• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 8HR Stability 1700/1700x/1800x Overclocking Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
***The Official 8HR Stability 1700/1700x/1800x Overclocking Thread***

Ok...In Typical OcUK tradition I have decided to create a thread purely for analysing overclock data and findings with Ryzen. I have been reading the other Ryzen threads and its becoming hard to track peoples findings with the chips.

So, my request is to post your clocks running 100% full load for at least 8 hours. If your clock fails before 8 hours then don't post...simple tweak and come back :)

Now, I know this is not a complete guarantee of stability but its a good place to start from.

Conditions for posting

• P95 small FFTs for CPU/FSB/NB/overall mobo stability
  • CPU-Z screenshot
  • Notepad with username and max clock
  • Vcore
  • RAM timings (if applicable)
  • Temperature
  • Type of cooling used e.g. water / air / AIO
Testing the overclock

The following applications/methods are not a requirement, but may help you validate your stability before posting.
  • Memtest86+ purely for RAM
  • HCI Memtest for RAM/NB
  • LinX or Intel Burn Test for CPU & RAM

Warning: the damage that additional heat and volts can cause as a result of overclocking a CPU as far as it will go and then stressing it for many hours is not something inexperienced people should attempt to do. It can very easily end in tears. OcUK will except no responsibility for damaged caused to CPUs, motherboards or any other components as a result. Try this at your own risk.

Mod edit: Can we keep this thread on track and not debate the length of the stability test? Screenshots are encouraged and will help validate your overclock. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion and want to come to ruin the thread then please click the "back" button, in your browser. No more warnings will be given.

Last edited:
Soldato
AIDA64 isn't compatible with Ryzen yet is it? Thought they said they needed to patch it because they didn't get any Ryzen hardware before launch?

*EDIT*

Yup:

Due to the enermous number of requests we've been receiving since the Ryzen market launch, concerning various confusions about AIDA64 and Ryzen, hereby we post a clarification. AIDA64 is currently not 100% compatible with the recently unveiled AMD Ryzen high-performance x86 processors. It's because AIDA64 still has a few issues that we need to fix. However, in order to fix those issues, we first need to run a series of very long benchmark tests on Ryzen, and that -- among with the bug fixes themselves -- will take several days to complete.

Soldato
Lol, I haven't gone for max clocks yet. 3.7ghz is hitting 85C on prime95 (stable) atm with stock cooler.

4ghz+ will need the noctua to finally arrive with am4 brackets.

Permabanned
Bios settings:

CPU Core Voltage: In offset mode
CPU offset mode sign: +
CPU Core Voltage Offset: 0.01250

CPU SOC voltage: In offset mode
VDDSOC offset mode sign: +
VDDSOC Voltage offset: 0.12500

y3mVJ6GVLHjeu9m5KERs3iayjgm2VWFqFMOwSH595WNQje-qmitFoTBAK4h0uOP0J4IW6B8MrR_7N98gTFLDJ-65no_q3P7Pcmf3XezRBmnYZNnkZxuhdQh0atTA5XYTEAiyR3bognIdSq6IzwhOq7dcuWDo2oG4H-zwksgZ6DFVHc

y3m3C5SmPpW2N2UlrlFeud_07rrNMb8mRsgaXwpDgTPiGR-kayLYSmX8RH0Kbd0NaPgH4mVxWHF80_xRG105lEHatcUQgxKH9kZVl3_Kg5E1O8_vrISIhTiHC6RIGKEIlZZoWOaiRZ21WtX7jc3fJ8RbkKXjPSn1ociblJk1mAc43M

y3mYOP95hWoHWLW0SyE1ql-VVVb5vMEL1-l2JbP-VOW6phNW7zkpJlzrev6hjY4U1AoVrD3kmZkZBxk69tTp4OenSjRla-QXGOyFBQe8zpfFtXJuQPGQ0m9Y1W4iFVu0-XBTiMs-GEI28p4J--F3_IG9-xDAMPeCfE827Orut04zXg

y3mOvA9qYmWtRD141xwooqjXv3dJ_yKnP18YcmJ5lwOM2qM_RHXCn3p165v3m-XtunnJLteUzmMTwww6pehRbuInIs4dV-tvLlPzzFpq42k5FaoHHaAUbDOWidBc5oKrdVNZTypWXO8FnvXCJXibiHWq1AxL85wkpHxNqLlQo_drkE

CPUz Validation:

http://valid.x86.fr/rnd555

Still have 3DMark to do and Realbench 2hr Test.......

Associate
Right, not being the most experienced overclocker this has taken a while to get completely stable and one thing is clear: I am not a winner of the lottery!

8+ hour Prime96 blend (I found it harder to get blend stable than either small/large on their own)
Ly5bJI9.png
NkE4ohZ.png
R1uMuqG.jpg
Vrubqv2.jpg
dkMb8TJ.jpg
DQWSHTY.jpg

Loop is all EKWB (first time doing proper water-cooling so I used their configurator)

As you can see it has taken quite a lot of voltage to get even 3.9ghz stable, perhaps of note is the fact that 3.9 is AIDA64 & Realbench stable at 1.34v vcore but small FFT P95 needed the >1.4v vcore.
At the moment the memory I have is two sticks of 2400Mhz CAS15 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 (dual rank) that I already had while I wait for my Flare-x 3200mhz C14 kit to arrive. I've left it at 2133mhz whilst I got my CPU figured out.
Despite the low ram speeds I still needed quite a large offset for the SoC to get it stable in large FFTs. I also needed to bump up the Promontory 1.05v to get it stable with my Intel 750 in the bottom pcie 2.0 4x slot (temporary, allowed me to trash an old windows install whilst crashing a lot! Will be doing a fresh install on my 960 pro in the m.2)

I've noticed that the bclock appears to drop a lot under load (down to 98mhz) regardless of whether it is set at auto or manually set to 100mhz. Does anyone else have this? Screenshots I've seen from others seem to have it pretty much bang on 100mhz.

Now that it's finally completed a run I'm going to start seeing which voltages I can shave and remain 8+ stable, could take a long time but I'll update if I get anything significantly lower or when the new RAM arrives.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
As you can see it has taken quite a lot of voltage to get even 3.9ghz stable, perhaps of note is the fact that 3.9 is AIDA64 & Realbench stable at 1.34v vcore but small FFT P95 needed the >1.4v vcore.

Now that it's finally completed a run I'm going to start seeing which voltages I can shave and remain 8+ stable, could take a long time but I'll update if I get anything significantly lower or when the new RAM arrives.

Prime really pushes that cpu...Kudos. Good idea get some vcore into the chip, run prime then rinse and repeat pulling back a notch until you find the sweet spot for your chip....

Soldato
great to see all those threads running on a chip so "relatively" cheap - as easyrider said see how low volts you can go

one thing though - maybe different with AMD platform, but I've never found small prime to fall over with anything other than CPU vcore (unless memory stupidly unstable) - only Blend tests mobo/memory stability

Caporegime
OP
great to see all those threads running on a chip so "relatively" cheap - as easyrider said see how low volts you can go

one thing though - maybe different with AMD platform, but I've never found small prime to fall over with anything other than CPU vcore (unless memory stupidly unstable) - only Blend tests mobo/memory stability

I want to know what the lowest vcore is needed for a 1700 small fft...@4ghz

Then Blend and other stress testing can reinforce ones findings. :)

Soldato
I want to know what the lowest vcore is needed for a 1700 small fft...@4ghz

Then Blend and other stress testing can reinforce ones findings. :)

Crazy voltage. I was just testing it and 1.4v if you are lucky.

That really cooks the VRMs as well, I was reading 110C+ and so I stopped running it.

3.7ghz should be prime stable for most people at 1.2v.

Soldato
I ran two hours of small fft just to find out what temps I would get at 3.95 with 1.36v.

63 max it seems. Don't know if I can be bothered running it for longer. At least not until some new bios out that can push memory higher

Soldato
Curious to know if many people have the 1800x and how that performs in comparison if anyone can enlighten me? There's obviously a lot of Ryzen content and threads but mostly seems to be the 1700 - just due to price difference or?

Toying with the idea of giving it a bash over my current 6700k in a month or so once the state of support is reflected in results... Basically tempted by X99 but as much as I spend on tech even I can't swallow the cost of the 6950. And yes I'm aware of the pros and cons based on usage, so how does the 1800 seem to be stacking up vs 1700 for you lot so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom