• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Soldato
I would be surprised if thats stable, real test is more in idle and doing light tasks . I had mine pass cinebench and other cpu benchmarks at -28 all cores thinking it was stable it wasnt

Last edited:
Soldato
Odd why does the bios only show 6 cores in curve optimiser? Also there is 2 sections where pbo settings are. One place is under bios settings then advanced then overclocking. And 2nd place is on overclocking tab on bios home screen. Msi being weird?

Soldato
Looks like the menu for pbo under bios settings>advanced>amd overclocking has a pbo menu which has a curve optimiser that lists all 12 cores.
Doing some testing now with co. Is it normal for the 2nd ccx cores 7-12 on the 5900x to take more negative co than the first ccx?

Caporegime
Looks like the menu for pbo under bios settings>advanced>amd overclocking has a pbo menu which has a curve optimiser that lists all 12 cores.
Doing some testing now with co. Is it normal for the 2nd ccx cores 7-12 on the 5900x to take more negative co than the first ccx?
Usually the cores that don't boost as high tolerate a larger CO.

Soldato
Ahh thats the pattern that im seeing. Crappy cores seem to accept more negative co. Best cores dont go lower than -1.
Testing just the 2nd ccd at the moment. Good thing core cycler can be configured to test cores of my choosing.

Associate
New 5900X owner here (coming from a 3900X). I plopped it in, left everything stock but changed PBO from "auto" to just "on" in BIOS.
Anything else I should do?

Soldato
iv got this info from the 5900x so far. and experimenting with curve optimiser:

Code:
Core    Max Performance Percentage   curve optimiser

0             174                        0
1             174                        0
2             170                        0
3             166                        0
4             162                        0
5             158                        0
6             145                       -12
7             154                       -5
8             141                       -7
9             137                       -10
10            150                       -10
11            133                       -15

seems to be some sort of pattern, if the MPP rating is high then less negative offset can be applied. anyone else notice this? i cant even get -2 working on the best cores (174 mpp)
currently testing -8 on core 5.
ccx2 seems to be done, i tested cores 6-11 with larger offsets overnight and they passed testing but i reduced the amount of negative offset anyways just to be on the safe side. e.g core 11 passed overnight testing at -19 but i set it to -15 and similar reduction for the other cores.
if core 5 passes on -8 overnight then will leave it at -5.
i guess with this approach im leaving some performance on the table but i still get something out of it for free i guess.
using core cycler set to 8 hour per core. takes ages. lol after that i hit that core with affinity set to that core specifically with other benches, occt, prime, adia64 and linpack. is there a better/faster way to test this?

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit late to the party joining the thread but figured this is likely the best place to ask...
Basically just want to check if what I've done is ok, I've been playing around with pbo and curve optimiser.

5950x on msi b550 mortar board, 360mm AIO cooler, infinity is 1800 to match 3600 ram.
Set max temp to 80C, everything seems to be stable and nothing obvious stands out on voltages etc

Cinebench r23 multicore is 29600 range, seems to be thermal limited as it's straight lined at 80C in ryzen master and I've seen 30k+ results

Curve Optimiser - All but 2 cores are -28, other two are -19 and -26. Results from ryzen master.
No adjustments to power draw in bios but did set PBO Scalar to x2, didn't seem to do much over x1 in all honesty.

Boost Override +200mhz (ccx 0 and ccx1 now show 5250 instead of 5000 in ryzen master)
PPT - 220
TDC - 170
EDC - 190

No real difference with 250/170/190 and 200/170/190 seems to lose 1.5K multi in r23

So as above, wanting a bit of peace of mind and/or things I could look at to tweak it etc.

Associate
Bit late to the party joining the thread but figured this is likely the best place to ask...
Basically just want to check if what I've done is ok, I've been playing around with pbo and curve optimiser.

5950x on msi b550 mortar board, 360mm AIO cooler, infinity is 1800 to match 3600 ram.
Set max temp to 80C, everything seems to be stable and nothing obvious stands out on voltages etc

Cinebench r23 multicore is 29600 range, seems to be thermal limited as it's straight lined at 80C in ryzen master and I've seen 30k+ results

Curve Optimiser - All but 2 cores are -28, other two are -19 and -26. Results from ryzen master.
No adjustments to power draw in bios but did set PBO Scalar to x2, didn't seem to do much over x1 in all honesty.

Boost Override +200mhz (ccx 0 and ccx1 now show 5250 instead of 5000 in ryzen master)
PPT - 220
TDC - 170
EDC - 190

No real difference with 250/170/190 and 200/170/190 seems to lose 1.5K multi in r23

So as above, wanting a bit of peace of mind and/or things I could look at to tweak it etc.
This thread on reddit did wonders for me. First post. Ryzen Master only ever made my system reboot when idle. Maxxed no issues...

I set all values in the bios except Max Boost: +125Mhz. I didn't bother. It hits 5150Mhz when just doing normal things like gaming on a few cores. I set and forget it as doing it thing. I used hwmonitor Version 1.44 at the time to find best cores.

All cores prime95 stress test
5950x-all-cores.jpg

I run at 3800Mhz/ 1900 IF via XMP 2 and Tmp cut off is 90 c

Last edited:
Soldato
This thread on reddit did wonders for me. First post. Ryzen Master only ever made my system reboot when idle. Maxxed no issues...

I set all values in the bios except Max Boost: +125Mhz. I didn't bother. It hits 5150Mhz when just doing normal things like gaming on a few cores. I set and forget it as doing it thing. I used hwmonitor Version 1.44 at the time to find best cores.

All cores prime95 stress test
5950x-all-cores.jpg

I run at 3800Mhz/ 1900 IF via XMP 2 and Tmp cut off is 90 c
I actually did reference that thread when I was doing my 'research' lol.

I also seem to be getting higher scores than some in that thread but with lower temps etc...ah the joys of trying to max out the performance of a cpu lol

Literally tried the settings they had on there and it came out worse what it's currently set at.... I'll have another play over the weekend, might lower the +200 boost etc. I don't expect to exactly match, I'm running 128GB of 3600mhz ram for one thing and I've capped mine at 80c.

Looking at HWInfo, the cpu table at the bottom is pretty much the same except my pbo max is 5250 instead of 5150 on yours...

HWInfo confirms my 'best' cores as being the 2 with the -19/-26 pbo.... all the others seem quite happy at -28, could likely do -30..

I'm more concerned with making sure I don't fry it than absolute performance but it seemed happy enough encoding on all cores for around 6 hours earlier today lol

Associate
I actually did reference that thread when I was doing my 'research' lol.

I also seem to be getting higher scores than some in that thread but with lower temps etc...ah the joys of trying to max out the performance of a cpu lol

Literally tried the settings they had on there and it came out worse what it's currently set at.... I'll have another play over the weekend, might lower the +200 boost etc. I don't expect to exactly match, I'm running 128GB of 3600mhz ram for one thing and I've capped mine at 80c.

Looking at HWInfo, the cpu table at the bottom is pretty much the same except my pbo max is 5250 instead of 5150 on yours...

HWInfo confirms my 'best' cores as being the 2 with the -19/-26 pbo.... all the others seem quite happy at -28, could likely do -30..

I'm more concerned with making sure I don't fry it than absolute performance but it seemed happy enough encoding on all cores for around 6 hours earlier today lol
No point going OCD with it.

Are you ok with your current performance? I wouldn't get obsessed unless you like benching as a hobby

Soldato
No point going OCD with it.

Are you ok with your current performance? I wouldn't get obsessed unless you like benching as a hobby
Yeah performance is fine for my needs, figured if it's there I might as well go and grab it type of thing... although trying to hit that magical 30,000 barrier is tempting lol...
Like I said I'm more concerned with not frying it than absolute performance so if I can run it cooler and keep the same/close performance etc I wouldn't complain either :)

Back
Top Bottom