted since I updated it to 12.0.1 last night and my WindowServer process is only using 472MB.

I was running for most of the day Chrome (2-3 tabs with some 4k YouTube now and again), Outlook, Word and Excel. Nothing taxing.

Everything closed now and still showing 8GB, it was on 265MB when I started the computer this morning...

Soldato
Is anyone running their MacBook Pro 14” connected to single/multiple external displays with a separate keyboard and mouse/trackpad?

Is it a viable replacement for a desktop computer? Would love to see a few pictures of your workstation setup if you’re using it like this!

Associate
define a desktop computer.... you should be asking: what are your needs? plenty of Mac users have used their Macintoshes in docked mode to a monitor for many years as their main device for computing!

Soldato
define a desktop computer.... you should be asking: what are your needs? plenty of Mac users have used their Macintoshes in docked mode to a monitor for many years as their main device for computing!

Connected to a large 34”ultra wide monitor. Running 10-20 chrome tabs. Photo editing software. Scripting/coding software. Maybe a windows ARM or Linux virtual machine.

I find that my current 2019 MacBook Air can feel sluggish even when running just a bunch of chrome tabs when connected to a 4k /1440p external display.

Soldato
Is anyone running their MacBook Pro 14” connected to single/multiple external displays with a separate keyboard and mouse/trackpad?

Is it a viable replacement for a desktop computer? Would love to see a few pictures of your workstation setup if you’re using it like this!
Will this suffice:

97dVUvAl.jpg
This is my 16” (soon to be replaced by an M1 Pro 16” as soon as I can get my hands on one).
Logitech MX Keys keyboard, MX Master 3 mouse and Dell Alienware 34 inch monitor.

This has been my main workstation since I purchased it 2 years ago. It wipes the floor with my desktop PC that has been relegated to gaming machine only now.

Soldato
Will this suffice:

97dVUvAl.jpg
This is my 16” (soon to be replaced by an M1 Pro 16” as soon as I can get my hands on one).
Logitech MX Keys keyboard, MX Master 3 mouse and Dell Alienware 34 inch monitor.

This has been my main workstation since I purchased it 2 years ago. It wipes the floor with my desktop PC that has been relegated to gaming machine only now.

Very Nice :cool: That's basically my current setup except I also have an older desktop PC I use with it and my current Macbook Air, a 34" Ultrawide with a Logitech MX Master Mouse. Trying to decide whether to buy an Apple Magic Keyboard or a Logitech MX Keys Mini (I prefer keyboards without the Numpad!) to go with my Macbook.

My intention was to ditch the desktop and move to a better spec laptop as my primary device. I used to game a lot on PC but now I just use my Playstation/Switch so I'm not bothered about not being able to run PC games. My desktop is 5 years old so struggles with most newer games anyway and my PS5 wipes the floor with it!

Why chrome over safari?

A couple of the companies I support use Google Workspace. Plus, due to using both a Macbook and Windows Desktop, most of my mobile stuff is stored in Google Chrome so I can switch between them more easily. With a better spec laptop I could ditch the Windows Desktop and just use Safari with the Apple Ecosystem/Cloud services for personal stuff. I'd still need Chrome for work though.

Last edited:
Associate

I'm running mine hooked up to a 48 inch lg oled TV at 4k. It's amazing !! I'm doing that via a CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock, which connects to my thunderbolt external ssd and charges it and connects to ethernet all through 1 thunderbolt connection.

I absolutely love it as I can just unplug 1 cable grab the laptop use all day at work then reconnect when I'm home desktop and laptop in 1!!

Associate
Trying to decide whether to buy an Apple Magic Keyboard or a Logitech MX Keys Mini (I prefer keyboards without the Numpad!) to go with my Macbook.

The MX Keys Mini is brilliant, but I sent the silver one back and got the normal dark version... the silver one was too "light" for me and ended up with the key caps being virtually invisible in the room I'm in! Adjusting the key brightness worked to a degree, but the normal version's much better (for me). I've got the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID as well, but backlight wins over fingerprint reader.

Also picked up a few Logi Bolt receivers and an MX Master for Business that uses Bolt as well, meaning an easy swap between machines without Bluetooth getting in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom