Poll: *** The official 2023 MacBook Air 15" thread (it has a 15" screen and everything!) ***

Are you getting a 15" MacBook Air?

• Total voters
Commissario
The MacBook Air you've been waiting for is here.

It's an Air with a 15" screen. That is all.

WJkClXM.png

Now, who's getting one?

Soldato
I'd like the bigger screen as an update from my M1 13" Air, however that'd be £1400 for a 2" extension; I can't see how that would ever be financially sensible :D. Bump it to 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD and it's £1800. I can get edu discount (about 10%) but that's still £1620. When my Mrs has just quit her job and we've just had to indefinitely postpone our honeymoon, dropping £1600+ is really not a good idea.

Soldato
I'd like the bigger screen as an update from my M1 13" Air, however that'd be £1400 for a 2" extension; I can't see how that would ever be financially sensible :D. Bump it to 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD and it's £1800. I can get edu discount (about 10%) but that's still £1620. When my Mrs has just quit her job and we've just had to indefinitely postpone our honeymoon, dropping £1600+ is really not a good idea.
Bloody hell mate, didn't ask for your life story.

Soldato
I think the model i should have got is last gen's 14" M1 Pro that was on sale in John Lewis for £1700.

That Mini LED...or get the new 14" M2 in the refurb store.

The Mini-LED screen on the Pros is the best computer screen I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty of great screens. Definitely worth getting those over the Air.

Soldato
The Mini-LED screen on the Pros is the best computer screen I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty of great screens. Definitely worth getting those over the Air.
Agreed. Once you've seen the display on the Pros there's no going back. A refurbed M1 Pro from Apple would be tremendous value compared to the new Air.

Last edited:
Soldato
PWM messed me up :/ Got bad migraines with it at any brightness had to send it back.

Also I usually don't look, but $1299 is £1,046.... why the £1399 which is $1737?

I'm sure this has been discussed to death before but that's quite the differerence.

Wanting to see reports on the SSD... do you think they'll be using two ssd's for the base model or still the one like in the m2 macbook air and therefore forcing an upgrade to 512 to match the M1?

Last edited:
Soldato
PWM messed me up :/ Got bad migraines with it at any brightness had to send it back.

Also I usually don't look, but $1299 is £1,046.... why the £1399 which is $1737?

I'm sure this has been discussed to death before but that's quite the differerence.

Apple products don't include sales tax in the US at the quoted price.

1399 is 1165 excluding VAT, which gives Apple enough of a buffer for any currency value fluctuations.

Soldato
I'm quite happy with my refurb M1 MacBook pro 13 and probably will be for a good while. I probably won't consider upgrading it until they're offering 32GB base models, which at this rate might be a couple of decades. :D

I do like the look of the form factor of the 15" though.

Last edited:
Soldato
16GB and 512GB makes this £1,799.... wondering if there any alternatives for this price point... the only issue is I've tried the 14'' MBP and the screen gives me migraines (PWM) so I'm not sure there are any other options? If it wasn't a PWM option, would a refurb 14 be better value?

Associate
Really confused about which MB to get now.
Don't want to spend £1500+ on a new 15" MBA no matter how tempting they are.
So it'll be a used M1 MBA, MBP, or M2 MBA or MBP. Budget is prob up to around 700. Depends on whether 16GB is worth it or not too.

Use case is just web browsing, office type work, no need for crazy photo or video editing stuff.

Decisions, decisions...

Soldato
So it'll be a used M1 MBA, MBP, or M2 MBA or MBP. Budget is prob up to around 700. Depends on whether 16GB is worth it or not too.

Use case is just web browsing, office type work, no need for crazy photo or video editing stuff.

Decisions, decisions...

Sounds like a £300 Chromebook in all honesty.

Associate
Sounds like a £300 Chromebook in all honesty.
You're not wrong, but don't mind paying a couple hundred quid more for a premium product that'll be a joy to use and will last a number of years without issue. But the prices don't ever seem to drop on these M series chips!

Soldato

Decisions, decisions...

You're not wrong, but don't mind paying a couple hundred quid more for a premium product that'll be a joy to use and will last a number of years without issue. But the prices don't ever seem to drop on these M series chips!
Honestly if you're wanting Apple Silicone at around £700 your only option is either an M1 Mini or an M1 MBA off of eBay.
If you want premium, I would honestly do whatever you can (if possible) to bring your budget up to ~£1000 and you will have many more options available - for example the M2 MBA is available on the Apple Refurb store for £979.

Associate
Honestly if you're wanting Apple Silicone at around £700 your only option is either an M1 Mini or an M1 MBA off of eBay.
If you want premium, I would honestly do whatever you can (if possible) to bring your budget up to ~£1000 and you will have many more options available - for example the M2 MBA is available on the Apple Refurb store for £979.

I don't mind buying used, there's been a few chaps here selling M1 Airs for the ~£500-550 on the MM. Just not sure which is the best option between the M1 Air, M2 Air or one of the multiple Pro models. Now that people have figured out a way to connect it to the LG CX and get 4K 120Hz, I'm much more inclined to pull the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom